Fifth wave of COVID-19 already sweeping through Thailand – Medical Services chief

webfact

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

This is the major - and legitimate - concern,  See the UK, right now, for how things could quickly go pear shaped.

PH

It’s not gone pear shaped in the UK. People got colds/flus like this time of year, every year. Some are called omicron . And the NHS line of near collapse is prevalent on the front pages of the usual suspects just like every year.  I have been here in Thailand for a week. This pic sums it all up for me here, all show  just like always.  

8BD56917-EA07-4153-8597-8DA6A9474AD9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

What math is there to do? That's 1 in 20 arriving positive with a mandatory hospital stay from what I am reading and the hospitals are full.

That's a money maker there; does the moeny roll-in in waves ?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

with the curve of infections on a steep rise and body temperature scanners installed in most offices and public venues not catching asymptomatic cases, said Dr. Somsak Akksilp, director-general of Medical Services today (Wednesday).

And they never have.

Easily fooled if needed with a few Paracap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

If Australia has an 80% vaccination rate and has averaged 35,000 cases in the last 7 days (48,000 today) surely Thailand with 3 times the population could easily get to 50,000cases a day.

What Thailand doesn't have is thousands of antivaxers taking to the streets to protest and beating up cops. Mask and social distancing compliance is also much higher in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What Thailand doesn't have is thousands of antivaxers taking to the streets to protest and beating up cops. Mask and social distancing compliance is also much higher in Thailand.

Mask wearing is more prevalent here I agree. Social distancing…not so good IMO. Unless of course some official in uniform is there telling them. Testing responsibility is a major  thing that needs attention here though, especially with so many asymptomatic cases running around.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Call me harsh - or call me a realist.

Ok.  So many/most people with Omicron variant are asymptomatic (ie - they are not sick)

I understand that they are vectors, able to transmit to other susceptible/vulnerable people.

However, I think that for the good of our society - it is time to 'let it rip'.

People who (for whatever reason) choose not to vaccinate can take their chances.

Truly vulnerable people should isolate and take extra precautions, so that the rest of society is no longer 'held hostage' to protect a few.

"Realist" or not, the world is going away from "let it rip". 

People who are not fully vaccinated can only leave home for three reasons: medical treatment including COVID testing or vaccination; for essential goods and services such as groceries; and to provide care to a vulnerable family member or person who cannot support themselves.

Unlike previous lockdown rules, unvaccinated people will not be able to leave home to go to work or for exercise, Mr Gunner said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-06/nt-covid-numbers-michael-gunner/100741026

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, G Rex said:

What is going on in the Northern Territory is hardly representative of 'world' reaction...

The pandemic response in many Australian States and Territories has been ridiculously excessive - and futile

I kinda figured that would be the response. It's just an example of what many jurisdictions are doing. Until recently when they stopped lock downs in the face of outbreaks Australia was doing very well. Now their cavalier attitude is coming back to bite them on the proverbial. They will be forced into a retreat because medical staff are in revolt. They are the experts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The extreme headaches, night sweats and nausea are the signs that differentiate Omicron from the flu.

Also, many unvaccinated read "Omicron is milder" wrong, as the medical definition of "milder" is that only that you likely won't need to be on a ventilator. It'll still make you feel like you got hit by a bus.

So, not "milder" as in "will hardly feel it", oh no; this thing will kick your butt good (based on recent reports by those who've had it). And I sure wouldn't want to face it unvaccinated - the one factor preventing you from having a serious case of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

5th? I thought it was 3rd...when did we miss 3rd and 4th?

Me too, I also missed all the exciting news-stories from 4th wave...????

I thought that it was the still the 3rd wave with increasing until about September last year, and therafter slowly fell down to just below 3,000 new daily cased around New Year. I never heard anything in the news about a wave being declared ended, as I heard with both 1st wave and 2nd wave...????

However, it seems like the Delta-variant might be considered as the 4th wave when Delta became the major infection, however the news never mentioned it like that, so now the Omicron-variant must be 5th wave...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

The extreme headaches, night sweats and nausea are the signs that differentiate Omicron from the flu.

Man flu is not the actual flu mate….just saying. I have had ‘actual flu’ . Bed ridden, night sweats, full body ache, and an extreme headache . Took two weeks to get over it. 

• Like 2

What do I actually know about this.? 

Topic 1: Infectious disease
The emergence of ‘new’ infections such as HIV/AIDS and Ebola and the spread of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria are among many signs that infectious diseases still threaten global health. This topic describes the range of infectious agents and the diseases they cause and the risk factors that increase exposure or susceptibility to infection. It reviews the contribution of hand hygiene, sanitation, an effective immune system, vaccination programmes and other defences against infection and the difficulties faced in protecting the world’s population – particularly young children – from infectious diseases.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/sdk100

AE3898AA-053C-4FE8-BD86-7A7DA40042DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, it was a sad day when they changed to the "green bottle" ABV 5% variety.

Now you must be really sick, the old stuff was Pure evil to be honest  now IMHO Chiang and singha taste the same

now leo is hog wash  ugh

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It will not result in herd immunity, but just act like a common cold with no real danger to health - which is not troublesome.  It does protect against the Delta variant according to scientific research in S Africa. so Delta will be displaced. While still active, Delta does not protect us from Omicron, though.

Also, for those with natural immunity after recovering from Delta or Beta or Alpha, there is little concern from Omicron if all of us get infected as it is a milder variant, that doesn't attack our lungs according to scientific research, and our T cells antibodies are still there to oppose it.   Likewise those with jabs are protected from serious illness, not from being infected at some point in time.

The only concern, IMO, is that unhealthy people could swamp the hospitals for a few days or more - and for governments, that is not good news - so they will aim to lockdown until Omicron cases stop spiking. Do not fear it...  

"Do not fear it" 

I wonder if the 334 uk residents who died of covid (Tuesdays figures) didn't fear it? 

Screenshot_20220105_232857_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

people have forgotten surface and don't touch your face which is how the flu spreads with Omicron even faster? ???? with in general the hygiene or lack of in Thailand problem everywhere relative Thailand here it comes?

....You forgot the national Thai hobby of nose picking, and food sharing with or without hands...555. It certainly is bewildering how Thailand has gotten off so lightly so far. I think that as mask wearing has been and still is respected by 99% of Thai people that transmission certainly must be mostly airborne.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

OK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-59888417

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-multiple-hospitals-declare-critical-incidents-as-nurses-call-for-more-restrictions-without-delay-12508585

among many,many others.  It is not so much that ominvirus is fatal, it is the sheer numbers.  0.1% of a huge number is still a very large number - and when many hospital staff have to take time off because they are unfit to work (though not so ill they themselves need hospitalisation) then thge hospitals can become overwhelmed....then what do you do if you fall and break a leg?

PH

16 hour wait for an ambulance in the UK recently recorded.

2 hours ago, XJPSX said:

If Australia has an 80% vaccination rate and has averaged 35,000 cases in the last 7 days (48,000 today) surely Thailand with 3 times the population could easily get to 50,000cases a day.

But no welly boot transmission via sheep and roos here, if you catch my drift....555.

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The only concern, IMO, is that unhealthy people could swamp the hospitals for a few days or more - and for governments, that is not good news - so they will aim to lockdown until Omicron cases stop spiking. Do not fear it...  

Isn't it the unhealthy and/or old ones who have been filling hospitals during this pandemic?

• Like 1