Highway Police traffic tickets

Banana7

About the one and only highway ticket I got:

you can not pay at the local police station

you can pay (cash) at the counter at Krungthai Bank (only!), 20 Baht fee

(not at other banks)

I can't comment on the other methods.

Thai Post seems to work from what other posters write.

This "PTM" thing if it exists: I could not find an English language menu at an (Krungthai) ATM. I doubt it can be used by foreigners at all.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

highway traffic police vehicle where I live

Lucky boy.

On the major highways like our #12 I see them quite regularly (parked at their stations :biggrin:). We have one station in the district town and one is about halfway to Khon Kaen.

AND: these speed tickets are usually issued based on video observation. No need to see a vehicle.

Sent by postal mail.

All cams on major highways are operated by them.

hwpolice.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Pay the tickets ????   ???? ????

Pretty much every time we head down towards Rayong, Chantaburi and Trat areas we (wife and I) pick up two or three speeding tickets..... (caught by speed cameras).

We’ve never paid them....  No one checks, there are no issues when renewing our road tax... 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pretty much every time we head down towards Rayong, Chantaburi and Trat areas we (wife and I) pick up two or three speeding tickets..... (caught by speed cameras).

We’ve never paid them....  No one checks, there are no issues when renewing our road tax... 

You actually feel the need to drive faster than 120 kph ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

You actually feel the need to drive faster than 120 kph ?

Yawn... there’s always at least one who can’t resist being sanctimonious....  :coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Can pay at Post Office.

These are mainly speed cameras- they normally send you a picture of your car.

Everytime my wife drives up N she comes back with at least 3 tickets. Asked why she says she drives fast to stay awake and she is convinced her journey is 600km whereas Google says it is 470km. I am too scared to go with her!

On many of the expressways / motorway type roads outside of Bangkok the speed limits reduce to 90kmh... 

When the roads are fairly quiet there are pockets of traffic travelling at 120-140kmh.....   

IMO its a lot safer to be travelling at the same speed as other traffic rather that doing 90 kmh and have loads of cars trying to pass with a 30-50kmh speed difference. 

Others will disagree.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have never seen a highway traffic police vehicle where I live. What do they look like? a car or a motorcycle? After 20 years here you would think I would see one.

Something like this i guess if you live in the back of beyond.

Capture.JPG

• Haha 2

A few years back I was at the traffic lights on a interprovincial road (3 lanes each way). 

Two police offers saw me & approached my car, told me I’d been caught on camera speeding.

I asked the the speed limit… one said 80 kmh, the other said 90 kmh !!!

They couldn’t tell me how fast I was going. 

I told them to stop wasting my time, either write a ticket or let me go… 

They let me go…. & then in English said ‘drive safety!’…. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A few years back I was at the traffic lights on a interprovincial road (3 lanes each way). 

Two police offers saw me & approached my car, told me I’d been caught on camera speeding.

I asked the the speed limit… one said 80 kmh, the other said 90 kmh !!!

They couldn’t tell me how fast I was going. 

I told them to stop wasting my time, either write a ticket or let me go… 

They let me go…. & then in English said ‘drive safety!’…. 

21 years ago they pulled me up on my way to Phetchabun with the Mrs. 

I rolled down the window and the 2 cops nearly fell over when they saw a foreigner driving. 

I showed them my license and they waved me on, with a smile.

As I drove off they looked at each other in disbelief, like what the heck just happened. 

????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

On many of the expressways / motorway type roads outside of Bangkok the speed limits reduce to 90kmh... 

When the roads are fairly quiet there are pockets of traffic travelling at 120-140kmh.....   

IMO its a lot safer to be travelling at the same speed as other traffic rather that doing 90 kmh and have loads of cars trying to pass with a 30-50kmh speed difference. 

Others will disagree.... 

On Rt. 32 north of Ayutthaya the speed limit oscillates between 120 and 90kph due to U-turns across the center median.  Of course the speed cameras are in the 90kph areas, usually mounted on overpasses.