What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

On 3/28/2022 at 1:16 AM, giddyup said:

I got about 20 minutes into it before giving it away. Not sure what the dance and music sequences had to do with a murder mystery, just looked like filler to me.

It was a way to bring diversity into the group of main characters, how else can could he do so with a film set in Africa, er, nevermind.  I thought the special effects were pretty obvious.  Cannot help thinking Branagh's ex (Emma Thompson) would have been better in Annette Bening's role, but maybe he did too.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:10 AM, mtls2005 said:

Feel like I should be watching a documentary on the Amazin' Mets and the Moon landing?

Summer of 1969?

A Walk on the Moon is about yet another historic marker of that summer that you didn't mention.

If I was putting together a "the way we was" double bill I'd put it with

Running on Empty which takes place about 17 years after.  Personally it's a "that could have been me" movie.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Disney has something to do with the movie which explains the excessive wokeness.

Despite the recent controversy, Disney is THE most conservative studio in the USA (not including Christian production companies).

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

It was a way to bring diversity into the group of main characters, how else can could he do so with a film set in Africa, er, nevermind.  I thought the special effects were pretty obvious.  Cannot help thinking Branagh's ex (Emma Thompson) would have been better in Annette Bening's role, but maybe he did too.

and why is it necessary to bring "diversity" into the group of main characters? It's a story about a group of 1930s English people on holiday on a boat on the Nile, not a group of Americans of a modern era.

In his Orient Express movie Branagh didn't feel obliged to invent roles for minority ethnicity actors.

• Thanks 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, giddyup said:

I got about 20 minutes into it before giving it away. Not sure what the dance and music sequences had to do with a murder mystery, just looked like filler to me.

IMO it was to explain why there were a load of characters that were not in the book in the movie, but for sure the movie was too long, and could have been half an hour shorter if they'd cut out the irrelevant bits.

It's time to watch a Bruce Willis movie. Nothing like Pulp Fiction, but I've seen it too many times. Ended up watching Looper, being SF, and it was quite OK. Emily Blunt's always nice to look at. She didn't get naked or anything, so don't get too excited here.

• Like 1

Just watched a very good movie from 1984 Threads,ide seen it before its about nuvlear war with Russia and centres around Sheffield, i dont meant to be going on ,but in all the crowd scenes in the film and there are dozens i did not see one face that was not white,Wonder how it would have changed if they made the film today? ???? 

Its not a bad movie by the way

20 hours ago, bendejo said:

Summer of 1969?

A Walk on the Moon is about yet another historic marker of that summer that you didn't mention.

Well I only mentioned two films I saw, one after the other, about the same time period. Both involved "struggles". So yeah, there are shed-loads of films I didn't mention.

Richard Linklater's new film, "Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood" on Netflix looks apropos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzuz5s_Qk-A

20 hours ago, bendejo said:

It was a way to bring diversity into the group of main characters

Armie Hammer problem sidestepped by delay, delay, delay, wait for kerfuffle to die down?

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well I only mentioned two films I saw

Elvis made a comeback that year, the birth of the white-jumpsuit Elvis. 

The two I mentioned have to do with the cultural changes of those particular times.  The incident that sparked the situation in Running on Empty was based on something I knew the people involved with, but the real-life characters were caught (or did the turn themselves in?)  soon afterward.  As a NYC native the real miracle of that year, which the moon landing pales in contrast to, is the Mets winning the pennant/series.  And I'm not even a sports fan: I blame the Brooklyn Bums for leaving town for my lack of interest.

Something else happened that year that generated a sheetstorm in the media, but I don't recall ever hearing it mentioned again after the storm passed: "Paul is Dead."  It's impossible to not laugh at that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tokyo Vice

New HBO show just started.
First 3 episodes are out there.

Summary:  A Western journalist working for a publication in Tokyo takes on one of the city's most powerful crime bosses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'Holding' an easy  going drama set in Ireland about a laid back cop out of his depth. It's unclear if this  is a drama or comedy. Whatever potential  it has is disturbed by achronistic 'woke casting' with a Jamaican senior investigatigator playing an Irish  policeman. Silly box ticking

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:10 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Being conservative does not mean that one isn't woke.

Indeed. The two  can be synomous in some respects especially as woke issues get adopted by big business  and corporate  interests. Identify  politics is a godsend to big business and corporations as it distracts from class issues and corporate  created injustice.

There are 2 new drama series out on UK TV  (both seem lightweight) and one added series .

New .

Harry Wild

9 episodes, A recently retired English professor discovers a real knack for investigation and cannot help but interfere with the cases assigned to her police detective son.

Deadline

4 episodes with a Hugh 4.6 IMDB rating .  James Alden is a washed-up investigative journalist making trashy documentaries when he lands the interview of the decade with Natalie Varga, who is suspected of murdering her rich Hungarian husband. She tells him that if he finds the killer, she'll give him the exclusive everyone wants.

The Split-Season-3

6 episodes, this has Nicola Walker as lead, (Unforgotten etc) 7.7 IMDB 

The Defoes, a family of female divorce lawyers, are forced to face their past following the return of their estranged father after a 30 year absence.

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

There are 2 new drama series out on UK TV  (both seem lightweight) and one added series .

New .

Harry Wild

9 episodes, A recently retired English professor discovers a real knack for investigation and cannot help but interfere with the cases assigned to her police detective son.

Deadline

4 episodes with a Hugh 4.6 IMDB rating .  James Alden is a washed-up investigative journalist making trashy documentaries when he lands the interview of the decade with Natalie Varga, who is suspected of murdering her rich Hungarian husband. She tells him that if he finds the killer, she'll give him the exclusive everyone wants.

The Split-Season-3

6 episodes, this has Nicola Walker as lead, (Unforgotten etc) 7.7 IMDB 

The Defoes, a family of female divorce lawyers, are forced to face their past following the return of their estranged father after a 30 year absence.

Yeah The Split was very lightweight- girly fluff.

The Straits is an Australian gangster series set in the Cairns, the Torres Straits and and N Queensland featuring a family producing and distributing party drugs whilst dealing with family infighting, Biker gangs and the notorious PNG Raskol gangs. A gangster series  with a difference- Wythenshawe  it ain't.

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Savile was a DJ and TV personality. No way anyone could have gotten that close to royalty and the PM without the security services knowing what his interests were. Also, I was told in 1975 by somebody from Leeds that Savile was known to take young girls on a boat he had on the canal there, so I don't go for the nobody knew line. Riveting viewing, a true horror story.

As explained in the documentary the British  libel  system  protected him and the police helped  him too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Straits is an Australian gangster series set in the Cairns, the Torres Straits and and N Queensland featuring a family producing and distributing party drugs whilst dealing with family infighting, Biker gangs and the notorious PNG Raskol gangs. A gangster series  with a difference- Wythenshawe  it ain't.

@The Hammer2021You forgot to mention if it was any good or not.