Pizza in Pattaya

JustAnotherHun

Hi Pizza lovers,

sadly, my favorite pizza shop in Naklua/Soi33 has closed somewhen during Covid. In the deserted street there's still an Italian restaurant left, but the wrong one (Grottino...brrr).

So I'm looking for a new pizzariolo who's able to provide a thin, cross baked pizza from a wood fired oven, without an overdose of cheap cheese. No Pizza Hat desaster, but the one you find in Italy.

Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

I like Thai, French and Japanese food, but sometimes, you know.... ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not sure which restaurant you liked that has closed but if it was Little Bella Italia (directly opposite Grottinos) then that closed before Covid and became Nikkis Bar. All that side of the soi is now awaiting demolition.

Little Bella Italia has a sister restaurant on 2nd Road almost opposite Soi 6. It is called Bella Italia and has a wood fired pizza oven. Pizzas come in medium or large size and there is a wide choice of pasta dishes too.

I really like Grottinos and was in there last week. The Rum Baba dessert was pure joy. My better half had the cherry sundae and she was well impressed too.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

Not sure which restaurant you liked that has closed but if it was Little Bella Italia (directly opposite Grottinos) then that closed before Covid and became Nikkis Bar. All that side of the soi is now awaiting demolition.

Little Bella Italia has a sister restaurant on 2nd Road almost opposite Soi 6. It is called Bella Italia and has a wood fired pizza oven. Pizzas come in medium or large size and there is a wide choice of pasta dishes too.

I really like Grottinos and was in there last week. The Rum Baba dessert was pure joy. My better half had the cherry sundae and she was well impressed too.

Good luck in your search.

You're right, it was the "Little Bella Italia" and I remember now that it was sold pre Covid, after the quality went downhill already.

When I was in Soi33 last weekend for the first time since my return I was shocked. The street once had a bit of mediterranean flair with the two Italian rstaurants and the tables on the street. All gone now.

Grottinos is a no go imo. Over the years I tried it a few times and each time the pasta was far overcooked. This time I tried a pesto and nothing has changed.

Thankyou for the sister restaurant opposite Soi6. I forgot about that and will give it a try next time.

• Like 1

Everyone's tastes are quite different.

I remember the bellas that closed down. I used to prefer it to grottino but would still go to grottinos. Now i find myself going to grottinos. It ain't perfect but it's not bad and the service is good. 

I find it hard to find a good pizza in Pattaya.

My top pick is IO Italian osteria in terminal 21 but they are not thin.

Pizza big - the pizzas are indeed thin but i stopped going after being served brown pesto. 

Bellas other restaurant is nothing compared to the soi 33 one imo. I had one there the other night where the base was cooked but the toppings weren't and cheese was barely melted. As if a precooked base was stuck under a grill for a minute to melt the cheese and appear cooked. I threw half away.

There is fusillos in naklua 18 which is very thin and pretty decent but i find too expensive (eg, extra salami 120฿).

Doms pizza is ok. Grab deliver it but it's a bit further away so i don't order it too much.

There's others but yea not much that stands out as being good enough to definitively recommend. 

IO is the best taste but it's Roman style similar to the asok bts shop and definitely not thin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Everyone's tastes are quite different.

I remember the bellas that closed down. I used to prefer it to grottino but would still go to grottinos. Now i find myself going to grottinos. It ain't perfect but it's not bad and the service is good. 

I find it hard to find a good pizza in Pattaya.

My top pick is IO Italian osteria in terminal 21 but they are not thin.

Pizza big - the pizzas are indeed thin but i stopped going after being served brown pesto. 

Bellas other restaurant is nothing compared to the soi 33 one imo. I had one there the other night where the base was cooked but the toppings weren't and cheese was barely melted. As if a precooked base was stuck under a grill for a minute to melt the cheese and appear cooked. I threw half away.

There is fusillos in naklua 18 which is very thin and pretty decent but i find too expensive (eg, extra salami 120฿).

Doms pizza is ok. Grab deliver it but it's a bit further away so i don't order it too much.

There's others but yea not much that stands out as being good enough to definitively recommend. 

IO is the best taste but it's Roman style similar to the asok bts shop and definitely not thin. 

Thankyou for the detailed reply.

You named Fussioles in Naklua/18. Was that on the left side when coming from Naklua Rd? If so, it's closed and "for rent".

Grottino once was my absolute favorite, but that was many years ago when it was owned by a Swiss guy called Reto, who later opened something on the dark side (sadly too far for a fast pizza).

When he left, his pizzariolo and some staff switched to the other side of the street to Little Bella Italia. The man knew how to make a pizza.

But anyway, with all those recommendations given in this thread I will have to check a lot.

Thanks to everybody. I wish you all many delicious meals ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

You named Fussioles in Naklua/18. Was that on the left side when coming from Naklua Rd? If so, it's closed and "for rent".

Grottino once was my absolute favorite, but that was many years ago when it was owned by a Swiss guy called Reto, who later opened something on the dark side (sadly too far for a fast pizza).

When he left, his pizzariolo and some staff switched to the other side of the street to Little Bella Italia. The man knew how to make a pizza.

But anyway, with all those recommendations given in this thread I will have to check a lot.

pizzariolo...?

Are you suggesting Grottino is not so good now?

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

pizzariolo...?

Are you suggesting Grottino is not so good now?

Sorry, wrong spelt. Must be pizzaiolo = the man who feeds the oven.

To Grottino: Imo it never was good after Reto sold it to the Italian guy, but I never had a pizza there, after my few tries with their past over the years (and last Last saturday) were alle the same uneatable stuff.

But that's only my opinion and we all know tastes are different.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

Just now, JustAnotherHun said:

Sorry, wrong spelt. Must be pizzaiolo = the man who feeds the oven.

To Grottino: Imo it never was good after Reto sold it to the Italian guy, but I never had a pizza there, after my few tries with their past over the years were alle the same uneatable stuff.

But that's only my opinion and we all know tastes are different.

I had a pizza there last year and thought it was very good. But I thought the thin crisp pizza at Frankie's was exceptional. Fresh cut Palma ham and burata cheese. Light, delicate but satisfying.

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I had a pizza there last year and thought it was very good. But I thought the thin crisp pizza at Frankie's was exceptional. Fresh cut Palma ham and burata cheese. Light, delicate but satisfying.

I'll check that when I come over the mountain next time. Does not happen too often.

There was an Italian shop on the corner to Immigration soi. No restaurant, but they had delicious Italian cheese, salami, olives etc and Parma ham and you could get some nicely made sandwiches and plates . But that has vanished too.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

Best for me ... (not only just in Pattaya) ... "The Bronx Pizza— Soi Lengkee.

(Run by an affable American guy named John). Scrummylicious!!!

12" Thin n Crispy - Four Toppings - Piping Hot - Home Delivery - and change back 

out of ฿300. What's not to like? 080 041 8560

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Pumpui’s on the Pattaya side of the ‘chicken’ junction on Soi Siam Country Club (Nongprue) is excellent. Try the kebab pizza, much better than it sounds!

There’s also Sicily at Pong next to Mapbrachan Lake, authentic but I prefer Pumpui’s.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Not sure as to why you would concoct such as story with regard to Fusillo. It is alive and kicking on Soi 18. They only just recently refurbished the building; nice location.

Similarly, Grand Orchidee moved across the road, next to the upcoming Centrepoint Grande. from soi 33. They seem to be busy almost evry night. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Not sure as to why you would concoct such as story with regard to Fusillo.

Concoct?

I just asked a question, because I did not remember the name.  There WAS an Italian rstaurant left side on Naklua/18 and that IS closed and for rent now.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Concoct?

I just asked a question, because I did not remember the name.  There WAS an Italian rstaurant left side on Naklua/18 and that IS closed and for rent now.

You asked if it is on the left side of soi 18. It is. But you did not wait for any replies, instead asserting that it was closed and for rent. Not intelligent. The restaurant you describe is not Fusillo. Ridiculous to post such a thing without checking the name of the closed restaurant. What is wrong with you?? ???? Check before you post. It takes just seconds ???? https://web.facebook.com/pages/category/Wine-Bar/Fusillo-Italian-restaurant-and-pizza-482445645471219/

Dear JustAnotherHun

Better you check your facts before posting. These are hard times; you can hurt people's business with your careless posts. So instead of arrogantly defending your ego, better you apologise to the businesses that you have accidentally maligned.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Concoct?

Yes, there was another Italian restaurant on that soi that closed. 

Fusillo used to be on the Na Kluea road and have only recently moved to their new location on Soi 18. So I was a bit taken aback by your post and made a point of going to take a look. 

I will reply to your post on Eataly on Jomtien's Second road separately.