Bangkok Bank no New Accounts

12 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I wanted Bangkok Bank since you can make ACH transfers to their New York City branch.  Maybe that's outmoded info.

Maybe, I don't know. A lot of people use Wise now for international transfers. 

16 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Maybe, I don't know. A lot of people use Wise now for international transfers. 

ACH are free.  I can make free international wire transfers from Fidelity where I have my workplace savings, but my banks only do ACH for free.  Maybe it's not worth the hassle.  We usually transfer about $50k/yr but in sub 10k chunks to avoid the reporting requirements.  With SCB we can't actually get them to send us or give us access to monthly statements.

Edited by tuktuktuk
misspelling

6 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

ACH are free.  I can make free international wire transfers from Fidelity where I have my workplace savings, but my banks only do ACH for free. 

Are you sure it's free? Do they give you a reduced exchange rate compared to Wise?

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Are you sure it's free? Do they give you a reduced exchange rate compared to Wise?

Fidelity is the only way I've done it.  That rate's close to the published numbers.  ACH is a US currency transfer and would depend on Bangkok Bank's rate.  Nothing's as good as carrying cash, but that has risks I just can't get used to.

1 minute ago, tuktuktuk said:

Fidelity is the only way I've done it.  That rate's close to the published numbers.  ACH is a US currency transfer and would depend on Bangkok Bank's rate.  Nothing's as good as carrying cash, but that has risks I just can't get used to.

Well Wise's exchange rate today is 33.210 USD to THB. What is ACH?

9 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Well Wise's exchange rate today is 33.210 USD to THB. What is ACH?

Automatic Clearing House for transactions under 10k.  It only handles domestic transfers.  Bangkok Bank receives it in USD in New York and converts it at their rate. I'll look at Wise.  Might be better than Fidelity.  Last time I think it was 0.3 of a Baht less than the rate Google was quoting (~1%).  I saw Wise is charging around $8/$1000.  Sound right?

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

Automatic Clearing House for transactions under 10k.  It only handles domestic transfers.  Bangkok Bank receives it in USD in New York and converts it at their rate. I'll look at Wise.  Might be better than Fidelity.  Last time I think it was 0.3 of a Baht less than the rate Google was quoting (~1%).  I saw Wise is charging around $8/$1000.  Sound right?

Don't get hung up on the transfer fee, concentrate on the exchange rates.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In some banks they get rattled by a falang, get nervous and try to think of excuses they can't do something. Amazing Thailand

"No can do."

Translates to snack time, nap time, time to phone mom, time to pick my nose, or check Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

"No can do."

Translates to snack time, nap time, time to phone mom, time to pick my nose, or check Facebook. 

I've experienced it twice in banks, Thanachart or similar name bank, lady was relieved when she found a reason to deny opening an account, usually they ask for work permit, once she found it the panic stopped. SCB were also panicked when i asked about PA insurance. Other banks and branches have been fine.

Maybe the route cause of this is their very weak technical knowledge of the product, this happens in many places including insurance brokers

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I wanted Bangkok Bank since you can make ACH transfers to their New York City branch.  Maybe that's outmoded info.

Bangkok bank only accepts ACH transfers in the IAT format.  Almost no retail banks offer that service to non-commercial customers.  You may as well say no more ACH from Bangkok bank.  However, you can still use a domestic wire but those are usually not free.

WISE is a pretty good method but international SWIFT transfers are better for large amounts (>21K US$).

The very best transfer results are available to those who hold a Visa or MasterCard debit card that charges no fees for foreign transactions.  Go to the Bangkok bank teller and ask them to do a cash advance using one of those debit cards.  The limit on the amount available is determined by the issuing bank.  Bangkok bank adds no fee for this transaction and you will get the exchange rate determined by Visa or MasterCard.  MasterCard generally has the better rate.  WISE offers slightly better exchange rates but then adds fees so the net result is better when using those debit cards with no foreign transaction fee.

Capitol One bank offers a good MasterCard debit card but has a maximum of 5K$ withdrawal.  Schwab offers a good Visa debit card with a 15K$ limit/day.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I suppose Khon Kaen would be easier?

The problem with remote branch is, I believe, they still have out of area charge system - so if account in another area you may get hit with extra charges taking money out if not done in bank area.  It not much but a PIA to keep track of.   I would go back after the current 5 day bank holiday and try again - expect they just wanted to get out of office for the long weekend.  But normal requirement with Bangkok Bank these days is a notarized letter from US Consulate providing your address and reason for having account so might check on getting that first.  Alternative might be higher level person banking with them providing reference.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

No longer an option - New York will return any ACH done in normal domestic format and that is all US banks use for personal accounts.  It must be in International Format for sending on to Thailand (which is done by US Government payment systems).

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, DrJoy said:

This document in the quoted link tells you everything you need to know. All the types of Visa and Documents needed for a Foreigner to open a bank account.

If you are on a Tourist Visa you are not allowed to open a bank account.  Are you on a Tourist Visa ?

While people can and do open an account with a Tourist visa at some banks at some branches - they must know that this is in fact against the rules in Thailand, and run the risks associated with that. End of the day the bank does not care, they have your money, its you who have to care that at some point in the future you might have a problem getting your money - you never know.

If you have a Non-Immigrant visa and married, or have a work permit,  I would strongly suggest you get your Yellow Book (Thor Ror 13 - known as the Tabien Baan)  (Just google search "Thailand Yellow House Book".

With this, opening bank accounts and anything related to something that needs a "permanent" address becomes much easier......

As a rule of thumb......any foreigner married to a Thai should have a Yellow House Book, just to make life simpler and avoid headaches.  This means you are registered to live in the "marital" home and you have a permanent address in Thailand.

When you need to open a bank account, get internet installed and all sorts of stuff just hand the Yellow Book over and you will see a smile as it makes their life easy to implement what you are asking for..

• Confused 1

Why not try another Bank? Kasikorn Bank is very good. Had a problem changing money in Bangkok Bank a few years ago, teller siad no to changing £1,000 I said they are a bank, and they advertise on the door that they exchange money, they asked if I had a BB account which I did, they asked if I will be depositing the money in the account, I said no. Cut a long story short they changed the money in the end when I asked for the tellers name and said I would be reporting this to the head office in BKK as the bank is there to make money which pays the tellers salary. They were not happy but they changed the money.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:57 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

As a generalisation, what you've allegedly been told is nonsense, banks' sole purpose is to provide banking facilities (bank accounts) so there's no reason for them to stop that business and refuse to open a new account "because of the pandemic"!   

If it's nothing to do with your being American and any financial ramifications of that, go to a different branch or bank.

I tried to open a bank account with the Bangkok bank a few years ago with my American passport. They would not let me open it, so the next day I came back with my Aussie passport and they opened it, strange bank?

6 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I tried to open a bank account with the Bangkok bank a few years ago with my American passport. They would not let me open it, so the next day I came back with my Aussie passport and they opened it, strange bank?

Not so strange.

There are reporting requirements to the U.S  that non.US banks must comply with for U.S. persons so many banks globally rationally avoid that by refusing U.S nationals.

• Like 2

I have had Kasikorn accounts in both my own name and joint with wife for years, and I have never had a Work Permit, only Non IMM O (retirement.)

Not recommending Kasikorn though, their service is terrible, but ATM works.

Note Immigration do not like joint accounts for Retirement visas.  Chiang Rai wanted to see 1.6 Million in th account, not 800K

On 12/31/2021 at 9:17 PM, tuktuktuk said:

We'll try it again in Khon Kaen.  We set one up there years ago, but as a joint account they couldn't offer online access.  We closed it a year later.  I need to be able to access it from the US at tax time.  

I have online access to three joint accounts at Bangkok bank.

21 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It’s possible that the bank didn’t want to deal with the small mountain of paperwork required by the USA when it’s citizen open accounts overseas.  The forms have to do with reporting transactions and balances to the US Treasury dept.

Go to the Bangkok Bank branch which is located on Sri Chan Road in Khon Kaen and see the man at the International money desk. When you walk in the door go on a 45 degree angle to the right and you will see the exchange rates on the wall. This man speaks English and deals with many farang so just sit down and talk with him.

• Like 1