Headline inflation jumps on rising fuel and food prices

webfact

te.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Thailand’s consumer price index (CPI), an indicator of headline inflation, in December rose 2.17 per cent year-on-year, driven by rising fuel and food prices, the Ministry of Commerce said Wednesday. 

This marks the fourth consecutive month of rise in headline inflation since September 2021.

For the entire 2021, the headline CPI increased 1.23 per cent from a year earlier, Ronnarong Phoolpipat, the Director-General at the Trade Policy and Strategy Office, told a briefing. 

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36229/headline-inflation-jumps-on-rising-fuel-and-food-prices/

ti.jpg

Hopefully Thailand won’t see the double digit rises so called first world countries are experiencing. Got to be the absolute sh.1test time to be around post-WWII. Feel sorry for the younger generations as it’s only going one way, and yet you still have the ‘cream of the crop’ thoroughly enriching themselves. Bezos loves the pandemic, eg. The monetary system is broken… not that it ever worked. 

• Like 1

Encountered my first inflation yesterday compared to 2019 prices.

1kg Bread flour up from 31bht to 34bht +10%

1kg All purpose flour up from 24bht to 29bht +20%

500gm of butter mix up from 84bht to 94bht +10%

500gm raisins down from 55bht to 50bht -10%

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I've noticed the rise in many daily commodities over the last few months... 

Meat, vegetables and even daily consumables.

Even fuel has gone up, but then the ministry capped diesel prices if I recall last month.  We watch the daily commodities report in the morning and can see everything going up from a satang to 20 baht.  

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Even fuel has gone up, but then the ministry capped diesel prices if I recall last month.  We watch the daily commodities report in the morning and can see everything going up from a satang to 20 baht.  

I've noticed the price of eggs have jumped again... I bought my usual Size O x 30 yesterday

up 10 baht from last week.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I saw this starting back in June with prices here.  When I mentioned it on another OP I was chastised by some who claim they know how economies work and said that I had no Idea what I was talking about.  I even posted actual indices and indicated how the economy was slowing and we were seeing Stagflation, but oh no that could never happen in Thailand as the economy was still growing with exports and imports.....lol.

Inflation is here and has been here.  Prices on all commodities have risen and then with the transport of goods slowing down, all we can do is hope it does not get worse and those at the poverty level have even less.  With the lack of jobs and the regulations put in place with this government they are just hurting things even more.  However, this is my view and sure I will be once again told I am wrong in this view.

Not so

19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Inflation rising , but interest on your bank deposits ,

not , your cash is slowly melting away ,no wonder

so many people in debt, cash at the moment is no

longer King.

regards Worgeordie

You cant mean that using a credit card is now king and then paying it off before the interest hits.....well now that's a fine howdy ya doo.

Global debt is about 350% of global GDP.

Since the start of the "pandemic" virtually every economy has increased their money supply  through fiscal easement (printing money) north of 30% and still going fast.  The US M2 is up 37% in 18 months.

International productivity has declined, interest rates are on the rise as Feds try to control inflation, but too little too late.

Rampant inflation is on the way - this is what happens when the world follows the Zimbabwe economic recipe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm sure those  unemployed due to constant lockdowns and lack of tourists will be happy to just grin an bare it for another indefinite length of time

The question on everyone's lips, "What are they supposed to do now?" No one seems to care. Many returned bargirls in my village, left begging from their grandparents.

What I really don't get is, why they continue getting blasted with these ads on TV, and as they scroll through their social media. Buy this, buy that. Delicious new food, amazing new skin cream. Shinier, flashier cell phones. Sign up for this rewards program to give you more points the more you buy. Buy some more insurance. You'll need it when you wreck these new big trucks you gotta have. Yet these majority of these people are still dirt poor, and been getting poorer since Covid.

What all these ads say to me is that they'd like more customers. It'd really be in the best interest of Mr. CP, Mr. Singha, Mr. Central to somehow create them. Perhaps by giving all these unemployed people jobs, and paying them decently, so that they might buy more of your products? So that they might move into all those vacant condos, not far from the Klong Toey slums, then buy more products to fill them? 

Keep tormenting us with those ads, for stuff no one can buy, for customers who'll soon magically appear I suppose.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Bread Flour now in Makro is 36 Baht / Kg

All prices have risen by huge amounts 

vegies are particularly hit hard

Plum Tomatoes from 45 / Kg to 80

Spring Onions 400 / Kg from about 180

Chicken over 30% rise

Pork over 70 % rise for most cuts

Fuel costs form Transportation - no rise

Profiteering - massive rise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You cant mean that using a credit card is now king and then paying it off before the interest hits.....well now that's a fine howdy ya doo.

I think debt seems to be King now.......it's very popular

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

14 Baht  wow  will make the Falang Broke and that in 2 years   so 1 beer less then you made up the difference