Laptop problems

Meat Pie 47

My laptop slowed down rapidly from one day to the other,never had any problems before so I am trying to de-frag it but even this takes days on end.

I can watch grass grow faster. Even when I type, the letters just hang in there. Trying to view a website it takes ages before it connects. Any ideas?

And what is a acceptable download speed? I run windows 10 and use Firefox as browser. I must mention I am in OZ and know nothing about computers 

so be gentle with me and use plain English.

Thanks in advance

Nothing to do with your download speed.

Get a professional to look at it or if you think you can fix it yourself....

Go to the search field in your task bar and type “troubleshoot,” which will bring up “Troubleshoot Settings” then select it. Then select "Run troubleshooters automatically, then notify me" and see what happens.

or alternatively,

Backup everything first then......

Go to the search field in your task bar and type “reset,” which will bring up “Reset this PC”. Select this.and follow the prompts.

Edited by LosLobo

Suggestion as a place to start:

Start by opening Task Manager (type taskman in start search bar or Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select it from the list).

Then look to if something's using a large percentage of your processor (or memory) on the Processes tab.... (

image.png.67ca4c92f009ba88c9798a74bf8c6cb2.png

If you don't see all those tabs, click on "More details"

image.png.f98a134d7579bff1bec824b05b44ae4d.png

Windows 10 automatically defrags drives (HDs), so there's not much point in running defrag these days.  And SSDs don't need defragging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP doesn't mention how old the laptop is nor whether is has an older HD or more up to date SSD.  Also the processor and amount of RAM.

If the computer is an older model, switching the HD for a SSD as well as upgrading ram can make a dramatic difference.

This can be done for as little as B3000.

If the laptop does already have an SSD, perhaps it is too low a capacity for current storage demands.  64 or even 128gb SSDs can fill pretty fast these days.  Once an SSD gets to 75% capacity, it starts slowing down noticeably.

• Thanks 1

OP, how old is your laptop?

you can check a number of things yourself:

- is your disk C full?  -> in a file explorer window, right click on the C drive and "properties". this will show how much space is still available on the drive

- a fan might be broken - this would make the laptop overheat, sometimes the CPU can cope with throttling down massively, this would fit the "hanging while typing" symptom

and since you are unlikely to be able to fix it yourself, showing the laptop to someone knowledgable will be the best course of action anyway.

if the laptop is out of warranty, avoid the big shops and go to an independent tech.

Too many possible reasons to get a precise answer; bad RAM, bad processer, virus, full HD, bad HD.

Spend 500 baht and take it to a local computer shop and see what they say. 

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

Too many possible reasons to get a precise answer; bad RAM, bad processer, virus, full HD, bad HD.

Spend 500 baht and take it to a local computer shop and see what they say. 

I must mention I am in OZ and know nothing about computers