Thailand ranked Asia’s best and world’s 11th best place to retire

snoop1130

000_9QR9M2.jpg

Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP

Thailand has been ranked the world’s 11th best place to retire in 2022 and is in first place in Asia. The ranking was produced and published by International Living Magazine on January 1st, 2022.

The International Living’s Retirement Index was compiled based on a general overview, financial aspects, lifestyle and governance. Sub-categories include climate, healthcare, cost of living, housing, visas, residence, development, benefits and discounts.

Topping the list is Panama, for its tropical climate, easy access to high-quality healthcare and easy travel within the city.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-ranked-asias-best-and-worlds-11th-best-place-to-retire/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

If that's the case then why do they make it so damn difficult ? Plus to be legal you have to tie up a ton of cash that can't earn interest, I have 800,000 sitting in a bank that could be earning more money.

You could have used that money to earn another 300,000 baht. Well, I did...

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I assume you lived in both, to be able to make that comparison.

I can't speak about Panama, but Colombia has extremely high crime, lots of women willing to set up foreigners (both tourists and expats/people planning to be expats) and killing them even, et cetera.

Sure, that probably happens in Thailand too (at least setting them up), but to the same degree? Naw...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

If that's the case then why do they make it so damn difficult ? Plus to be legal you have to tie up a ton of cash that can't earn interest, I have 800,000 sitting in a bank that could be earning more money.

My funds are invested and making money annually. No way would I park 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. This is the reason I use the 65K minimum monthly income method brought from abroad. It has worked for me for over a decade now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Being beaten by Panama and Colombia is a bit embarrassing ????

I've posted this response before and it seems like an annual event. International Living is trash!!! Look at heir website. They used to heavily promote real estate investments through their website that were in Panama, Costa Rica and Columbia. Now they "just" mention investments in those countries. The website is a scam!

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not much more.

17 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

I've posted this response before and it seems like an annual event. International Living is trash!!! Look at heir website. They used to heavily promote real estate investments through their website that were in Panama, Costa Rica and Columbia. Now they "just" mention investments in those countries. The website is a scam!

Maybe they push RE investing in those countries, because 'owning' is easier.  Which would make those countries a better option to retire.  May also mean those countries have easier visa requirement for those buying in.

Not everyone lives out of a hotel / condo room.  I'm on my 3rd house build.  And never owned any.  Not a risk many are wanting or able to do, especially if 1st one was a failed endeavor.  

Many non-savvy expats have lost their life's savings because of it.  Savvy and not so savvy expats will go where it's safer to buy into the economy.  And that's not Thailand ... 11th place seems fitting.

1st in Asia, doesn't bode well for the rest of the Asian choices.

wwwest5829 proving the 65,000 coming from abroad each month, what method do you use to send it from your country?  If it is WISE (formerly Transferwise)  are their records acceptable to the IMO?

I am thinking of switching from the 800,000 in the Fixed Interest Account method but it is presumably tricky to do it mid annual extension when you have to leave it be for 3 months after the last extension?

Well I would rather live in Thailand than some of those war torn countries like Afghanistan

and the like. Even countries in the ME or Africa that are having droughts and famine.

With most countries in the world having a COVID pandemic, I do not see that many people

are planning big decisions of relocation right now.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe they push RE investing in those countries, because 'owning' is easier.  Which would make those countries a better option to retire.  May also mean those countries have easier visa requirement for those buying in.

Not everyone lives out of a hotel / condo room.  I'm on my 3rd house build.  And never owned any.  Not a risk many are wanting or able to do, especially if 1st one was a failed endeavor.  

Many non-savvy expats have lost their life's savings because of it.  Savvy and not so savvy expats will go where it's safer to buy into the economy.  And that's not Thailand ... 11th place seems fitting.

1st in Asia, doesn't bode well for the rest of the Asian choices.

They were pushing investments in those countries because they owned the developments. They would encourage people to fly down to attend free seminars and then use high pressure tactics to get them to buy into their developments.  A lot like timeshare pitches in resort areas. They developed a bad reputation. They stopped doing that and no longer pitch their own real estate developments, but they are making money from pitching the locations and rentals in the areas. They are not a non-biased source.

I think the trashing of International Living is overblown. Yeah they are a profit seeking business. But at this point I think their biggest flaw is a tendency to overemphasize the positives of places and glossing over the negatives. But they still provide a lot of good information especially about lesser known choices and you're not meant to take their word as gospel. If you're interested in a place its your responsibility to go deeper than puff pieces from any source.

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, farangnomore said:

Both Panama and Colombia have been heavens for retirees for years.  Gringos in these two countries get far better treatment than farangs in Thailand ever will.

Panama and Colombia have their own problems.  I don't think either is cheaper than Thailand.  Panama beauracracy can be a problem dealing with. They are always changing their rules.  Also, everyone will try charge you gringo prices.  Especially in Panama.   More so than what Thailand does.  Lots of petty crime too.  

Edited by shdmn

22 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

My funds are invested and making money annually. No way would I park 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. This is the reason I use the 65K minimum monthly income method brought from abroad. It has worked for me for over a decade now.

Whatever floats your boat... the 800k can be parked and left. My neighbour uses the 65,000/month but always seems to be complaining about getting the timing right... then having to pursue a special statement from his bank at Extension renewal time. 

It is like being told how much one has to spend each month.....

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whatever floats your boat... the 800k can be parked and left. My neighbour uses the 65,000/month but always seems to be complaining about getting the timing right... then having to pursue a special statement from his bank at Extension renewal time. 

It is like being told how much one has to spend each month.....

I can understand his dismay. I find that our household seems to be able to spend most of the 65K a month but, usually, I can put some aside for the "vacation/extras" savings account. My transfer is made after my US bank sends the deposit message as a result of my SS check arriving (thus my reminder). Actually, my transfer each month is $2200 so, usually more than 65K arrives into my Bangkok Bank Account. Ha! $65.00 raise this year. Not the rich and famous but a comfortable working middle class retirement that I could not sustain in the USA. As you say circumstance conditions and outlook varies.