For those that can remember. How did you feel about your life before you moved to Thailand? Marks out of 10 if you like.

Grecian

I'm in the uk planning to move to Thailand on a retirement visa in September 2022. I'm 54.

I have a decent life here. Nice house, enough money for my simple needs and wants. Nice family. No wife or kids. Of course given up on dating!

But because of years working around the world very few friends. No work cuz I don't need the money and have become a bit lazy.

Comfortably numb!

I tend to score it a 7/10 

How about the other esteemed members of this forum? How was your previous life for you?

• Like 2

Well, I was coming here after working in China, so a move to anywhere above the 5th level of hell would have been a step up, especially regarding food.

I didn't actually come here to stay here. I intended to use this as a base to find the right place.

That was 13 years ago, which says most of what needs to be said I guess.

It isn't what it was when I got here, both for better and for worse, depending on why you were here to start with.

It is much less seedy and debaucherous, though regulations on much which was casual has been tightened, so its ups and downs.

At the end of the day though, I do not see myself going home. I have the means to fund myself for the rest of my time.

My family know my funeral service will be here, unless of course I am somewhere else at the time, which will serve equally well.

I have been fortunate to work and visit a stupid amount of countries and for all its faults, Thailand is in my top three across every factor, so it has to be close to a 9 out of 10 I guess. India is a close run second mind were it not for the visa issues.

• Like 2

Guest Isaanlife
2 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Waiting to read all the jealous troll's posts ????

Sounds like you got your life sorted Grecian,.Good for you!

I want to move to Thailand and we are comfortable financially, but my Thai wife wants to stay in this cold dreary country ????

I have a friend in the Netherlands that is dying to move back, however, his Thai want does not want to move back to Thailand either.

Started to consider Thailand for a base of operations around the burst of the dot-com bubble... Was borderline on affordability...  (although I could have done it)...

Thailand at that time was expanding their global presence, well on their way to become a major travel hub in Asia...  Figured I would be traveling around Asia and the rest of the world during my retirement...  Welp, best laid plans and all that...

Fell back into a job during the outsourcing IT wave for a good 10+ years... and built up a good war chest... and got a retirement visa...

The hits just kept hitting:

- the coup happened and it pretty much been all downhill since... Their xenophobic nature & greed got the better of them and they've pretty much turned off investment from the west, and sold themselves to their new masters...

- and when you thought it couldn't get any worse... Covid happened...  As of today, a lot of airlines have taken Thailand off their schedules... it will take years to recover (if ever) from this...

But, got a good taste of local life, during a 2 yr extended (forced visit, due to covid lockdowns, etc)...  and my plans are "evolving"... lol.  Can still retire in Thailand, comfortably...  but ready to explore other (better) venues for longer term stays... 

Currently, returned home to attend to maintenance... and now sort of waiting till the current wave eases, so I can get back...  (yes, life pretty much sucks in the home country when you have the travel bug)... so currently just spinning my wheels...  6/10...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saddic said:

As of today, a lot of airlines have taken Thailand off their schedules... it will take years to recover (if ever) from this...

But, got a good taste of local life, during a 2 yr extended (forced visit, due to covid lockdowns, etc)...  and my plans are "evolving"... lol.  Can still retire in Thailand, comfortably...  but ready to explore other (better) venues for longer term stays... 

Currently, returned home to attend to maintenance... and now sort of waiting till the current wave eases, so I can get back...  (yes, life pretty much sucks in the home country when you have the travel bug)... so currently just spinning my wheels...  6/10...

Airlines taking Thailand off their schedules.? 

I've been eating and reading all day, missed that. What's going on.? 

11 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Waiting to read all the jealous troll's posts ????

Sounds like you got your life sorted Grecian,.Good for you!

I want to move to Thailand and we are comfortable financially, but my Thai wife wants to stay in this cold dreary country ????

So whats the problem, you go to Thailand leave the wife at home - 555

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not everyone's home countries are 3rd world, in most western countries you'd need to be extremely wealthy to keep a home you aren't living in.

Or you can rent it out like I do and use that money to rent a nice place In Thailand while watching  real estate double back home for the past 10 years.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Just don't sell your property back home whatever you do. Don't forget what kind of government is here.

Even on this forum during pandemic there were people moaning about going back home if they weren't too tied  to this country. Things are getting better now, but yesterday I went to the cinema and it was shocking to see how many people decided to remain seated. 

Good luck. I come from a war torn country and perhaps I can be too negative when I see certain things.

In principle I understand your point.

But I think we don't have to worry about any Thai government changes. I experienced many governments in Thailand and two coups. What changed? Very little. If I wouldn't read the news and except of the few days with soldiers on the street I don't think I would be able to pinpoint any major changes in Thailand caused by the government. The biggest change was probably the enforcement of 1am or 2am closing times when Purachai was active in Thailand, and he wasn't even PM. All other changes were minor - at least from an ordinary person's point of view.

I think extreme changes like i.e. in Myanmar won't happen in Thailand for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Or you can rent it out like I do and use that money to rent a nice place In Thailand while watching  real estate double back home for the past 10 years.

But homes in your country are probably cheaper than homes in Thailand.

Back in the UK I'd get nothing I wanted for 200,000 pounds (10MBht), then the taxes would be another 1500 pounds/year, and the utils would also want money every month.

By not having that home in the UK, I can live in Asia for nearly 20 years.

• Like 1

Life back home was good, but because of health issues, Thailand have been better, and here I am 100 healthy and happy. Used to travel for work, and will continue as fast this covid restrictions dissapear. 

Im more happy in Longterm relationship, but it takes a bit experience and interest to learn and do mistakes as well. But as said each for itself what they wish and are comfortable with. If you can not trust your dessions, yourselves or the girls you meet, I guess renting i easier for some or mabye most?