Thai culture question

Paulaew

12 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

No, it was an awkward moment -- she was waiting for a wai from me that was not forthcoming. I was expecting a wai from her. It was more or less a breakdown of wai expectations.

What followed was a delayed and sort of fumbled co-wai. Neither she nor my wife looked happy about it.

Paul Laew

Next time get out the tape measure to see the depth and height of the respective Wais. Was her wai higher than yours and how long did she hold it ? (yes...I am being sarcastic)

• Haha 2

I know this can seem a trivial topic, but it's actually quite important to my wife, since she felt my actions reflected poorly on her. If you have a Thai spouse and are here long term, you may find it necessary to live in Thai society.

I know some farang enjoy thumbing their noses at Thai norms that seem quaint or outdated or even ridiculous. And it is undoubtedly true that respect is often required when it is not deserved.  But I make an effort to go along with the conventions while maintaining my integrity (not always easy).

My original question could be put this way -- when it comes to wai priority, does position trump age, education and wealth? Andre0720 suggested in his post that it does. Not that a department head in a Thai government school is such an exalted position ...

Paul Laew

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Well, in my defense, I didn't know that my wife expected my to wai this person first. That was something I found out after.

Farang who wai everyone in sight are actually objects of ridicule by Thai people. My wife would have been even more upset if she saw me wai the garbage man, just because of how it would reflect on her. (Yes, I have to live with this).

Paul Laew

Some take themselves and life to serius! What would Jesus do? ????????

Sounds like this is between you and your wife? Can't see where the boss complained?

Maybe have the wife provide written rules. And give a refresher - she is a teacher, right - pre-encounter?

Oh, and when in doubt, PROSTRATE. That'll earn you some points.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would have wai'd her first and respectfully, since and only because it is your wife's boss.  

Whether I believed in any of the wai BS or not.  Now you know why you should have.

Do you know how to wai your wife's boss? Thais learn it through a lifetime of learning, but farangs normally have no idea of the correct wai to use.

• Like 2

PO is full of it.

His status is not independent oh his wife’s, and would be equal to it often. 

The cultural issue here is not just Thai it is the same in many cultures.  You do not embarrass or cause inconvenience for your wife.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

PO is full of it.

The cultural issue here is not just Thai it is the same in many cultures.  You do not embarrass or cause inconvenience for your wife.

Point taken. Guilty as charged.

Paul Laew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

PO is full of it.

Only if the wife respects her husband. If she doesn't respect the husband's culture and him personally then she deserves nothing.