On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

55 minutes ago, car720 said:

MeToo#  :cheesy:

I am a racist.

My first wife was Sicilian, my second Fijian, my third Chinese, my fourth Thai and this one now is Chinese.  My kids are black and I DO call them my little chocolate drops.

If someone wants to be my equal then all they have to do is step up.

You’ve been married 5 times…why do these women keep divorcing you….are they racist??

ps: I could be wrong but I don’t think racism is about being someone’s equal

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Nothing in her work supports your contention that all people are inherently racist. All she did was incite tribalism (nationalism) in a group of children. It's obvious that humans have visibly different physical traits but her propaganda did not establish that racism was inherent in the human condition.

Well then, try reading or listening to Sam Harris, neuroscientist, who explains that everyone will show signs of racism during a psycho-evaluation test.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well then, try reading or listening to Sam Harris, neuroscientist, who explains that everyone will show signs of racism during a psycho-evaluation test.

I would if you'd post a link. I can't find one so I'll remain skeptical of that claim. Meanwhile your post appears to make the assertion that everyone has racist tendencies and therefore normalises racism. I reject that notion out of hand.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

Where is it racist to call someone from Russia, a Russian or from China, Chinese etc. This is their nationality. Maybe before you starting calling people racist you need to look up the definition!

Looks like you're taking a racist approach about the elderly. 

Similarly, people say locals getting discount at national parks is racist, when it obviously not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

I would never believe anyone who doesn't believe in Reincarnation. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I would if you'd post a link. I can't find one so I'll remain skeptical of that claim. Meanwhile your post appears to make the assertion that everyone has racist tendencies and therefore normalises racism. I reject that notion out of hand.

I could pm you when I find it

• Confused 1

Had an interesting experience at a well know department store(just think what is in the middle of west, east, north and south).  I had purchased a pair of running shoes at this store two weeks ago and discovered that the left shoe has minor defect(it tilts left and it affects how I walk).  This being Thailand I know i am out luck.  So I went in to try one some other shoes.  I was the only foreign customer in the shoe department.  After trying on a couple of pair of shoes one of the employees  comes up to me and states in a loud voice "swadee khap".  He kept staring at me and followed me(not socially distant) as I looked at other shoes.  I stopped and told him "mai".  He stood still and kept looking at me I did not know what he wanted but he looked annoyed that I kept on trying shoes and not buying a pair.  Other customers were doing the same thing but they were left alone(of course they were all locals).  I was not in the mood to get into an argument with anyone today and walked out  

Was this discrimination? I don't know. But it definitely was not customer friendly and borderline hostile.  But of course after having lived in LOS for years I expected to be treated in this manner from time to time.  Just another day in LOS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Had an interesting experience at a well know department store(just think what is in the middle of west, east, north and south).  I had purchased a pair of running shoes at this store two weeks ago and discovered that the left shoe has minor defect(it tilts left and it affects how I walk).  This being Thailand I know i am out luck.  So I went in to try one some other shoes.  I was the only foreign customer in the shoe department.  After trying on a couple of pair of shoes one of the employees  comes up to me and states in a loud voice "swadee khap".  He kept staring at me and followed me(not socially distant) as I looked at other shoes.  I stopped and told him "mai".  He stood still and kept looking at me I did not know what he wanted but he looked annoyed that I kept on trying shoes and not buying a pair.  Other customers were doing the same thing but they were left alone(of course they were all locals).  I was not in the mood to get into an argument with anyone today and walked out  

Was this discrimination? I don't know. But it definitely was not customer friendly and borderline hostile.  But of course after having lived in LOS for years I expected to be treated in this manner from time to time.  Just another day in LOS. 

Flirting?

Giving extra special personal service to an honored guest?

Not following western sense of personal space trumps social distancing.

Of course you are expected to play your side of this by buying something.

Am I joking?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Youve lived here for years and you say "mai"? - maybe your Thai language skills played a part in encouraging annoyance. Do you not know "long doo gorn na khrap" ?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The first time I went to the Philippines was in 1994. It was not long after the American military had abandoned the Clark AFB in 1991. I had an Australian friend who was friends with Denis Rodman's father and who had a bar in an area called Lakandula. This was across a park adjacent the main bar area alongside which the main entrance to the base ran. In this area was a number of black owned bars congregated and the area in general was home to many black ex servicemen. There had been many more. I got the impression there had been a distinctly segregated community where back personnel had lived and congregated away from the white community. I know this proves nothing but it's at least equivalent to your weak anecdotal evidence that segregation was rejected.

Weak evidence? This is common knowledge. It's just that people in the USA like to assume attitudes in their country are universal. There was no racial segregation in society. There were no 'back of the bus' laws, no 'whites only' signs, no segregated sports leagues, non-whites weren't barred from going through the front door of buildings etc etc. Now, part of this may well have been due to the very low numbers of black people in the UK, but it's still true that the UK didn't have racial segregation like the USA did.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Sorry.  Sometimes the words escape me.  My language skills are weak and need improvement.  I am fully deserving of this treatment.  How many lashes with a wet noodle should I give myself?  Should I also return to the store and bow in front of the employees and beg for forgiveness as well?  I have stopped Thai Language training because I might be leaving this "paradise" soon and probably will not return.  Of course this is no excuse.  Again a million wai's and bows for my error.

Why didn't you ask him, 'what's afoot? Maybe he considered you to be a nice boy.????

• Haha 1

Im not really interested in a persons religion, race, skin colour,  hair style, dress sense or anything else. What I am interested in, and react to, is their attitude, and behaviour.   If they  cannot behave  as a sensible decent human,  I react accordingly, and treat them as they deserve, in a like manner.     How often  have all of us suffered some fool of a  shop assistant, taxi driver, public servant,  etc,  no matter  what that persons  background or nationality.

15 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Im not really interested in a persons religion, race, skin colour,  hair style, dress sense or anything else. What I am interested in, and react to, is their attitude, and behaviour.   If they  cannot behave  as a sensible decent human,  I react accordingly, and treat them as they deserve, in a like manner.     How often  have all of us suffered some fool of a  shop assistant, taxi driver, public servant,  etc,  no matter  what that persons  background or nationality.

We obviously all agree to that. This thread is about racism, not who you do or don't like.

Edited by ozimoron

17 minutes ago, fangless said:

In my opinion if any link exists to substantiate any posts they should be posted for all to read and NOT  "PM.d" to an individual!

Chill out...

There are hours and hours of texts and videos of this prolific author. I do keep lots of his texts, those that I stand out. One on racism did not make that list.

But If I find it next week, I was offering to send it personally, as nobody else would probably be online to read a post that would be a week old.

All this hostility does not create a tendency to search for the video of Harris. As I recall, he indicated that people would show signs of racism, when showed a picture of an individual associated with another picture of something good or bad. People react more slowly seeing a picture of a non-white let's say associated with a picture of something good or positive. Just psycho lab assessment.

I was in a position of hosting a number of people coming from different countries, Africa, Arab, and my own country of course.

Never seen people more racist than those from Africa first generation. Just my experience. Now Sam Harris seems to point out some studies that most or all people are like that. So opinions are made based on skin color. But most certainly it has to do with 'culture', since an African, after a generation or more in another country, is indistinguishable from all others in that country. But then, when one sees a skin color, is that person influenced by the 'race', or the 'culture'. I will check with Harris on that one ????

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Chill out...

There are hours and hours of texts and videos of this prolific author. I do keep lots of his texts, those that I stand out. One on racism did not make that list.

But If I find it next week, I was offering to send it personally, as nobody else would probably be online to read a post that would be a week old.

All this hostility does not create a tendency to search for the video of Harris. As I recall, he indicated that people would show signs of racism, when showed a picture of an individual associated with another picture of something good or bad. People react more slowly seeing a picture of a non-white let's say associated with a picture of something good or positive. Just psycho lab assessment.

I was in a position of hosting a number of people coming from different countries, Africa, Arab, and my own country of course.

Never seen people more racist than those from Africa first generation. Just my experience. Now Sam Harris seems to point out some studies that most or all people are like that. So opinions are made based on skin color. But most certainly it has to do with 'culture', since an African, after a generation or more in another country, is indistinguishable from all others in that country. But then, when one sees a skin color, is that person influenced by the 'race', or the 'culture'. I will check with Harris on that one ????

Harris' claim as described by you is racist drivel, if he even made it.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

Unfortunately, we are living in a world that is defining racism as only white people denigrating black or coloured people. Speaking of the UK, whenever has anyone ever heard a black person condem the never ending racism by black people. The murder of the white police officer PC Blakelock in the middle of a riot. Not one black voice in protest ever. The black men who think it is alright to spit in the face of a white woman, if they object to her going out with another black man. If a well known sportsman gets called a silly name on Social Media. They cry their eyes out, with all hell breaks loose in the National Press. When they earn enough money to be crying their eyes out to the nearest bank.

The Windrush arrived in the UK from the Carribean, in 1948 with all of them speaking English. Then 10 years later the Asian population arrived, none of them able to speak English. The Asian population worked hard and are in every type of business going. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, shopkeepers, building companies, factory owners, etc. 4% of the population are Black. 4% of the population are Asian. The black MPs are continuously demanding a law creating "Diversity". The Asian cummunity created diversity without any special laws. A "Diversity Law" would wreck the English Soccer team where 40% of the players are black. About 30% to 40% of TV adverts have Black Actors. Are the White majority being continuously subjected to covert  Black Racism under the guise of fighting racism. Is it just the case that the black population wants Priority, Preference and Privilage over all others? Just as the Black population wiped out the Neanderthals. Is there another attempt to racially wipe out the white population? If so, the consequences will eventually reach Thailand if you let it.

Tell me how white people suffer disadvantage from racism. I'm not interested in hurt feelings from name calling, I'm interested in real consequences at a systemic level.

"Many white people, in particular, need to take a long hard look at themselves for speaking from a privileged position in denying racism exists."

Er...which white people deny racism exists? 

And only white people can be racist, it appears?

The OP's post is some of the biggest codswallop I've read recently.

Just pure, divisive, hand-wringing, race-baiting, white guilt-trip BS.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Tell me how white people suffer disadvantage from racism. I'm not interested in hurt feelings from name calling, I'm interested in real consequences at a systemic level.

Pay more at National parks, can't buy land, overcharged at hospitals...