The Silent, Vaccinated, Impatient Majority

cdemundo

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Don't worry about me i can use my brain and trust in science. You on the other hand have one thing going for you that is your preserverance unfortunately you apply it wrongly.

Now if you use that preserverance to really educate yourself and stop reading antivax nonsense you might actually one day be on par with normal people. 

We all had to learn to check data and think for ourselves in your case somewhere along the line it went wrong. But plenty of people have changed their minds and came out better. So who knows one day you might actually look back and understand how wrong you were. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You have as much chance of repealing the laws of probability as you have of overturning the laws of thermodynamics or nullifying gravity. Have at it.

It is not about you. It's about the selfish turds who won't get vaccinated and are 6 times more likely to tie up stretched hospital resources. Even politicians understand that, and they are not the sharpest tools in the drawer.

Fallacies arise from invalid assumptions. I am stating fact, sorry if that inconveniences you.

Please show me a credible link that demonstrates there is ANY age cohort where the PROBABILITY of a vaccinated person requiring hospitalisation is greater than someone who is unvaccinated.

The problem is when statistics are simplified to the point of becoming catchphrases (such as "most people in ICUs are not vaccinated") without stressing that external factors such as age or comorbities play a major role, then the perception of the reader/listener is influenced into thinking "unvaccinated = ICU" and that is just not factual, therefore the reasoning is faulty and at the end of the day it is just plain sophism. This article is a good example.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

The problem is when statistics are simplified to the point of becoming catchphrases (such as "most people in ICUs are not vaccinated") without stressing that external factors such as age or comorbities play a major role, then the perception of the reader/listener is influenced into thinking "unvaccinated = ICU" and that is just not factual, therefore the reasoning is faulty and at the end of the day it is just plain sophism. This article is a good example.

The hole in your argument is seen when the rest of the information reveals the outcome for vaccinated v unvaccinated people who exhibit the same comorbidities.

Here's an interesting article from a large American insurance company about death rates in the last year. Up 40% in 18 to 60 year old's. The funny thing is that they are not being classified as covid deaths! What's up with that? Just wondering.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/indiana/indiana-life-insurance-ceo-says-deaths-are-up-40-among-people-ages-18-64/article_71473b12-6b1e-11ec-8641-5b2c06725e2c.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The hole in your argument is seen when the rest of the information reveals the outcome for vaccinated v unvaccinated people who exhibit the same comorbidities.

That does not change the validity of what I have demonstrated. The example article I posted opposes an overwhelming majority of unvaccinated people on the one hand and a minority of vaccinated people on the other hand, with no further details whatsoever and that is a deliberate misrepresentation of facts.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

The real problem in this “debate” is that one set of people want to decide for another set what to do with their lives. 

No, the real problem is one of accepting responsibility for one's actions.

You don't want to be vaccinated? Fine by me. Just don't expect free treatment in the public hospitals you clog up.

Don't expect to be given equivalent privileges when attending a sporting event, or seeking to be employed in a profession where the vulnerable need protection.

The science is in. Unvaccinated people that get COVID will have a much longer infectious period than vaccinated people who get infected. Fact.

You are potential plague carriers, don't you get that? Why should you be accorded the same rights as people who have acted responsibly?

We live in what are called democracies. Anti-vaxxers are a minority. Under said systems, and most other forms of government, minorities don't get to call the shots.

• Like 2

Perhaps weakly related to the topic but still relevant.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything"

and

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

George Bernard Shaw

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Perhaps weakly related to the topic but still relevant.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything"

and

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

George Bernard Shaw

Seem quite stupid sayings. Everybody “changes their mind”.

And “ false knowledge” is clearly not “knowledge” at all just false belief.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 300sd said:

Here's an interesting article from a large American insurance company about death rates in the last year. Up 40% in 18 to 60 year old's. The funny thing is that they are not being classified as covid deaths! What's up with that? Just wondering.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/indiana/indiana-life-insurance-ceo-says-deaths-are-up-40-among-people-ages-18-64/article_71473b12-6b1e-11ec-8641-5b2c06725e2c.html

The article you cited gives a direct answer to the question you posed. But for some reason, you decided not to reference that explanation in your post above, instead preferring to make some kind of vague innuendo about COVID deaths.

Here's the explanation in the article you cited, and it's hardly new or exciting, and the same reality regarding COVID death counts has been recited many times before, to anyone paying attention:

"“What the data is showing to us is that the deaths that are being reported as COVID deaths greatly understate the actual death losses among working-age people from the pandemic. It may not all be COVID on their death certificate, but deaths are up just huge, huge numbers.”

Let me repeat the key point with my emphasis added:

"the deaths that are being reported as COVID deaths greatly understate the actual death losses among working-age people from the pandemic."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Very entertaining fiction.  I do love the sincerity with which you claim to understand genetics and mutations.

Actually, he is pretty accurate description of selection.

Most people who post on here about evolution/mutation/selection muddle it up.

Selection acts upon the existing variation in a population.

The post is pretty accurate in describing that.

A series of off-topic posts debating obesity have been removed, along with a series of COVID and vaccine misinformation, trolling and flaming posts by several members who have earned suspensions.

The topic of the thread is:

The Silent, Vaccinated, Impatient Majority

14 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

That study is for Delta.  We're on to Omicron now.  Which has been proven to evade natural immunity.  Do the research on the data from South Africa.

From that article:

Protection against Delta was highest, however, among people who were both vaccinated and had survived a previous COVID infection, and lowest among those who had never been infected or vaccinated, the study found.

31 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

Hi All

I haven’t posted since my escape from Thailand in June to Canada.

I recall that not a few posters at that time were cheerleading for Sinovac. How’s that going for you?

All the best, ABCbangkok

Don't think I understand your post....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

Hi All

I haven’t posted since my escape from Thailand in June to Canada.

I recall that not a few posters at that time were cheerleading for Sinovac. How’s that going for you?

All the best, ABCbangkok

I was vaccinated with Sinovac in early August. Followup with AZ early September. Caught what I assume was the Delta variant in early October. 3 days of a sore throat and runny nose, finish. No after-effects.

The data was saying while Sinovac was like tossing a coin in terms of preventing infection, it was much more effective with respect to preventing serious illness. I'm a scientist, I follow the data.

At that time, due to bureaucratic delays, other vaccines such as Moderna and Pfizer were as scarce as hen's teeth in Thailand. I took what I could get, because I am in the most vulnerable age cohort, and waiting for months for alternatives would have been stupid.

I had myself tested for COVID antibodies two weeks after the AZ jab, 64 U/mL.

I'm not a cheerleader for Sinovac. Having said that, I believe the Sinovac/AZ combination shielded me from far worse outcomes.

Those consequences include long COVID, which is well documented. Here's the most recent link:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-study-examines-lasting-side-effects-of-long-covid-19?utm_source=Thaiger+Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-01-22

Vaccines bad, no vaccines good. Eric Blair would have been amused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, James105 said:

Probably the same as what happened in 25% vaccinated South Africa I would think.  Not very much.   

CDC: Boosters 90% effective in preventing severe COVID-19, hospitalizations

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/cdc-studies-show-boosters-90-effective-preventing-severe-covid-19-hospitalizations/WCI3J7EFGNEX5BHKVX6IKWPP7E/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Actually, he is pretty accurate description of selection.

Most people who post on here about evolution/mutation/selection muddle it up.

Selection acts upon the existing variation in a population.

The post is pretty accurate in describing that.

Well, actually not. For one thing, his description implicitly posits that the covid variants were pre-existing in the population all along. Not the case. These are mutations. They are novel. They are new.

Second he claims that it's the vaccines that are responsible for the rise of variants because they inhibit the spread of previous versions of the virus. First off, this does nothing to explain why these variants become dominant in unvaccinated populations which is still most of the world. But even in vaccinated populations what drives the success of these variants is the fact they they are more transmissible than the variants that preceded them. It may be true that in a small, way vaccination helps variants compete by inhibiting other competitors.. But overwhelmingly it boils down to the R factor: transmissibility. The Omicron variant is far more transmissible than any other variant. So naturally it's going to outcompete other variants in the vaccinated and the unvaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1