Would you do a PCR ? - Think wewy wewy carefuu

skippybangkok

Be aware that for vaccinated people, ATK tests may show positive only on third day after symptoms. That's what happened to me and I read a bit about it, it seems to be common for vaccinated people who react even to a small quantity of virus, while ATK tests need a certain quantity of virus to be present in the body to be effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the extra long cotton bud shoved up my nose & again to the back of my throat just prior to a dental procedure, I vowed then ' Never Again ' now at home we do a weekly saliva test, so much more civilised.

A tad expensive, some are Baht 150, and the mrs found some at Baht 110, we will do another test on Tuesday 11/01/22.

I will just add that other than to do necessary shopping we don't go out, & the mrs does most of that, when she gets home she then strips off & into the shower and the clothes are straight into the washing machine. ????????????

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, samtam said:

This was issued by the PR department of the Thai Government yesterday; it's on their website too. I have spoken to Bangkok Hospital. If you have mild or no symptoms following a positive PCR test, you can isolate at home. This too is on their website. I was concerned about a mandatory 10 day hospital stay if I was not severely ill, but it seems the policy, first touted by the Medical Services Department early last week, is now being implemented. The number of beds in hospitals, hospitels etc could not cope with the presumed numbers of positive (Omicron?) cases that are going to present themselves over the coming weeks, (or even currently).

1720168801_Screenshot(440).png.dfbffb9117bf16cf2c8a345639dc6cc7.png

Then the issue is how it may be applied by each hospital. There's no guaranty they will not keep you if they wish to cash your money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, candide said:

Be aware that for vaccinated people, ATK tests may show positive only on third day after symptoms. That's what happened to me and I read a bit about it, it seems to be common for vaccinated people who react even to a small quantity of virus, while ATK tests need a certain quantity of virus to be present in the body to be effective.

Yes, agree I've read about this. No point wasting a RAT the 1st day of feeling off. In my own case if I came down with cold/flu like symptoms I'd wait to 3rd day to test.

Ps - home quarantine until day 14. Also nuts in my opinion - am sure it was Omricon and it left just as fast as it arrived. 

the 14 days is still based on the Alpha.version from 2020

Sure - let’s be super conservative - 14 days - after all most Thai people have a wad of cash stashed and don’t  need to work to survive ( not ) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, grain said:

I bought 2 X RATs which I keep at home just in case I or tirak come down with Omi. We're both fully vaxed and both very healthy. We've already discussed it together and if we catch Omi we're not telling a soul and will just self isolate until it passes (3-5 days seems the average) We have plenty of food, water, meds at home. We have separate rooms if only one of us gets it, but that would seem unlikely as we're together all the time. Of course if one of us took a bad turn and needed medical care then we'll handle that is it arises, but all the people I know who have caught Omi were fighting fit a week later. 

Interesting that prior to the Omi variant I did not know one person anywhere in the world who had contracted covid-19. Now all of a sudden I have dozens of close friends in Thailand, UK, Australia who have caught the virus, people of varying ages and varying degrees of health and fitness, and they all report that they had mild cold/flu like symptoms that lasted for 3 days.

We are in sync 100%. well written 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

To the title...hell NO

Forced hospitalization, a money grab, without the need for meds or a ventilator is just plain silly.

I am now naturalised....  so govt actually pay alot towards the hospitalisation - the again.... maybe back end payments to th top are a new way to spin money - who knows.  ???? 

21 hours ago, samtam said:

This was issued by the PR department of the Thai Government yesterday; it's on their website too. I have spoken to Bangkok Hospital. If you have mild or no symptoms following a positive PCR test, you can isolate at home. This too is on their website. I was concerned about a mandatory 10 day hospital stay if I was not severely ill, but it seems the policy, first touted by the Medical Services Department early last week, is now being implemented. The number of beds in hospitals, hospitels etc could not cope with the presumed numbers of positive (Omicron?) cases that are going to present themselves over the coming weeks, (or even currently).

1720168801_Screenshot(440).png.dfbffb9117bf16cf2c8a345639dc6cc7.png

This is exactly what happened with a nephew and his family. They came in, evaluated everyone's symptoms, the living space, who could self isolate, and who could help take care of the isolates.  One went to hospitel and the others stayed at home. All very logical. This was with Delta about 3 months ago.

Edited by rabas

I am not sure they are still around, but Chinese Lepu RAT kits are defective, as they can return false negatives.

The kits that involve transferring the swab contents to a vial for mixing with a few mL of liquid prior to application to the test bed are correctly designed.

Having experienced  spartan hospital quarantine conditions once already, I would definitely self-isolate at home after a positive RAT reading. I would only go to a hospital if I had breathing problems.

• Thanks 2

On 1/9/2022 at 2:53 PM, samtam said:

If you have mild or no symptoms following a positive PCR test, you can isolate at home.

I hope this is correct. However on a 103FM (Pattaya radio) news item the announcer today was talking about this but mentioned that those over 60 would not be allowed to isolate at home?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, topt said:

I hope this is correct. However on a 103FM (Pattaya radio) news item the announcer today was talking about this but mentioned that those over 60 would not be allowed to isolate at home?

Here is the Bangkok Hospital, Bangkok link.

Home isolation is recommended if you fall into the Green category.

If you are designated in the Yellow category, (which includes >60), then they may want to hospitalise you. These guidelines will obviously change if there is a bed shortage, and I suspect that will materialise fairly quickly, as cases increase.

• Thanks 2

Covid is getting boring. In my village in Isan nobody gives a rats aaase, some wear masks, some don't, we are all fully vaccinated. Yes in the next village a couple of people caught covid, in the market town several people have been hospitalized but it's as interesting as cricket. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, skippybangkok said:

I guess its easy for me to say now as I know I can handle it, which I did not know prior to getting it. Had far far worse flu's than this 

Thx for the heads up Skip, yeh, na, would do as you say anyways, no PCR or hospital stay if I get it, even with private cover, not unless I'm really struggling that is.

Question, age, smoker, non-smoker and any pre-existing conditions would help if you don't mind.

The problem with PCR, is that it can take days to get the results back, by then you can “infect the whole village!”

This is my advice if you are in Thailand specifically (I am no doctor). If you start feeling symptoms, take a home ATK test ASAP. If positive and you are in a high risk group, get a PCR. If positive and in a low risk group, take a test again tomorrow and every 3 days after. Of course, stay home (not even to get food… get delivery!) If negative and symptoms persist, take a home ATK again in 3 days. If still negative, but symptoms get worse, get a PCR!

On 1/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, Golden Triangle said:

now at home we do a weekly saliva test, so much more civilised.

A tad expensive, some are Baht 150, and the mrs found some at Baht 110, we will do another test on Tuesday 11/01/22.

My local 7/11 also has a chemist, they have the Gica 2in1 ATK's which can be used either Nasal or Saliva.

Bt.59.00 per test kit.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

My local 7/11 also has a chemist, they have the Gica 2in1 ATK's which can be used either Nasal or Saliva.

Bt.59.00 per test kit.

The Gica's should work OK.

I am still gobsmacked by the fact those kits are less than $3 ( AUD ) here, and $25 in Australia. Some scumbag is making a motza.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, candide said:

Then the issue is how it may be applied by each hospital. There's no guaranty they will not keep you if they wish to cash your money.

If it comes to that then just tell them you only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses, and if they try to force you in, tell them you cannot guarantee they will be paid.

16 hours ago, topt said:

My GF and my son were transfered to a "hospitel" after PCR-tested positive on Saturday. Both without any symptoms.

So I would not count on that you can isolate yourself at home

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

My GF and my son were transfered to a "hospitel" after PCR-tested positive on Saturday. Both without any symptoms.

TIT so yes I would agree especially as only just theoretically being implemented and every "decision maker" will have their own view.

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Where are you/they located? Like so many things, it will vary from province to province, hospital to hospital etc. Much needed clarity on policy is rarely given, sadly.

3 hours ago, topt said:

TIT so yes I would agree especially as only just theoretically being implemented and every "decision maker" will have their own view.

Yes, it's difficult when there is no general policy...

The government plans to conduct more proactive Covid testing to halt the spread of Omicron, the government said on Monday in a scheduled press conference.

A spokesman also added that people with mild Covid symptoms should do home isolation instead of burdening the health system.

Above from Thai Enquirer.

Edited by samtam

Two days ago my stepdaughter 24yrs old (husband and two small children) who I have looked after since she was a small girl suddenly had stomach pains and breathing problems, onset of about 3 hours from healthy and cheerful to groaning. Her husband drove her to hospital and while waiting to see the doctor she collapsed with a heart attack. The doctor did CPR with her lying on the floor and then she was rushed to the ICU. Everybody moved away in horror, covid, covid, covid. She had a severe lung infection and her restricted oxygen intake caused the heart attack, no covid was found. She is now on a breathing machine and is getting antibiotics. It seems now that any breathing problems you have is suspected to be covid. We are looking after her two daughters (one is only 6 months old) but we can't visit her due to fears of bringing covid into the ICU (a sensible precaution I suppose) which is very hard on the two kids and her husband. I think people have become over sensitive to covid in the towns as opposed to the villages.

Edited by soalbundy