Passport held by shady agent for 8 months - please help

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And what exactly do the agents do for extensions marriage. Please outline

Collate all the paperwork, do the running around..attend the IO, act as translator and general interlocutor. I used mine to help me renew my passport and convert  my UK DL to Thai DL.

17 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I'd report it as stolen and get a new passport, seems like you have no choice. If your visa is expired and you didn't have your passport since, that means you're on overstay though?

The problem with reporting it as stolen is that when he applies for a replacement he will be questioned and if his embassy discovers that he actually gave his passport to an agent and it wasn't stolen, that will constitute a false declaration on his application which is illegal and can result in prosecution.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Collate all the paperwork, do the running around..attend the IO, act as translator and general interlocutor. I used mine to help me renew my passport and convert  my UK DL to Thai DL.

I have mentioned all of that in my earlier post. Your comment is irrelevant.

"OP, what assistance did you require for a marriage extension?

It's unusual for agents to assist with extensions marriage. They can deal with organization of docs etc. Not much else. 

Did you meet the financials.

What was the agent required to do. 

Don't just state "obtain the extension" "

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, rodyy said:

in last May I decided to use the service of a (well known) agent in Bangkok to renew my marriage visa. I didn't get my passport back after 8 months (the visa expired in August 2021). The agent won't say anything about the situation other than very vague stuff and she keeps pushing the date back.

Report what has happened to your embassy and ask them about getting a replacement.   Reporting her to the police first when you appear to be on a 5-month overstay doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's unusual for agents to assist with extensions marriage. They can deal with organization of docs etc. Not much else. 

Bloody hell is it your 'time of the month'?

????????

Edited by roo860
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I asked the OP what the agent was actually doing on his behalf. 

Don't think the op has contributed as yet. 

Vague thread with little detail. 

He said that he gave his passport to an agent eight months ago and didn't get it back, that's all the specifics that matters, surely?   

The reason for his using the agent are irrelevant, particularly if he doesn't want to disclose that detail.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So don't ask irrelevant  questions and don't read answers  you consider  irrelevant.  You are not a boss  on this forum and not on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

So don't ask irrelevant  questions and don't read answers  you consider  irrelevant.  You are not a boss  on this forum and not on this thread.

I asked the question "APART from document organization etc what can and agent do for marriage extension"?

You don't see the difference. 

Anyway time for ignore. Been coming for some time. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The problem with reporting it as stolen is that when he applies for a replacement he will be questioned and if his embassy discovers that he actually gave his passport to an agent and it wasn't stolen, that will constitute a false declaration on his application which is illegal and can result in prosecution.

Interesting point. If you employ an agent then are they not simply acting as your agent and you retain ultimate reponsibility. If your passport was stolen from your agent is it the same as being stolen from yourself?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The reason for his using the agent are irrelevant, particularly if he doesn't want to disclose that detail.

The OP did actually explain why he used agent later. Something to do with certification of marriage doc. 

It's all in the thread. Have a read.

It's very relevant as I cannot understand why he used visa agent for that. 

Actually strange thread in my thinking.

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I asked the question "APART from document organization etc what can and agent do for marriage extension"?

You don't see the difference. 

Anyway time for ignore. Been coming for some time. 

A merciful relief..lol But just OOI What answer  are you trying to elicit? To confirm your views?  You have been answered comprehensively.

I'd be interested in how this could progress to 8 months. Surely, at some point (maybe after one month tops?) you need to draw the conclusion that something has gone wrong. What explanation did the agent give for the delay, and has there been any indication if the extension had been obtained before the passport went missing?

Rocking up at your embassy and telling them that your passport hasn't been in your possession for a whopping 8 months probably won't be fun, as waiting this long to report it is pretty much indefensible and as you have no idea what your passport has been used for in the meanwhile (assuming that someone has it). Best case scenario, nobody has used it for anything nefarious, but it sure is something I'd be worried about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The older I get the more I realize that most problems are self-inflicted.

The older I get, the more I realize that there is considerable HELP in inflicting problems. Nothing occurs in a vacuum. Insane bureaucracy is not a personal choice. It is a "take it or leave it" proposition. Blaming yourself is an easy out but it explains nothing.

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting point. If you employ an agent then are they not simply acting as your agent and you retain ultimate reponsibility. If your passport was stolen from your agent is it the same as being stolen from yourself?

Of course. Just as if your hotel manager lost or stole a passport!

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

A bit off topic, but since a new bank account is opened, and presumably closed at the withdrawal, could someone unable to open an account use this method to open one? Shady bank, shady agent...

Yes, they can if an agent can be fund to do only that.   The account doesn't close after the "immigration" withdrawal, you're usually required to deposit something (B1,000-ish) as a first deposit which remains as a balance after the withdrawal.  

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He will not report only "stolen" and nothing more to his embassy.  He gives a complete report of all details.  The embassy will have investigative personnel that will contact the agent.  And most likely will involve local police as well.

Just to say "stolen" is not what will occur.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, they can if an agent can be fund to do only that.   The account doesn't close after the "immigration" withdrawal, you're usually required to deposit something (B1,000-ish) as a first deposit which remains as a balance after the withdrawal.  

Of course  the account remains  open...for next year and as a working bank account

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

I was always wondering how can these agents in Thailand operate legally. You are absolutely under no circumstances supposed to give your passport to anyone. 

When you do file that police report and state you willingly gave away your passport, you may not get another one again.

That could be his biggest issue unless he lies and claims that it was stolen.   Of course, he could just say that he lost it but then he'd have to provide his embassy with a convincing story about why he didn't report it lost 5 months ago.   Then they'd find out that his visa expired, strangely, at the same time and that he was now on overstay.  The hole will keep getting deeper!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course  the account remains  open...for next year and as a working bank account

I know, that's what I said!

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I'd be interested in how this could progress to 8 months. Surely, at some point (maybe after one month tops?) you need to draw the conclusion that something has gone wrong.

There is something wrong with the thread.

The OP gave very little input.

Then 8 months later and complain on a forum is just strange. 

Should never have gotten to this stage.

The use of agent to certify some marriage certificate was not explained fully.

Someone asked in the thread what exactly was required (other than myself). 

Always 2 sides to the story and I can't follow OP,s account of events.

• Like 2