Israeli Who Escaped Quarantine Will be Charged and Deported

snoop1130

1 hour ago, NemoH said:

Now he gets a free ride home?????????????

They dont let you go before you pay up your detention, case fees and cost, and also your new ticket back home. 

Good thing he is not in Dubai, they would have kept him until the case was cleared. Can take months up to a year there, but the good thing, they only keep your passport, and you are free to go anywhere you want, unless you did a serious crime of course. 

• Like 1

I entered Phuket under 'Test and go' a month ago.

Was instructed at reception to register myself at the Lab carrying out the test in order to receive the result first hand and not have to wait until the  Hotel reception called.

I received the negative Test-Result 4 hours later (1pm), checked out showing the Lab report only to be told by that I had to stay overnight.  Took me half an hour and the Hotel Managers involvement to finally be allowed to leave. BTW - I did not have to leave my passport, reception took a copy . I stayed at the Hilton in Patong 

There is indeed a lot of scope for 'misunderstandings' - summed up nicely by Sheryl's thoughts on the topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

A chap in Australia was just released from 3 months in prison (sentenced to 9), for breaking quarantine rules. He was non positive. 

Guessing he would have loved just a press conference.

Does it paint Oz in a bad light?

Who cares. Yesterday's news.

do you have a link?

8 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

do you have a link?

Here is snipit from 9 news article...

"One of the Melbourne AFL fans jailed for sneaking into Western Australia via Darwin to watch the grand final has apologised for he and his friend's "selfish and stupid decisions".

Melbourne socialite Hayden Burbank flew back to Victoria on Monday night after three months in WA's Hakea Prison. At the time of the breach, travel had been heavily restricted amid fears of COVID-19 cases spreading outside of Victoria."

20 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

received the negative Test-Result 4 hours later (1pm), checked out showing the Lab report only to be told by that I had to stay overnight.

That's what they told me.  Had to stay at least past midnight. 

Hey, why not stay overnight and eat the buffet in the morning?  You already paid for the room.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Pol Col Duangchote Suwancharas, superintendent of Thong Lor police, said the suspect pleaded guilty in court, so his punishment was reduced to a 2,000 baht fine.

Finally someone with smarts.

Thank goodness we didn't execute this chap.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

AFAIK there is no requirement to stay once a negative test result arrives. Hard to see (in terms of disease control) what it would accomplish.

Many people have left before spending the night if results came in time.

But of course, room is paid for and no refunds if you do this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Reports, that he has been fined 2000B, as he pleaded guilty. Handed over to Immigration Police for deportatation. 

Whatever the true circumstances a guilty pleas was clearly his best course of action.

I wonder if we will ever hear his side of the story.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:
44 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

received the negative Test-Result 4 hours later (1pm), checked out showing the Lab report only to be told by that I had to stay overnight.

Hey, why not stay overnight and eat the buffet in the morning?  You already paid for the room.

After arriving and testing at 9am we received our test results in the afternoon but still planned on staying at the Test & Go hotel over night.

I wanted to go home and get the car so we could take my son straight to school the following morning. 

But, the hotel said IF I left the room / floor I would not be permitted re-entry to the room.

I never understood that logic, consequently we all checked out and went home that evening instead. 

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A silly young man who will regret this unfortunate  adventure but hopefully  realise he is very lucky to avoid prison. One wonders if an absconder from a quarantine  facility in his home country would be treated as with the same leniency

Very unlikely... but when considering this we’d also have to consider the other potential possibilities.

i.e. In his home country is there the same degree of absence to detail and poor communication which could have led to a misunderstanding. In his home country would hotel staff have let him walk out ?

It is very possible that what happened here ‘could not’ have happened in his home country as there is better information, better security, better communication etc...   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, easydoor said:

For me it is very clear:

you are in another country, there are RULES. You just have to follow this rules. In case you don't, don't come to cry here, you are guilty.

nonsense. this is Thailand, rules are made to be broken. just don't get caught.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, geisha said:

I suppose they are right.What if every other fool decided to do a runner ?  If he did have Omicron or Delta or asymptomatique, he’s not allowed to leave like that and potentially spread whatever he’s got. 

Correct  should  deport  no entry 10 years  done

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What a colossal waste of time, which paints thailand in an extremely poor light.

Just hold a press conference, have him apologize and then let him leave thailand.

Can common-sense prevail here?

I understand the need to "make an example" of someone but does that ever really work?

Hopefully ALL tourists are provided with translated versions of these "Acts", along with a detailed list of punishments. 

He had conditions on entry to Thailand, he violated those conditions and he should be deported and blacklisted.  In effect it is the same as illegal entry.  Any country would do the same (or potentially more) if put in that position.  All he had to do was take the day and 'recover from jet lag' have a few meals, watch TV and then take a test and when he passed leave.  It is absolutely irrelevant if he was infected or not.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

He had conditions on entry to Thailand, he violated those conditions and he should be deported and blacklisted.  In effect it is the same as illegal entry.  Any country would do the same (or potentially more) if put in that position.  All he had to do was take the day and 'recover from jet lag' have a few meals, watch TV and then take a test and when he passed leave.  It is absolutely irrelevant if he was infected or not.  

It was reported in the Bangkok Post that he stayed in his Test & Go hotel for longer than 24 hrs and departed at 2pm the day after his arrival.

Thus: He did actually ‘take the day and recover from jet-lag and have a few meals’..... 

The outstanding question is whether or not his ‘Test & Go’ hotel are being honest or not.

- Did the hotel staff tell him he could leave ? (there are reports of other hotels doing this).

- Did he leave the hotel knowing he was breaking protocol ? (in which case he was very wrong)

- Did he assume ‘no news was good news’ as it was more than 24 hrs since taking his swab ? (in which case he was naive and stupid). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

I've been following this with interest. Maybe I've missed something but I haven't seen one report of WHY he did it! What's the big secret...??? If it has been reported, then apologies but if not, what was the reason?

My guess is he either started to feel sick and didn’t want to get stuck in quarantine 

or he tested positive for covid already and used fake documents to show he tested negative because he didn’t want to lose money rescheduling and thought he could get past the test and go by leaving. 

Hope he gets more than a fine/blacklist considering he did indeed have covid. But from what I’ve seen it looks like Thailand is pretty lenient and just gives fines/blacklists for breaking covid rules. 

Edited by dj230
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

My guess is he either started to feel sick and didn’t want to get stuck in quarantine 

or he tested positive for covid already and used fake documents to show he tested negative because he didn’t want to lose money rescheduling and thought he could get past the test and go by leaving. 

hope he gets more than a fine

Your guess is way off... 

Its been reported already..... In total he has had 5 negative tests results. 

Thus: the initial Test and Go result seems to be a false positive. 

The story about the his ’Samui sample’ being sent to Bangkok and tested ‘positive for Omicron’ is also highly questionable and possibly made up by ’someone’ in a position of power attempting to deflect. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your guess is way off... 

Its been reported already..... In total he has had 5 negative tests results. 

Thus: the initial Test and Go result seems to be a false positive. 

The story about the his ’Samui sample’ being sent to Bangkok and tested ‘positive for Omicron’ is also highly questionable and possibly made up by ’someone’ in a position of power attempting to deflect. 

You can photoshop a negative covid test result pretty easily, takes a few seconds. 

no other reason why he would leave, unless you can explain? 

I am astonished there are people defending him. His story?!!! His story is that he’s a selfish idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing when he left his hotel before getting his test results and IF he did not know then, then he certainly realized it when no Pattya hotels would take him. The Israel health authorities and police aren’t going to be too kind to him either. 

• Thanks 2