COVID-19: Thailand reports 2,437 new coronavirus cases, 18 deaths, 3,845 recoveries

webfact

COV27.jpg

File photo: National New Bureau of Thailand

Thailand on Monday (December 27) reported 2,437 new COVID-19 cases, 3,845 recoveries and 18 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 2,419. Prisons: 18

▶︎ Recoveries: 3,845

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,183,544

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,128,947

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,212,407 with 21,598 deaths.

The news comes as vaccines administered in Thailand will be accepted throughout the European Union from January after EU scientists and officials approved the move in recent days.

It comes as the kingdom prepares itself for the ignition of a possible Omicron wave as it fights to control a cluster in Kalasin province in northeastern Thailand and while the latest news from western countries appears to be offering a glimmer of hope about this new more infectious but clinically less dangerous form of the disease which is expected to become endemic across the world in the coming months.

*Thai Examiner contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update27DEC).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-27

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I don't understand how everyday there are lots more recoveries,

than infections reported, this has been going on for many weeks now.

can any one explain why this is so.

regards worgeordie

Hospitalizations have decreased, those in the hospital are becoming fewer and fewer, critical cases have dropped along with those on respirators, and then those in isolation have also dropped of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

No, I think the topic has more legs yet. Anyhow, the topic is Covid and deaths on the roads are nothing whatsoever to do  with that. Since we are at the start of the xx deadly days, I am sure another topic will spring up to cover that one.

Reporting official numbers is not fear-mongering, especially when, as you say, they are becoming rather low. It is the opposite. . 

Judging by the amount of posters replying on this post, i.e. less than a hand full, the topic is a dead horse, so until there is something to report on Covid numbers increasing, why bother IMO.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Judging by the amount of posters replying on this post, i.e. less than a hand full, the topic is a dead horse, so until there is something to report on Covid numbers increasing, why bother IMO.

Unlike other topics, this one is locked daily so never really has the opportunity to grow after the first day. The other option is just to announce the new numbers but have it locked from there on until you decide its ok to open up again?

• Like 2

Health ministry to outline 3 best and worst-case scenarios as more infections reported

Following the discovery of more cases of the Omicron Covid-19 variant, the Public Health Ministry says it will outline worst-case scenarios in a statement expected tomorrow.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/health-ministry-to-outline-3-best-and-worst-case-scenarios-as-more-infections-reported

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

In an individual, Omicron *can* absolutely cause severe disease And in fact we are seeing hospitalisations with Omicron increasing and deaths are also now occurring. Omicron has fewer fangs than Delta, but still has a dangerous bite.

I would suggest that those numbers being hospitalised and fewer deaths reported are those who have weaker immune systems, e.g. are above a certain age, with comorbidities, or without, but are obese, have a poor diet, drink more than the average alcohol limit and lack of vitamin D, etc etc.

If I am correct then that means those that are middle of the road ages and younger with better immune systems, eat healthier, drink less, and have adequate vitamin D levels are not being hospitalised or dying.

Place your bets now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would suggest that those numbers being hospitalised and fewer deaths reported are those who have weaker immune systems, e.g. are above a certain age, with comorbidities, or without, but are obese, have a poor diet, drink more than the average alcohol limit and lack of vitamin D, etc etc.

If I am correct then that means those that are middle of the road ages and younger with better immune systems, eat healthier, drink less, and have adequate vitamin D levels are not being hospitalised or dying.

Place your bets now.

Possibly I tend to agree with you on that if you read the thread it does touch on that and its not all rosy:

"We also are not seeing many cases of Omicron in older age groups yet (yay boosters!) With the sheer number of infections, plus the potential to spread into older age groups esp over a Christmas, Omicron is still likely to cause a great deal of pressure on the NHS.

In England our elderly and most vulnerable populations were boosted back in October and November. Now this is protection against mild infection. Protection against Severe disease is likely to be largely maintained.

Where do we stand? I’ll end on a cautious note With this amount of virus circulating just before Xmas when we have lots intergenerational mixing I fear we’re in for a difficult January Omicron is likely to penetrate into older age groups who are boosted, but already waning…"

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know about your area, but school up here in the north-east have been open for a good month, kids coming home sick and making us sick, is it or was it Covid, well no one was bed ridden, no one off from school, the usual stuffy nose, runny nose, headaches, sore throat, feeling lethargic etc, couple of days later, all and good and life goes on.

Did anyone get tested, well does anyone get tested after they have had a cold/flu, solder on, sometimes it's better not to know, unless you really need to know.

Earlier in the pandemic it was the mantra, testing testing testing. I see in Australia now they do not want the asymptomatic to come forward for a PCR test, the system is too overloaded. People wanted to get the full test before they headed off for Christmas with the family. What a way to spend Christmas eh, 6 hours in a queue. Now they've finally been dragged into much more use of the rapid tests.

Yeah na, schools haven't reopened at all here in Chantaburi, my mate in Korat his kid is going every second day

• Thanks 1

Most Omicron patients in Thailand have mild or no symptoms, says doctor

Most of the 200 or so Omicron patients in Thailand have mild symptoms or are asymptomatic, but infections are expected to jump soon.

Assoc Prof Dr Nithipat Jearakul, chief of Siriraj Hospital’s Department of Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis, said on Saturday that as of December 19, some 3 per cent of Covid-19 cases had been tracked down to Omicron. However, he said, though Omicron cases in Thailand account for just 3 per cent of total Covid-19 cases, the number will soon start surging, especially at the beginning of 2022.

https://www.nationthailand.com/blogs/in-focus/40010440

Huge disappointment for Phuket:

30,000 European tourists cancel yearend trip to Phuket

The largest European travel company, TUI Nordic, has reportedly cancelled chartered flights scheduled to bring some 30,000 tourists to Phuket from December to April next year.

Meanwhile, Thanes Supharasahasrangsee, acting president of the Chonburi Federation of Tourism Industry, said tourism operators in Chonburi, Rayong and Prachuap Khiri Khan have called on the Tourism and Sports Ministry and the Tourism Authority of Thailand to consider turning tourist cities like Pattaya, Koh Samet and Hua Hin into “blue zones” or sandbox areas.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010466

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I don't understand how everyday there are lots more recoveries,

than infections reported, this has been going on for many weeks now.

can any one explain why this is so.

regards worgeordie

The recoveries correspond approximately to the number of cases 2 weeks before. Check on the chart provided by Bkk Brian in this thread, you wil see it fits more or less.

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

Until the schools reopen, properly,  Thailand cant lay claim to being on top of the virus. Kids might not generally get very ill, but they are little germ factories. The Thai authorities know full well that every second kid or more is looked after by Grandma, and that many homes are multi-generational and I think the spread into homes is what they fear. Ally this with Thai over protective nature, keeps em closed. But the schools are part of the lifeblood of the economy especially in rural areas, the explosion of activity after school finishes. I bet a few teachers are quite happy being lazy and still getting paid. Also kids are missing more than an education, school is where they usually learn about their culture, respect etc. The fact that the Government seems to be putting very little effort into this is very telling.

As a teacher I object to that statement.

You clearly don't have a clue.

44 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Earlier in the pandemic it was the mantra, testing testing testing. I see in Australia now they do not want the asymptomatic to come forward for a PCR test, the system is too overloaded. People wanted to get the full test before they headed off for Christmas with the family. What a way to spend Christmas eh, 6 hours in a queue. Now they've finally been dragged into much more use of the rapid tests.

Yeah na, schools haven't reopened at all here in Chantaburi, my mate in Korat his kid is going every second day

Neither where I live, in the Southern Border Provinces region.

All schools are closed, 100 percent.

26 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

As a teacher I object to that statement.

You clearly don't have a clue.

Ah, you've taken it personally. Just to say I wasn't talking about you personally. I seem to recall you were the big fan of online teaching, in fact you never want the schools to reopen, which clearly does not work for the majority of kids here, arguable as it is whether it is any better, I would argue worse. Other than that your comment does not say why you think I haven't a clue, I have had many interactions with Thai teachers over the years and I'm entitled to my generally poor opinion of them.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluetongue said:

Ah, you've taken it personally. Just to say I wasn't talking about you personally. I seem to recall you were the big fan of online teaching, in fact you never want the schools to reopen, which clearly does not work for the majority of kids here, arguable as it is whether it is any better, I would argue worse. Other than that your comment does not say why you think I haven't a clue, I have had many interactions with Thai teachers over the years and I'm entitled to my generally poor opinion of them.

Your opinion says more about you than about the teachers.

7 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Schools are integral to a society and as you mentioned not having them running when Thailand is at such a tail end stage of the pandemic is inexcusable. 

I am also a teacher of science in a large well known international school, enjoying my holidays where I would normally return to the UK but impossible this year.

I school has been fully open since Oct but it has western management who have placed very good protocols in place. Yes we’ve had cases in both students and staff but have never needed to close the whole school as a result.

I’ve many Thai colleagues who work in government schools, some are desperate to get back and some are loving the excuse to stay home and do the occasional online class, much easier for them, getting paid the same and more time off. No ethics and no responsibility to the educational welfare of the children.

UK had many failings in dealing with covid but at least even with Omicron rampant the schools are open as their priority.

• Like 2