British man chased by Thai with a knife after he refuses to buy him a beer

webfact

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems like it was his regular drinking spot where he shared a beer with friends , its quite common for groups of people to have a beer outside shops  

Ah, the "it's common" excuse.  The guy was sitting on a curb, drinking alcohol late at night, and, had things gone otherwise, would then have driven off on his motorcycle impaired.  Yeah, it's common.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You didnt read the story, did you . 

Firstly, go back and read the story .

(The British guy was outside a shop sitting on chairs with friends , friends who invited him to drink with them) 

Did you look at the video? He's sitting on the curb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well I suggest that next time he sits on a chair, that would have avoided all the trouble 

What it pinpoints is that you got the basic facts wrong. I would think that anybody glancing at that video for five seconds could see the circumstances were conducive for trouble. The body language, the fact that the other person sitting on the curb with Jack had already skedaddled while Jack was still upending a bottle and then only belatedly tried to make a peace offering. Alcohol, a dark alley, and voila, now Jack has to cower inside his home because he fears Jason is out looking for him with his machete.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

A smart guy, at least he used his brain and ran. Has nothing to do with courage just with being smart.

He did that, according to the OP, after "the Brit stood up and told the man to go home," which wasn't so smart, was it? Maybe the actual smart thing would have been for Jack to go home without challenging the guy after he was pestered for a free beer around the, oh, the sixth or seventh time??? One thing is for certain, life isn't going to be any easier around the soi for Jack now that he's blown this up into a national news story.

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

He did that, according to the OP, after "the Brit stood up and told the man to go home," which wasn't so smart, was it? Maybe the actual smart thing would have been for Jack to go home without challenging the guy after he was pestered for a free beer around the, oh, the sixth or seventh time??? One thing is for certain, life isn't going to be any easier around the soi for Jack now that he's blown this up into a national news story.

Telling someone to go home is not that bad a thing, sure it could escalate things but you don't have to totally be passive. Telling someone to go home or stop pestering you is normal. Depends a bit how you tell them though. 

But running from a knife, smart. 

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Telling someone to go home is not that bad a thing, sure it could escalate things but you don't have to totally be passive. Telling someone to go home or stop pestering you is normal. Depends a bit how you tell them though. 

But running from a knife, smart. 

Someone asking you for a beer twenty times is not normal, is it? At least I wouldn't think so. And I certainly wouldn't tell a Thai to go home in his own soi if I was unsure of his sobriety or mental state. I would just lift my haunches off the curb and go home myself. Look at the video, the other Thai sitting with Jack at the curb knew there was going to be trouble and he cleared off.

• Like 1