American marrying Thai. Marriage Visa Renewal Question.

For marriage extensions it's best to do it yourself.

If over 50 obtain a non O retirement and use an agent to assist with organization if you need. 

You will need to attend immigration and do banking etc.

It's not difficult. 

If you want nothing to do with immigration then use an agent to cover all matters including money in bank requirement.

I suggest do it yourself. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

@DrJack54 I'm 30. I understand that over 50 you can get an agent.

I honestly don't want to deal with immigration and paperwork. I've been to Chaeng Wattana plenty of times for work and tourist visa related matters. 

I'm just trying to see if there are agencies/law-firms that can represent me at Chaeng Wattana for my yearly  marriage visa renewals? Are there?

Not really understanding your post. 

2 minutes ago, Gaga1 said:

Not really understanding your post

I see now that being under 50 the retirement option is off the table.

A married guy will answer you in detail. 

Ubonjoe is married and can outline what's required.

The issue with marriage non O and ongoing extensions, the agent can only do so much. Pretty limited to organization of docs etc.

You will still need to attend immigration. Also be available for home visit etc.

Really think that being so young your best advice is to do it yourself.

You can obtain detailed advice on AseanNow to guide you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaga1 said:

Hello,

I'm American thinking about marrying my Thai gf.

Is it possible for me to hire an agency or law-firm to do my yearly marriage visa renewals?

I'm just so lazy to always visit Chaeng Wattana Immigration office.

Just how far from CW office do you live? Once a year to the office to do the initial application and once to pick up approved passport/extension.

You can do on-line 90 day reports if you hate the visit to CW. If you have all your paperwork & bank details in order including photos etc it's not difficult at all, as others have mentioned. 

19 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Marriage Extensions are pretty easy to do plus Immigration need to see you and you Wife in person every year.

Its not easy and my wife hates taking a day off work to attend this nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Its not easy and my wife hates taking a day off work to attend this nonsense.

A few hours a year? Not exactly a hardship is it?

As for nonsense? Without Immigration permision you cannot even stay here.

Probably the most important thing you have to do while living here.

I am an American and married to a Thai woman.  As you must attend a meeting with your wife at Immigration every year I agree with the forum and suggest you do this yourself.  I thought about getting help but by the time you get together all of the necessary paperwork you might as well just finish the application.  It does not take so long.  And I have found Thai Immigration to be professional and polite at all times.  It is 100% about getting the paperwork right and having the cash.  You can do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

Marriage Extensions are pretty easy to do plus Immigration need to see you and you Wife in person every year.

Don't forget the photos of you and she in front of the house, sitting on the bed etc.....it was why I switched to retirement when I hit 50.

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Don't forget the photos of you and she in front of the house, sitting on the bed etc.....it was why I switched to retirement when I hit 50.

Not necessary (sitting on the bed).   Only required is one in front of your home (showing home number) and one internal (I use one of my wife and I sat at our dining table).   What I would urge you to do is when assembling all of the various documents, scan them and keep them on file for use in future years. 

With the exception of the Kor Ror 2 (which has to be no older than 6 months), your bank documents, and your passport pages, everything else should be the same so a case of just printing them out.   Even the photos, I've used the same ones for the past 4 years.

I guess at 30 yo, you're working here, for which a Marriage Extension allows you to do, and should your employment cease you won't have to leave the country.

2 hours ago, Gaga1 said:

@DrJack54 I'm 30. I understand that over 50 you can get an agent.

I honestly don't want to deal with immigration and paperwork. I've been to Chaeng Wattana plenty of times for work and tourist visa related matters. 

I'm just trying to see if there are agencies/law-firms that can represent me at Chaeng Wattana for my yearly  marriage visa renewals? Are there?

Not really understanding your post. 

Extension of stay based on marriage to Thai requires you both to attend Immigration Office.

They click live photo of the couple via webcam, when u submit your application.

I just did an extension of stay (Thai Wife) in Nov 21, here is the list -

Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page
Current visa/extension
All extensions from last Non-O visa or transfer stamp to new passport. (If applicable)
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Passport size picture

Hand drawn map of location of house or Google Map Printout

Copy of Wife's ID card & Tabien Baan (House book)

Marriage certificate Koror 2. (Max 180 days old) or Marriage certificate Koror 3

Foreign marriage certificate. (English or Thai language)
Marriage certificate Koror 22 in case of foreign marriage certificate is used. (Max 180 days old)
This can be obtained at the local district office (Amphur) with your certified translated foreign marriage certificate.

Copy birth certificate of any children.
Copy house book of each child address

Signed and stamped bank statement showing the money ( Minimum THB 400.000 ) for at least 2 months before application date. (Max 7 days old)
Copy updated Thai bank book name page and last 2 months transactions.

IN CASE OF HAVING A THAI WORKPERMIT -

Copy of workpermit
Certificate of company (Max 6 months old) DBD
Certificate of income more than 40.000 Baht a month on Company letter head
Individual income tax- PND 1 for last 3 months

Picture of husband and wife (with children if applicable) in front of the house clearly showing house number.
Picture of husband and wife (with children if applicable) inside the house -Must be printed on A4 paper

If the Thai wife is not the owner of the house :
– Copy ID card of the house owner.
– Copy house book of the house owner.
– Copy lease agreement.

If I missed any doc, Joe please add.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Photo's of your children. I have 3 children. Photo copies of their birth certificates along with the originals. What TF does my children have to do with an extension based on marriage for FS??????

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Photo's of your children. I have 3 children. Photo copies of their birth certificates along with the originals. What TF does my children have to do with an extension based on marriage for FS??????

They strongly requested Birth certificate of my child.

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I just did an extension of stay (Thai Wife) in Nov 21, here is the list -

Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page
Current visa/extension
All extensions from last Non-O visa or transfer stamp to new passport. (If applicable)
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Passport size picture

Hand drawn map of location of house or Google Map Printout

Copy of Wife's ID card & Tabien Baan (House book)

Marriage certificate Koror 2. (Max 180 days old) or Marriage certificate Koror 3

Foreign marriage certificate. (English or Thai language)
Marriage certificate Koror 22 in case of foreign marriage certificate is used. (Max 180 days old)
This can be obtained at the local district office (Amphur) with your certified translated foreign marriage certificate.

Copy birth certificate of any children.
Copy house book of each child address

Signed and stamped bank statement showing the money ( Minimum THB 400.000 ) for at least 2 months before application date. (Max 7 days old)
Copy updated Thai bank book name page and last 2 months transactions.

IN CASE OF HAVING A THAI WORKPERMIT -

Copy of workpermit
Certificate of company (Max 6 months old) DBD
Certificate of income more than 40.000 Baht a month on Company letter head
Individual income tax- PND 1 for last 3 months

Picture of husband and wife (with children if applicable) in front of the house clearly showing house number.
Picture of husband and wife (with children if applicable) inside the house -Must be printed on A4 paper

If the Thai wife is not the owner of the house :
– Copy ID card of the house owner.
– Copy house book of the house owner.
– Copy lease agreement.

Did my first at CW in September and had to provide 2 copies of everything including 2 copies of every page of my passport.

Bank statement covering 12 months and bank book updated on day of application, all 2 copies.

Don't ask me why, ask CW. ????

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Why do folk even mention kids?

I assume it's required if you have some? 

Yes it is a required to mention your kids, if you have any. But if you have, or didn't have, kids does it prevent you obtaining your extension. Answer NO. But immigration seems fit to drag it into the equation. Why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Why do folk even mention kids?

I assume it's required if you have some? 

We didn't mention, It is written in my detailed marriage certificate (Kor Ror 2)

They saw it from there and then -

Oh I see you have a child, make copy birth certificate & T.Baan

????

3 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

We didn't mention, It is written in my detailed marriage certificate (Kor Ror 2)

They saw it from there and then -

Oh I see you have a child, make copy birth certificate & T.Baan

????

Nup not married or children.

Long term partner.. 10yr +.

Just curious about the necessity of information re children.

If that's the Thai system then fine.

I can see why some married guys opt for extensions based on retirement. It's a breeze.

On personal note I would change to retirement from marriage just because I would not accept immigration officers to enter my home. Also present witnesses. IMO it's a nonsense. 

I find that rubbish requirements. 

8 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

It is written in my detailed marriage certificate (Kor Ror 2)

That's news to me.  The KR2 is just your marriage cert proving that you are still married on the day you applied for a copy at the amphur.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't mention children on the KR2.

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thy have a right to have a home visit.

What did you not understand.

I would obtain extensions based on retirement instead.

I'm not allowing some clerks (strangers) into my home.

Back to the OP.....at 30 can't imagine how he can live ongoing in Thailand.

If he can then he can afford longest PE visa available. 

Much better option than marriage. Again imo.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's news to me.  The KR2 is just your marriage cert proving that you are still married on the day you applied for a copy at the amphur.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't mention children on the KR2.

In my KR2 , they (Khet Chatuchak) have mentioned the detail of my son.

His DOB, 13 digit Thai citizenship number, Place of birth

54 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes it is a required to mention your kids, if you have any. But if you have, or didn't have, kids does it prevent you obtaining your extension. Answer NO. But immigration seems fit to drag it into the equation. Why?

Because they can.