Opposition leader argues Thailand should court other visitor groups other than retirees

webfact

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They should target any group that is prepared to come here.

They need all the help they can get. Pretending to have such high standards that you court only specific groups is hubris in the extreme. They should also drop the 50 year minimum age limit for retirees. Plenty of people retire before that. If you can afford to live here and contribute to the economy why have an age limit?

You ting too mut.????

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, webfact said:

An opposition parliamentarian on Tuesday said that Thailand should focus on other potential visitors after the country was named as one of the best places to retire.

But I thought jobless Digital Nomads with high school degrees trying to mine bitcoins was so played out, man?

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.

16 hours ago, poskat said:

they love the short term tourists because they just come here, spend their money and go home, and dont really talk to any thais.

In contrast, those pesky long term people, such as retirees, get to know thai people and have families and spread all sorts of bad ideas to them, including the concept of honesty, that corruption is bad, asking "why", that a person 1 centimeter "above" you doesn't need to be unquestioningly obeyed in all things.

Thais already know what is up it is only farangs who think all Thais have their heads in the Sand. Get a grip Thais do not need outsiders for help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand should focus on other potential visitors after the country was named as one of the best places to retire.

The only eligible category are retirees due to visa limitations, who are increasingly unhappy  with the experience.

Then you have Elite visa for those younger than 50, which is a relatively expensive affair, but to their surprise its only a visa with almost no rights.

Now, who else would you attract!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Thais already know what is up it is only farangs who think all Thais have their heads in the Sand. Get a grip Thais do not need outsiders for help.

a careful reading of what I wrote would reveal that I was talking about people in the government think, not the thai people as a whole

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Temporary retirement visitors?

OK, everyone is temporary but that should be another realness alert to retirees that view themselves as having higher more permanent status than that.

Thailand doesn't offer that to retirees.

Thailand offers Non-Immigrant O visas to retirees that can be extended year by year. And as long as you get permanent pensions then this means extension of stay forever. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Its is both. It's not a zero sum game. It's a tourism based economy so a baseline need to be maintained and growth avenues need to be identified. With that more immigrant friendly policies need to be implemented to get better immigrants than the mongers they attract today.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Undoubtedly. But I listed them already in my suggestions. But is the topic about tourists or retirees?

The topic is about people other than retireees. Like me. I started as a tourist once before I retired in Germany. 

• Like 2

Wish they'd get real and forget tourism... 

It ain't gonna happen no matter who they court..

If it even creaks open a little the one place Tourists will avoid is Thailand

If there's one place you're definitely gonna get COVID it's lying on top of a much used bar girl..  and COVID is going to be around for a long long long long time...  Not years but decades and perhaps even more.. 

By focusing on sex tourists they killed of the real tourists ...  Now they have neither

The seem to be up a brown-coloured creek without an oar..

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Temporary retirement visitors?

OK, everyone is temporary but that should be another realness alert to retirees that view themselves as having higher more permanent status than that.

Thailand doesn't offer that to retirees.

None of us has any security in Thailand, none at all. We are all here on short-term visas/extensions - even me, who has lived here for 26 years and been married to a Thai for 31. Ridiculous. My Thai sister-in-law, by way of contrast, has received a five-year visa to live in Hungary with her Dutch husband. Doesn't even have to do 90 day reports wasting everyone's time to say nothing has changed in the last 90 days.

Why does Thailand always do things backwards? In the real world you are required to inform the authorities when things change. In Thailand you are required to inform them that nothing has. But that's another subject, although such a law does nothing to encourage long-term stayers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1