Thailand reports 7,926 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, 3,612 recoveries

webfact

COV10.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Monday (January 10) reported 7,926 new COVID-19 cases, 3,612 recoveries and 13 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 7,731. Prisons: 195

▶︎ Recoveries: 3,612

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,248,613

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,170,053

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,277,476 with 21,838 deaths.

The news comes as The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) did not go as far as public health officials had demanded by banning alcohol sales nationwide. Nonetheless, it is believed that a further tightening of regulations has begun.

Business leaders are warning the government the country cannot deal with further lockdowns with confidence among foreign tourists already damaged by the suspension of incoming tourism with 87% of potential travellers rejecting the complicated Sandbox schemes.

*Thai Examiner contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update10JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-10

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

51 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

What is the real number when you include the ATK tests? I'm guessing 10,000

Probably a lot higher as many people with mild symptoms are probably not bothering to test at all!  I wonder how long these daily updates will continue to be published? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

What is the real number when you include the ATK tests? I'm guessing 10,000

what do you think the real number would be if they PCR tested the whole population in one day (impossible I know)

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's the important stats on ICU numbers and those that are currently ventilated. From 1st Jan, as you can see a slow decline in line with the previous descending delta wave. Yesterday saw a small uptick.

image.png.85aea2af6ac8c8528900e856398009bf.png

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Anutin did mention fleetingly during a statement he made within the last couple of Days, that there was and upsurge again of the Delta variant, as well as the Omicron Outbreak.

Maybe this is the reason for the slight uptick of ventilated numbers

But this was Anutin speaking, so who really knows ?

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

as I said on another thread - I know of many people who have a cold right now - very likely omicron, they all tested negative using ATK - they are doing the right thing regardless and isolating until it clears up

Government advice right now should be simple - if you have what seems to be a cold then isolate regardless of ATK result - simple 

It should be simple, but many people (probably most Thai people) need to work!  The current poor air quality here in Bangkok has given me a terrible cough and sore throat (as it usually does every year), but my last ATK test was negative, so I'm continuing to work.

• Like 2

Most people with Omicron do not have any symptoms, but for the ones that do, here are the 8 most common ones:

Cough 54%

Sore throat 37%

Fever 29%

Muscle pain 15%

Runny nose 12%

Headache 10%

Difficulty in breathing 5%

Loss of sense of smell 2%

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1480364504936423426

• Like 1

A new Covid-19 testing centre, capable of conducting up to 1,000 tests a day, will open in Bangkok tomorrow, as the capital grapples with a surge in new cases. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul says it will be on the first floor of Car Park Building B at the government complex on Chaeng Watthana Road.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bangkok-opens-new-covid-19-testing-centre-amid-surge-in-infections

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It should be simple, but many people (probably most Thai people) need to work!  The current poor air quality here in Bangkok has given me a terrible cough and sore throat (as it usually does every year), but my last ATK test was negative, so I'm continuing to work.

I would not be relying on ATK test results - they are showing to be unreliable for omicron, IMO like I just posted - if you have cold like symptoms then just assume it is omicron unless of course you want to get a PCR test - the most common symptom of omicron is a runny nose - if you don't have that then you are probably good

• Like 1

Maybe one of these so-called experts needs to tell Thais that face masks are for protecting others more than yourself and when you sneeze don't pull your mask down to do it. Idiots. As for the numbers they are now and have always been massively under-reported. What we have now is a virus that has indeed an exponential increase. Numbers in Thaiand down from yesterday. I don't think so. Thing about Omicron is it spreds very fast so the peak comes quickly and Delta is pushed out. I'm guessing end of the month should see peaks happening although these peaks will of course be different in different provinces. BKK and Phuket will more than likely be early to peak. Looking at Kalasin info something very odd in the numbers. Definitely not showing the doubling rate experienced elsewhere. Difference may be masks wearing.

http://www.kalasin.go.th/t/index.php/th/covid-19.html

Screenshot (888).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

My wife got home last night after attending to her dads funeral after a period of sickness (old age). She did an ATK (nasal) before boarding the flight, negative, then one again on arriving home (saliva), positive. She is now isolating in the bedroom, no symptoms as yet, the bedroom has en suite facilities and is large so its not a huge inconvenience. No she has not reported it.

Its rife here as it probably is now throughout all the major hubs of Thailand. The testing figures are an insult to everyone, no official published figures for a long time and a total disregard for letting people know the true extent of the spread.

They can only report the tests they carry out and if people like your wife do not report their own tests or get them confirmed officially then are you not a little closer to understanding why the figures are not accurate just by looking at your own situation?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

The thing to keep am eye on would IMO me hospitalizations and deaths. 

My daughter , two other family members in the US and a close family friend, all contracted the what we thin k is the Omicron variant, all recovered with in a week with relatively minor flue like symptoms.

Though it was not fun for them,.  (101 fever, body aches , feeling like sh#t). 

That's a very limited sample but I hope such is the case with everyone else that gets covid.

Let's keep out fingers crossed. ????

Sounds more like Delta

41 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

This mornings PM 2.5 of 171 where I am in Sathorn makes it hard to see past 2 buildings outwards.  Such haze and my air purifier are all working hard to keep the internal at 32.  My eyes have been burning for the past week since the air quality became horrid after all of the construction went back in play 24/7.  Allergy symptoms I do have......

• Like 1

In Australia most states have adopted the practice of allowing people to report online their positive RAT tests. It has been officially acknowledged that there has been some double counting. It means the numbers are not correct. Of course some people may not report, just as likely some people may report they are positive, when not, for whatever reason. So even more a reason to focus less on the raw number and more on the outcomes

• Like 2