Just braved a few days with the Mrs family

Kenny202

I know a fellow American that married? had a baby with a Thai that already had two children. I said, You have a unique life as you get to see Thai's up close, get to know them. He replied, Not as much fun as you might think. We have nothing in common. So it's not easy!

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Citzofwrld2 said:

I know a fellow American that married? had a baby with a Thai that already had two children. I said, You have a unique life as you get to see Thai's up close, get to know them. He replied, Not as much fun as you might think. We have nothing in common. So it's not easy!

They are family - that is what he has in common and through the many years, that has often been the greater part of conversation... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Mine is the same. Yesterday Mrs & daughter went out and bought 4kg of pork for a BBQ because there were 10 people involved! Plus loads of salad stuff and a 500Bht bucket of KFC for the kids. I asked if there was enough food! It all got consumed.

Offered a bottle of (home made ) wine which was accepted. Visiting members of the family made a point of saying bye bye this morning, especially the ones who had done a LFTest before coming.. Am I lucky or what?

My thought upon retiring to Thailand was that the best scenario would be finding a sterile orphan, but loving Thai female.after Five years here I have a wife, 26 years my junior with a teen Daughter but th family is Eat of Bangkok, independently rich in land and my wife is not close. So, she and the Daughter visit for a day when we travel to Samui but otherwise, no drama. Very fortunate …

• Confused 1

Well let me just say this. My Isaan family are cash poor, but I believe fairly land rich. Mum has a few baht gold. Dad seems to have nothing but a prize breeding buffalo. They run a small shop but it has seen better days and there are other better shops in the village. They do not have any cash to splash around, ever. 

One day a pickup truck arrived without warning and disgorged about 8 Thais. Mum and Dad are very surprised to see them. They are apparently distant uncles, aunts and cousins not seen for a considerable time. So of course food and alcohol is laid on for them all. They bring nothing to the party. They lounge around lording it over their poor relations, eating and drinking for a few hours then leave, grabbing a couple of bottles of whisky from the shop as they do. I sat there watching and listening and trying to be pleasant. I am quite certain there was no payment offered and certainly not asked for any of it, not even the whisky taken from the shop as they left.

Afterwards I expressed surprise to my wife, especially about the whisky. She says well what can we do or say? They are relatives.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah its not the culture or their culture is different etc. I get it....but can you picture a Thai going to a foreign country. Hey, we're going out to dinner tonight. You wont understand anyone nor will I make any effort to make you feel comfortable...and by the they'll be ordering the most expensive things on the menu and enough to take home for tomorrow as well. And at the end of the night no one will thank you, let alone say goodnight. I can't picture it all

Reminds me of a GF I had used to religiously forget my birthday, not that I cared but I did note that this and many other things weren't important when it was happening to others...but was completely different when it involved them. Birthday not Thai culture. It was her culture when it was her birthday and was expecting an expensive gift.

I understand your feelings, your experience, but don't generalise it. The birthday thing for example, in my experience, a Thai GF or Thai wife will certainly remember your birthday (and those of a number of close friends and relatives) and will make sure to give a nice story of it - maybe not with an expensive present.

I also have the same experience as a few above, wife's family is quite a decent bunch and will say (occasionally) thank you. That being said, communication is near zero, the fact is simply that they have absolutely no formal education and also no interest in what is not Thai. Even the "educated" ones.

In your OP, you said "the sooner you accept we have absolutely zero in common with them, the easier it is to live here". I think you are right with that. I must say, I struggle at times with, mostly, the lack of any possible discussion beyond platitudes, even with the so-called educated ones, even with those who speak good English, even with the fact that I'm quite conversational in Thai. I struggle with that and at times - forgive me - I come to despise them for all that.

I lived in a number of countries - Africa, Europe, Middle East, Australia, Asia - I think Thais are the weirdest of them all.

Edited by gejohesch
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Well let me just say this. My Isaan family are cash poor, but I believe fairly land rich. Mum has a few baht gold. Dad seems to have nothing but a prize breeding buffalo. They run a small shop but it has seen better days and there are other better shops in the village. They do not have any cash to splash around, ever. 

One day a pickup truck arrived without warning and disgorged about 8 Thais. Mum and Dad are very surprised to see them. They are apparently distant uncles, aunts and cousins not seen for a considerable time. So of course food and alcohol is laid on for them all. They bring nothing to the party. They lounge around lording it over their poor relations, eating and drinking for a few hours then leave, grabbing a couple of bottles of whisky from the shop as they do. I sat there watching and listening and trying to be pleasant. I am quite certain there was no payment offered and certainly not asked for any of it, not even the whisky taken from the shop as they left.

Afterwards I expressed surprise to my wife, especially about the whisky. She says well what can we do or say? They are relatives.

just head over to their place, eat and drink all you can lay your hands on, load up any items lying around you like the look of, and head home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I understand your feelings, your experience, but don't generalise it. The birthday thing for example, in my experience, a Thai GF or Thai wife will certainly remember your birthday (and those of a number of close friends and relatives) and will make sure to give a nice story of it - maybe not with an expensive present.

I also have the same experience as a few above, wife's family is quite a decent bunch and will say (occasionally) thank you. That being said, communication is near zero, the fact is simply that they have absolutely no formal education and also no interest in what is not Thai. Even the "educated" ones.

In your OP, you said "the sooner you accept we have absolutely zero in common with them, the easier it is to live here". I think you are right with that. I must say, I struggle at times with, mostly, the lack of any possible discussion beyond platitudes, even with the so-called educated ones, even with those who speak good English, even with the fact that I'm quite conversational in Thai. I struggle with that and at times - forgive me - I come to despise them for all that.

I lived in a number of countries - Africa, Europe, Middle East, Australia, Asia - I think Thais are the weirdest of them all.

having traveled widely i can say islamic countries are by far the most hospitable, and of those iran and pakistan would top my list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Mind you muggins pays for it all of course.

I've read that when going out for a meal with Thais in their culture the person perceived as being the most well off is the person that should pay. I've also read the younger generation was trying to move away from this custom. On a different note, the country I am from and the way I was raised was if a friend needs help with something (moving house etc.) you go help. A little gas may be paid or lunch may be paid for the help but no money is asked for. The person needing the help may be polite and ask "what they owe?" I always say "nothing owed" because I figure they're a friend and they'll help me if and when I need. All the Thai people I've made friends with want to be paid to help with anything so I'm very selective about who my friends are. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Citzofwrld2 said:

The only Thai I want to get close to is the Thai in my bed at night.

I give small cash gifts to my GF's closest relatives at Christmas. I contribute to my quasi-grand-daughter's education. Her divorced parents are skint most of the time.

As another poster has said,it is important to set boundaries.

I am treated with respect by all my GF's relatives. However, that may just be because I am usually twice their size.

@Gilligan In Drag I enjoyed reading the anecdotes you shared in your post.  I could relate to most of them, including the sense of not belonging back in the US as well. Back home, those social slights always felt personal and mean-spirited, as if one was being deliberately excluded or marginalized, but for some reason I rarely take it personally when it happens here. I let it roll off my back here because it never seems mean-spirited or malicious.

The one exception I can think of was a few years back I had a running feud with some neighbors down the road over loud music. Sometime not long afterwards they had a ngan buat (ordination) celebration which everyone in the neighborhood, except me, was invited to. That hurt my feelings to a certain degree, but the truth was, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway, even if I had been invited.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

It is almost a book, but here is my story and my experience with my thai gf and her family:

I am in my mid-20s and never planned to come to Thailand to get a gf here, thinking all Thai Woman are all gogos, bitches and golddiggers. But I was sick of the feminist-brainwashed-woman in Europe already, as well.

Then I saw my now gf and it was over for me. The beautiful smile, the innocent face, the good aura, the beautiful body and skin color. And the girly-like behavior without any percentage of feministic touch.

She was and is an angel in this world full of weird bitches.

She went to a Buddhist University in Isaan, is very beautiful (while most Thais luckily think she is ugly because her skin is tanned lol, these idiots) and the most kind-hearted person I ever met in my life.

When I met her I was 23 and she was 21. She never had a boyfriend before, just a girlfriend lol. Her only sibling, her sister, is in a relationship with a girl since many years already as well.

I do not need to mention, her parents were very happy when my now gf finally met a boy in her life. They thought already they would never get grandkids lol, both daughters being lesbian <deleted>, but I converted one back to the straight way successfully ????

And actually since she saw how the relationship between her sister and me is, the sister of my gf is starting to change as well and gets slowly but surely interested in boys as well. I am healing the whole family hahah!

Anyway, now to the family situation:

The mother of my gf is an angel, everyone in the village is calling her like that and now I know why. She just cares about everyone else and I need to say she is a better mom than my own one. I actually never saw a mother like her before, her heart must be very heavy. She was working most of her life in a factory, producing clothing, for 350 THB a day. She did not liked it but always did it anyway and sometimes ate nothing to safe the money for the education of her kids.

While her father is kinda silent and bit rough, like men are, but a cool guy. I like to smoke some ganja with him and he actually did me some favors regarding this topic already. He works as a guy who do painting-jobs and some artisanal stuff in his village and around.

Both are poor but hard-working people with a good heart. They have a small house in a small village in Isaan, i would value it max 800.000 THB including the land, that it is. They had more land in the past but a relative needed money, kind-hearted how they are they sold the land, helped out and they never got it back until today.

When I met my gf the first time, she actually mentioned something like sinsod. While I can actually understand that, being not rich, having a daughter, putting a lot of money into her education and knowing she will never yield the same money back for the family if she is being with a man and just living as a housewife, while living in a country with no social security net.

But I said that I would not feel comfortable doing that and in my culture it seems like a way of buying a woman, and it was never a topic again, not once.

The ex-gf of my gf always helped the family. They opened a steak house in Khon Kaen for example, paid by her. And so on and so on.

Well, but I did my part anyway. In my way. I took their money, all they got, 90.000 THB, and put it into crypto.

Took me around 30 mins of work.

Cashed out 150.000 THB of it already, while still having 350.000 THB left at the moment. They are very happy and think I am a genius money-multiplier, while I just helped a bit with my experience, same what I did to all my friends who made a <deleted>load of money with crypto because of my tips already as well ???? What is the point, why not?

Me and my gf are living together far away from Isaan on an island in the south since one year.

I bought a house with big garden here. In her name. No leasing, nothing. Bought it from a french guy, was in the name of his wife for over 10 years already. Not all Thai woman are lying gogo-girls just after your money, you just look in the wrong places or having the wrong energy. Or you are old, fat and/or disgusting and look for something out of your range.

By the way, buying the house was the most easiest process ever, french guy took crypto. I love Thailand. No property taxes. Fertile land. Seaview. Just awesome. When I compare to the process of my home country, <deleted> that <deleted>.

Now the mother of my gf is here since 4 months to support us because we have our now 1-year-old daughter ????

She quitted her job in the factory because they forced her to get vaccinated and I told her to refuse. I explained her why, my gf translated for sure, but she understood it very well.

Not only the issues with the side effects, but the whole thing with the QR codes and digital prison. She got a lot of common sense and have what I call emotional intelligence. All of her friends are still unvaccinated as well and after seeing three people dying in their small village after getting the death-jab, I got very high respect there now, after they didn't believed me at the beginning. But in contrast to "educated" people these poor people still trust their common sense and own experiences, instead of denying everything they see just because they are being told it is not the truth like all these "educated" people. I love them.

As I said above, mother of gf is here since 4 months and I love her so much. She is cooking, helping us in the garden (actually doing most of the work) and whatever. A nanny, a housekeeper, a gardener, a cook. Working from morning to night for us, while I can enjoy the time together with my gf, she can improve her language skills and take all the time she need to be with our daughter.

Her father was here for one month as well and did good work with his painting and artisanal skills, all for free for sure ????

And the only thing I need to give back is buying the food for us four, while most of it is coming out of our garden or from the ocean for free anyway. I feel very blessed and the mother of my gf can stay here as long as she wants, I love her aura.

She even started to learn a bit of English because my Thai is still broken (what a shame, actually, but being pretty busy)

The rest of the family all can survive comfortably from the sister of gf working as a teacher for 20.000 THB/month and father of gf working in Isaan doing his artisanal and painting stuff.

They hope their crypto investment will continue to grow, then they wanna buy some rai of land in their village and want to put it in the name of our daughter and start farming it ???? They are so happy they finally have their first grandkid.

I know my gf since 2019. In March 2020 when there was the big Corona Crash in the markets and I really lost most of my money because of the crypto crash due to high leverage trading, my gf understood I would be completely broke. I never gave her a Satang until that day, bought nothing in her name or whatever.

She instantly offered me that I can come to her to Isaan and live with her family. While I was not in need of that, I just took the offer to see if its real. It was. They thought I would have like really no money at all anymore and treated me like one of them, after being with my gf for not even a year at that time. Her father gave me weed for free, they bought all the food from their little spare money and treated me very well for some time. Then the markets recovered and I told them I do not need to live there anymore, I made money again. Huge money since then, actually. Thanks crypto, thanks territorial taxation system in Thailand, by the way. This place is a legal tax haven if you structure it well.

So yeah, I know of all the stories of old fat or stupid farang who get cheated by Thai woman. But things like this happen in western countries as well, a friends father for example was completely drained after a divorce.

And from my observation it seems like it is always the stupidity of the farang man when they get drained by the Thai woman in Thailand. They get together with a type of woman they would avoid in their home country. Take a bitchy-snitchy looking woman and you will get what you expect.    I just took the most cutest, innocent and kind-heartiest woman I ever saw and got exactly what I expected. 

I could not be more happy regarding my gf and our family.  The only thing which is making me unhappy in Thailand atm is the corona-dictatorship that is waiting around the corner while Thai people are lethargic like they always are.

We still wait how the situation develops here the next months, but we are ready moving to El Salvador or Mexico or wherever I decide it would be the best place for us, if needed tomorrow. My gf, being Thai which usually do not like to leave their country and her family behind, is ready to follow me everywhere, she respect my authority and she knows that I can decide better than her.

I love Thailand (beside Corona). I love the taxation system here. I love my girlfriend. I love her family.

• Like 1

Gecko123- Yes, if I had to compare back home being left out versus being left out here, yes I too would say there is more than likely something more sinister when Americans freeze you out of things and therefor its worse where there is a kind of cluelessness about it in Thailand. Its a weirder thing to me here, the whats me worry attitude,  leaving you out would never even register so its not even like its an error they can regret or apologize for in many cases, or its just, well thats how things roll, the sun is too hot sometimes who ever apologizes for that with any sincereity. But back home it can really be painfull, or it used to be, I've been gone a long time so my ties are pretty scant .  Yes my siblings and Mom do it, they don't like my view of the world, so I am not even really worthy of even being spoken to civilly, if i am spoken to at all, its retard this and moron that etc. who needs it. They have the problem not me. I have to say and i 'm sorry to say it, but I could care less about them now, they don't care about anyone but themselves and what can you do with that, not much. Sad people. I guess I don't really feel left out after a certain point. Though my mother once was a caring and kind person as were my brothers, I don't know, something happened to them over the last 20 years or so. I have decided they just aren't the same people who I appreciate and have gratitude towards still as they were in the past. It is my view on things that people literally morph into different people over the years, so we don't have to regret hating the woman who gave birth and took care of us because, no, I still do love her, I just hate the woman she later became who did such unbelieveably selfish and  spitefull things to me later in life out of her own bitterness which I had little to do with. She doesn't look, talk, think, do any of the things she used to, she even has a different name. So its not her anymore as far as I'm concerned. But Life continues and it is all really such a treat, we don't have long to live, and each day is a gift. Some say a human life is rare even if we do reincarnate, so yes you have to let all of your disappointments and other such things roll off your back as you say and relax and enjoy. Happy New Year to you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

having traveled widely i can say islamic countries are by far the most hospitable, and of those iran and pakistan would top my list

I agree with you. I have a lot of experience with Iran and Syria, with close-up contact i.e. real friends and nearly family, and also knew an Iraqi family years back. I even spent some time in northern Pakistan and liked the people there. All these countries have lots of fine, nice, generous people. Also as soon as they have a basic education, they are people you can discuss all sorts of things with. I forgot, they also have a sense of honour that IMO is rather lacking with Thai people. As for generosity, I came to the bottomline view that Thais can be very generous .... with someone elses's money!

Btw, I'm just another farang, I'm not from the Middle East. Just saying this because some people could suspect that I am biased.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Morpheus42 said:

Well, but I did my part anyway. In my way. I took their money, all they got, 90.000 THB, and put it into crypto.

Took me around 30 mins of work.

Cashed out 150.000 THB of it already, while still having 350.000 THB left at the moment. They are very happy and think I am a genius money-multiplier, while I just helped a bit with my experience, same what I did to all my friends who made a <deleted>load of money with crypto because of my tips already as well ???? What is the point, why not?

Good for you! That's great! From what you say in your book that I read and enjoyed reading, heheh, you are more active and more of a wheeler dealer with crypto than I am. For example I would never dream of taking out leverage, its too scary for me, sounds like you can roll with the consequences and handle it, can't say that for myself. I fret for weeks about making a single trade, I get my buy or sell signals and i always screw them up and start second guessing and over thinking and revising them. I do get those right more than I should but it takes me a lot of just sitting for hours and staring at the same chart and looking and looking and doing nothing for weeks.  I just can't very easily trust the technicals. So I just hodl mostly.

So I am still waiting for years for the point where my family will see the results of my crypto investments which I will have to start cashing out on soon because I'm just about broke. But My niece is a very hardworking go getter and works as an accountant in Pattaya. I used to talk to her about crypto say five years ago, to try to point out she could do well and she would just gasp unfortunately, "Oh no not Bitcoin! They'll put you in prison for that you know! You're really crazy buying Bitcoin!" My wife has always listened to her more than myself and its always, "Well, I never see any money in our account that comes from Bitcoin so its all <deleted> as far as I am concerned." Yeah, she is right in a way, but I keep showing her the charts how our Bitcoin has gone up 15,000% in value, its mad and there's no way it will go back down to 300 dollars a coin that it was when I bought little bits here and there and still have them. She knows it is our only hope to get decent money back in our life and she is atrting to believe it as she hears more and more. I wish I could have cashed out some and showed her, but it isn't worth it losing the future upside even if we will soon be done with the bull market, you just keep riding it and making more. There was a period here where it was unclear about crypto and the law, a lot of negativity in the press and world-wide so that attitude was understandable. Now I tell my niece, "just budget for a little bit each month and buy a little bit, they say that is the best way to buy they call it dollar cost averaging and you could have a lot of money in ten years." She is sharp and is an accountant and everything so she gets it and knows it is legal to have now, but now just says, "I don't have a little bit," and that might be true.

As has been said by others above, it depends on the background and educational level of the girl and her family and importantly on the girl herself.  It also extends to friends.  A small group of girls, including my wife, who were at school together some 40+ years ago gathered for lunch or occasionally a few days out of town every few months, before covid.  Some are rich some are well known but all are very nice.  We only moved here in August, before that we would come for visits and when here I was always included, the only husband or man to participate.  I let them order the food, but they alway sask me to choose the wine.  Most have limited English but all make an effort.  The cost is shared equally or almost as one of them frequently brings her adult daughter and somehow we all end up paying for her.  Most grumble but dare not condemn the behaviour.  She takes the view, common among many Thais, that friend and connections should be happy to be asked to be useful. 

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

My Thai is good enough to have a basic conversation. But apart from hallo and how are you it seems we all don't know what to talk about. And somehow I can't imagine things would improve while getting drunk.

Fair enough. I have noticed though that lots of farangs get uptight because they just don't have a clue about what's going on. Lots of them would benefit from taking Thai classes (it certainly changed everything for me back in the day).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What some do not acknowledge is that many in Thailand are two generations removed from quite a tribal existence. In tribes I do not think terms of gratitude are expected, or considered normal. 

So, perhaps it is about learning and development. 

Not even 2 generations, my FiL was a village bandit (would have been the same age as me today) and my woman used to ride around in an Ox cart when she was a little girl.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Isaanlife
12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I give small cash gifts to my GF's closest relatives at Christmas. I contribute to my quasi-grand-daughter's education. Her divorced parents are skint most of the time.

As another poster has said,it is important to set boundaries.

I am treated with respect by all my GF's relatives. However, that may just be because I am usually twice their size.

I don't set any boundaries.

My wife's family is now my family.

Family is family.

I understand they are poor and their plight, while I have way, way more than enough to last me through the years.

I have bought a large tractor, farm vehicle, pickup truck, 2 wheeled tractor, pay for the fields to be seeded every year and much more.

I always pay to take them on holidays, celebrations, weddings, birthdays, you name it.

My family appreciates it and in return takes very good care of me.

For me personally, I get a sense of joy taken care of everyone.

We don't have any issues and function as one big happy family.

You cannot even begin to image how much poverty some families grew up in?

My wife never even had a toy growing up and I feel sorry about that.

Until the big nose farang arrived on site, no running water, no appliances, no furniture.

I simply will not let one child or relative suffer if I can do something about.

That is my philosophy and I am extremely happy to be their salvation.

If I can bring some happiness before I die, that is exactly what I will continue to do.

My wife will always have enough to last her entire life.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:56 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

My wife pretty much forgets my birthday easily... but she forgets her own too... we never exchange gifts on occasions. 

X 1  same with us, I might buy my missus something she needs occasionally, but its not for Xmas or birthdays. Birthdays may involve a 7/11 cake with a candle stuck in it :cheesy:  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not even 2 generations, my FiL was a village bandit (would have been the same age as me today) and my woman used to ride around in an Ox cart when she was a little girl.

She had it lucky my missus used to walk 1 hr to school without any shoes to her name. She now owns the 8 ria that the family live on. Her Mum died when she was 8yr and her Dad died when she was 12. A very strong minded, hard working woman.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

I don't set any boundaries.

My wife's family is now my family.

Family is family.

I understand they are poor and their plight, while I have way, way more than enough to last me through the years.

I have bought a large tractor, farm vehicle, pickup truck, 2 wheeled tractor, pay for the fields to be seeded every year and much more.

I always pay to take them on holidays, celebrations, weddings, birthdays, you name it.

My family appreciates it and in return takes very good care of me.

For me personally, I get a sense of joy taken care of everyone.

We don't have any issues and function as one big happy family.

You cannot even begin to image how much poverty some families grew up in?

My wife never even had a toy growing up and I feel sorry about that.

Until the big nose farang arrived on site, no running water, no appliances, no furniture.

I simply will not let one child or relative suffer if I can do something about.

That is my philosophy and I am extremely happy to be their salvation.

If I can bring some happiness before I die, that is exactly what I will continue to do.

My wife will always have enough to last her entire life.

I understand your logic, but here's where I differ. When I first arrived in Issan I thought it was a hoot. Like stepping back to a simpler time, grow some rice for food, do odd jobs for cash, always there if you needed help. Me, I've been doing man's manual labor since I was a kid, as a 15 yr old I'd get up 5am work at a dairy before school and after, weekends were 10 hr days. As an adult I worked 8-16 hrs a day/ 7 days a week for months as per my contracts. If I needed work looking for work was a full time job.

When I ask about relatives if they are working in Issan, reply is no jobs. Seems like they're waiting for a knock on their door with job offers. It's hard to continue helping those who aren't willing to go the extra mile to help themselves. They're good people, they just don't have the drive. Even to improve there homes is not important it seems. 

I was going out with this girl, and me and her were sitting with her family, it was arranged we would meet that evening in a restaurant for dinner, I knew I would be expected to pay the bill. so about 2 hours before, I said I was very hungry, so took her into a restaurant for a meal.

So when it came to meet the family at the restaurant, all I had was a soft drink, I told them I had already eaten, so they could not present me with the bill, and that's the way it worked out.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1