39 people die, 362 injured in road accidents on first day of holiday travel

snoop1130

People who think that just going on and on about "bad drivers" is in any way constructive ae looking at the topic from totally the wrong perspective.

UK has one of te best road safety rates in the world, road deaths are about one tenth of those in Thailand, but it has taken years to achieve this...Thailand has failed at every opportunity to even get started.

Here is an extract from a 2019 paper from the UK Dept for Transport

"it is not a matter of specific targets, dates or timelines. It is a commitment to the idea that road deaths and casualties are not merely the result of poor driving, centrally relevant though that is, but of a transport system as a whole, from signage to road user education, from enforcement to infrastructure design and construction. The effect of this approach should be to raise standards and improve coordination, so that avoidable road deaths and injuries are reduced to an absolute minimum."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I love to ride too but except for a very short ride to the beach a few kms along the very quiet road from the house (always very slowly and with extreme caution). Roads been all but deserted since 'the situation'. But once mass tourism begins again I'll only be using either the car or the truck to hit the beach.

Had 2 falls; missed collision (had to thrown the bike down or hit head-on a truck that pulled out straight in front of me in Cherng Talay, and a diesoline spill on the road in 2020 in Surin ... that was enough for me.

I did consider buying a Aprilla or the BMW 3 wheel beastie and still might. as it's all but impossible to drop them - doesn't protect from being hit though.

you cant blame tourists for that

14 hours ago, Surasak said:

Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

How does the Thai Government Mitigate these  Disasters, they make no attempt to Prevent?

I've questioned the name/title of that department a number of times in the past, boggles the mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have 2 motorcycles and a old car that I use for shopping. When you are over 70 the increased risk doesn't come into play, only the enjoyment you get from riding.

Yeah Mark, in addition your eye sight is not the best. So most times it's blind flight.????

23 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

@ 30.24 road fatalities per 100,000 capita Thailand ranks #37.

Hardly a world record.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

According to this page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate Thailand ranks higher than 37. Still not a world record according to current data, but just a few years ago they shared the distinction of being world leaders in road deaths with Libya. 

On 12/31/2021 at 2:33 AM, RandiRona said:

On the first day of christmas , my Khun Prayut give to me.....

What did he do wrong? Nothing.

It's the regular muppets doing this to themselves and each other.

I hope no innocent people died or got injured, but unfortunately I am sure some of them were.

1 hour ago, androokery said:

According to this page https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate Thailand ranks higher than 37. Still not a world record according to current data, but just a few years ago they shared the distinction of being world leaders in road deaths with Libya. 

Love wikipedia, open source and editable by anyone.

FWIW the data  on that page is outdated.

35 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Buck stops at him.

Nah mate.

He has red lights in the country, but many citizens choose to go through them. You know what I mean? Multiply that with all the other rules of the road they break.

The local adolescents, I mean adults, need to start being responsible. The level of irresponsibility here is just deplorable, not just driving either. 

Parental responsibility. Letting their kids drive cars and motorcycles. It doesn't get any worse, does it?

Edited by 2009

12 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Nah mate.

He has red lights in the country, but many citizens choose to go through them. You know what I mean? Multiply that with all the other rules of the road they break.

The local adolescents, I mean adults, need to start being responsible. The level of irresponsibility here is just deplorable, not just driving either. 

Parental responsibility. Letting their kids drive cars and motorcycles. It doesn't get any worse, does it?

So you have power to force people to accept you as prime minister and make them forcefully follow all stupid laws but not road laws?

On 12/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, bkk6060 said:

I am looking at buying a car at least it appears to be some added protection..  I really like M/B riding but it just seems increased risk here.

The stats published are meaningless. Especially those who compare country X with Thailand.

Country X - motorcycles used for recreation

Thailand - motorcycles used for everything by the majority of the population.

Until the total Km driven per year, divided by the number of bikes, is known ... you can make the stats say anything you choose to forward your agenda

4 hours ago, RandiRona said:

So you have power to force people to accept you as prime minister and make them forcefully follow all stupid laws but not road laws?

He has people in place to enforce the traffic laws, They rarely do.

He needs to replace them with more proactive people.

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

The stats published are meaningless. Especially those who compare country X with Thailand.

Until the total Km driven per year, divided by the number of bikes, is known ... you can make the stats say anything you choose to forward your agenda

Thailand does not make the top 20 of annual road deaths per 100k capita.

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Love wikipedia, open source and editable by anyone.

FWIW the data  on that page is outdated.

Yeah! - ....and the earth's round and goes round the sun,

That's not a problem with Wikipedia, the problem is with the people who say that.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:14 AM, Surasak said:

Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

How does the Thai Government Mitigate these  Disasters, they make no attempt to Prevent?

It's not in their remit - it is a public health problem.

3 hours ago, seedy said:

It's the star used by the media are meaningless - or rather misused.

the media and general public only refer to ONE type of artistic and fault analyse it. As a yardstick I=it is only one of many stats available.

Statistics may include

·      Deaths per 1 million inhabitants

o   Serious Injuries per 1 million inhabitants

o   Minor injuries per 1 million inhabitants

·      Deaths per 10 billion vehicle-KM

·      Deaths per 100,000 registered vehicles

·      Registered vehicles per 1000 inhabitants

[WHO]

In the end statistics are NOT facts, they are numbers gathered by various organisations and correlated by others then interpreted by even more people.

S.E. asian countries have high m/c ownership - as a basic mode of transport - Thailand has a situation with both high m/cownership AND cars - this is an unhealthy combination on high speed roads.

It is also worth remembering the most car owner in Thailand also own one or two motorcycles.

As said it's a public health thing and not just diving - how accidents are caused and what happens to victims after is crucial in the death rates - but if you take into account the other stats above, Thailand drops dramatically in the world league of deaths and injuries - still in no way satisfactory though.

"you can make the stats say anything you choose to forward your agenda" - this is  rather naive outlook, just being dismissive of all stats is a bit ridiculous. Stats are just numbers and are open to interpretation - you need a modicum of intelligence to look at them and I=use your critical thinking to decide what the user is trying to tell us. It is ofte=n misused by politicians but they are the ONLY way of looking a most issues that require big numbers to sort te wood from the trees - 

Edited by Thunglom

On 12/30/2021 at 8:48 PM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Does anyone know  just what  those people  who sit in tents on the side of the road are supposed to do..  Check drivers?

check vehicles?, offer    traffic advice?.      I have never seen  another driver pull  over into one.  Out of curiosity,  yesterday  I did just that, stopped  right out front.   The four  guys there just sat, one even stopped playing on his phone and looked up at me, rather confused.   I got out of my car   and  spoke, in my rather limited Thai, and asked them were they busy?.   "No, why? "  was the answer.      I drove off, none the wiser.

Sure you did

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Three years ago they were second to only Libya. Doubt things have improved.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-with-the-most-car-accidents.html

Just ready a Bangkok Post article which quoted a Thai official who stated Thailand passed Libya in 2562 in road traffic deaths, so things actually got worse. 

This is of course based on those dying at the scene as those that die later due to injuries are not included.

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Three years ago they were second to only Libya. Doubt things have improved.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-with-the-most-car-accidents.html

Your link has Libya @ 73.4 3 years ago (Thailand 2nd at 36.2).

The link to another website I posted earlier has Libya @ 28.46 for 2021 (Thailand at 30.24).

Huge improvement by Libya, Thailand needs to have a look to see how they did such an amazing job of cutting road deaths by nearly 2/3 rd's in such a short timeframe.

Or the numbers are buffalo excrement.................

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Surasak said:

You mean a bit like pass the parcel, but this is pass the buck.

Basically Thai authorities don't understand the science of road safety and fail to appreciate that it is a public health issue. Until they do they won't even begin to address te problem - they haven't even identified it yet.. To get get has taken European counties up to 30 years. If Thailand looks at them and takes their advice it needn't take that long, but there is no sudden single issue cure and treating it as a one-off disaster is just ludicrous.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, Ralf001 said:

Your link has Libya @ 73.4 3 years ago (Thailand 2nd at 36.2).

The link to another website I posted earlier has Libya @ 28.46 for 2021 (Thailand at 30.24).

Huge improvement by Libya, Thailand needs to have a look to see how they did such an amazing job of cutting road deaths by nearly 2/3 rd's in such a short timeframe.

Or the numbers are buffalo excrement.................

Libya basically didn't have a functioning government at that time and I would happily ignore any numbers reported by Libyan government bodies then. Which leaves lovely Thailand, which obviously under-reports their numbers (the definition of death at site of accident rather than as a consequence of the accident), as number 1. 

But does it matter if they're number one? I meet very few people in Thailand who DON'T have a scar from a motorbike accident. And I meet a lot of people where there's been at least one traffic death in the family. That's insane.