ATM Scam- Be very careful!

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is the stage where I would have removed the cover, why didn't you simply smash it off? It clearly isn't supposed to be there.....

I always check the card slot for any attachments and now due to your report I will check the slot before I use a machine. I've never found any attachments so far but it I did I would remove them.

If you were to make a withdrawal and couldn't get the money or simply forgot to take the cash and walked away (this does happen occasionally) then the machine only waits a certain amount of time (not very long) before it takes the cash back into the machine, this probably differs between each ATM model depending on how they configure it.

Will check on this!

The OP says it was in market village Hua Hin near or tescos.

if it happened it is very good and appropriate warning by the OP.

it seems that some people do not understand what the place is, or just want to troll a potentially important post

For people thinking about back street ATMs , or going to the bank.

the location is likely to be as good as you can find.

If the OP was not so streetwise on the potential problem and reported it to whoever makes no differences to the warning.

The headline of the topic states it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"ATM Cash trapping". It's thing now.

Or maybe a COVID sneeze guard? ????

Obviously I wouldn't have left the ATM until I contacted the bank, and would have taken many photos and videos.

I think you'll have to file a police report first.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Except the problem of poor exchange rates and charges from at least one source.

Not sure what you mean.

My UK pension is paid directly into my Bkk bank a/c at a good day rate at the time.

Bkk bank charge only 200 baht a year for an ATM card to get my dosh.

If I want money from UK bank I use 'Wise' which also gives a good day rate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

If you were to make a withdrawal and couldn't get the money or simply forgot to take the cash and walked away (this does happen occasionally) then the machine only waits a certain amount of time (not very long) before it takes the cash back into the machine, this probably differs between each ATM model depending on how they configure it.

Correct, once money has been removed (or sucked back into the machine) then it dispenses card and receipt.

did the OP also walk away without retrieving his card ?

Story smell fishy.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Correct, once money has been removed (or sucked back into the machine) then it dispenses card and receipt.

While this is true (as I pointed out earlier) the OP may well have been so preoccupied with losing the money, and reasonably so, that it didn't even occur to him that he'd also lost his card until it was suggested here.

12 hours ago, jojothai said:

If the OP was not so streetwise on the potential problem and reported it to whoever makes no differences to the warning.

The headline of the topic states it all.

Letting people walk off with your cash and don't inform the Thai bank, you call that streetwise?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:16 AM, gargamon said:

What was that old saying? Finders keepers, losers weepers.

Or there was a song by Commander Cody, "if you snooze, you lose". Don't you fall asleep, somebody's watching something you want to keep...

In all likelihood there's a cover on the money dispensing slot to prevent water incursion that the OP didn't figure out.

There's  also a cover to prevent to provide cover for pin numbers

On 12/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, MORROROCK said:

Walking away my phone chimed a alert that a withdrawal for 10,000BAHT had been deducted from my account in New York. As I turned around to recheck the machine a man and woman left the same machine ( they had been next to me) with the woman looking at me with a shocked face and the man saying - 'let's get out of here'.

Wouldn't the advice from your American bank have indicated a withdrawal in dollars, not THB10,000?

You still haven't explained how, after you had walked away from the ATM, you knew the man was saying "let's get out of here" to the woman he was with.  Did he shout it, was he speaking in English or Thai?

You were close enough to, allegedly, hear exactly what he said to the woman but you didn't see them remove the dispenser cover nor did you see them take your cash?  How come?

Have you reported it to the bank that owns the ATM yet using the number displayed on every ATM in case of problems with the machine?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:56 AM, daveAustin said:

Agree to an extent but not always feasible. Never had an issue in 20 odd years, though it happens and I wouldn’t be low enough to mock someone for getting shafted, troll or no. Always give them a good look over first!

As for the xenophobic rip off charge on foreign cards; that’s another story!!

In the UK, in the 90s, we were warned to look out for dodgy looking plastic devices and additions  to ATMs. So it's second nature to me to check.  But what I don't understand is how this ripped off worked. The OP appears to just have walked away. Did he photograph  the machine and location? Why not Did? Did he use the ATM help number? Did he go into the shop? Did he wait around the  machine for a sufficiently long time? If two strangers could access his money why couldn't he?

As for foreign transaction charges: they are very expensive but are not based on hatred or distrust of foreigners so are not xenophobic

On 12/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Have been using ATM's for decades, never a problem.

Twice I have in Thailand both with foreign bank cards. Both times Halifax intervened and refunded without quibble within 48 hours. Once 100% in a Kasikorn ATM opposite Alcazar in Pattaya.

Edited to add and whilst the figures were relatively low ever since I never keep more than £300 in the Debit card linked account and transfer in from side account when it gets low

Worse case scenario no more than £300 can go walkabout

Edited by Chivas
  • Thanks 1

Had a few issues with ATM fraud back in the days.

Debit is my least favorite way to spend money because of the direct access to my money, most bank will refund you but this takes time and you will not have access to the cash until it is sorted out.

To save myself the trouble i mostly use credit card or cash ( that i take from the bank's branch).

Get a credit card with zero liability, most likely the issuer will decline the charges if they suspect fraud or ask if you recognize the transaction giving you the option to approve it.

Always setup alerts !

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LoveThai94 said:

Had a few issues with ATM fraud back in the days.

Debit is my least favorite way to spend money because of the direct access to my money, most bank will refund you but this takes time and you will not have access to the cash until it is sorted out.

To save myself the trouble i mostly use credit card or cash ( that i take from the bank's branch).

Get a credit card with zero liability, most likely the issuer will decline the charges if they suspect fraud or ask if you recognize the transaction giving you the option to approve it.

Always setup alerts !

Practical  advice. I would also add travel with three  different  independent  cards

50 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Twice I have in Thailand both with foreign bank cards. Both times Halifax intervened and refunded without quibble within 48 hours. Once 100% in a Kasikorn ATM opposite Alcazar in Pattaya.

Edited to add and whilst the figures were relatively low ever since I never keep more than £300 in the Debit card linked account and transfer in from side account when it gets low

Worse case scenario no more than £300 can go walkabout

Good advice

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

Is the OP even in Thailand that is my question!!

ATM Scams are very common

The first method, the blocking device, is an interesting method I was unaware of. Seems to be the most dangerous one of them all if it can be pulled off.

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Sounds more like a Philippines experience where caution is suggested

No doubt, but ATMs in the Philippines are a rare commodity compared to Thailand. When you live in a smaller town in the Philippines, you don't really have a lot of choices, unfortunately, when your nearest branch could be in the nearest city, a long way from home. I've been lucky and never had a problem in many years of ATM withdrawals in PI. They have a new popular method of using bank cards, at a local store which provides a cash withdrawal service, that charges about 30 pesos (or maybe 50) to make a withdrawal from a card.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Yes, I had a problem with an airport ATM in Indonesia.  Made all the right noises, but no cash, and my account was debited.

I sent a photo of the ATM, plus location details to my Thai bank.

They said they would investigate.  Apparently all banks check ATM balances at end of day.

It took 7 weeks, but I got the full amount refunded direct to my account.

This is a good reason to keep ATM withdrawals small if you're using ATMs that you're not familiar with, or in other countries. I choose my ATMs carefully, but never withdraw large amounts from any machine not from my own bank, and preferably in a mall during banking hours, so that if there was a problem, I could go inside and report it. Not too long ago a Kasikorn ATM ate my card (I walked away and forgot to take it out). I went inside and not long after they had opened the machine and returned it to me. Unfortunately this can only happen at main branches. At all other ATMs if the card is eaten, I need to go to pay for a new one. This applies for Thailand bank issued cards only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1