All choking aside, is Thailand making progress in battle with air pollution?

webfact

Thailand-air-pollution_web.jpg

The World Bank estimates that air pollution-related healthcare expenses are equivalent to 4 percent of a country’s GDP. (Photo by Mladen Antonov / AFP)

Many Thais have developed a habit of checking the air quality index daily so they can take steps to protect themselves against lung-busting PM2.5 dust. However, the quest for clean air and easy breathing is costing them up to Bt1.67 billion per year in masks and medical expenses.

And this trend shows no sign of blowing over. Most citizens as well as experts reckon the Thai government is doing little or nothing to clean up the air.

“People may think the National Environment Board [NEB] has the power to order relevant parties to fight smog, but in reality, it’s a paper tiger,” said Dr. Sonthi Kitchawat, an environmental and health academic.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/all-choking-aside-is-thailand-making-progress-in-battle-with-air-pollution/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

It’s not only the farmers and old diesel trucks. Nobody wants to listen to any advice. Department of Land and Transportation is burning the grasslands between the tarmac on major roads. Temples, Army etc are cleaning up and burn the leaves and whatever they find worth burning. No garbage collection in most villages upcountry so the guys are forced to burn their plastic waste and so on…it’s just the time of the year that the smog does not get dispersed over other areas. It just stays where it originated.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It's been raining every night in Chiang Mai so no air pollution at all.

I can't remember it every raining like this in January before.

Very strange, the air should be choking me by now.

Called the Mango rains I believe.

But yes, very refreshing. Although whilst on the golf course this morning in the drizzle could still see 3 plumes of smoke just below the mountains.

Really?? It must be your British touch. Where we live it has rained only twice in January, once lightly a few days ago and a big one yesterday. We usually see quite a few smoke plumes around us from our high balcony in January, so far almost none. Let's hope it keeps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think they need many more committees to solve the problem. 

Each committee member to be issued with a fire extinguisher which is designed to give them a clue as to where the root of the problem may be.

Further committees need to be formed to decide where to buy the extinguishers from.

etc etc.

Yes; and the Fire Extinguishers have to be bought from the 'right' people; relatives and friends of Government Ministers and the like, most likely 'connected' to the Committee Members themselves !

According to my notes the last rain we had like this in Chiang Mai in January was 2008.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forrests Father said:

It’s not only the farmers and old diesel trucks. Nobody wants to listen to any advice. Department of Land and Transportation is burning the grasslands between the tarmac on major roads. Temples, Army etc are cleaning up and burn the leaves and whatever they find worth burning. No garbage collection in most villages upcountry so the guys are forced to burn their plastic waste and so on…it’s just the time of the year that the smog does not get dispersed over other areas. It just stays where it originated.

Agree with you to a certain extent.   However; Many Villages have been offered Bin Men to collect once a week but it will cost each family 50 Baht a month and countless times they have refused to pay.  It's high time they were told if they don't pay they will be fined for every Bonfire, as a Community, or the Government has to decide to give the service free.  When you look around the Countryside and see the filth i think the latter idea would be best, a much better idea than buying useless Submarines, High Speed Trains and Vertical Take-Off Military Aircraft !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Yes; and the Fire Extinguishers have to be bought from the 'right' people; relatives and friends of Government Ministers and the like, most likely 'connected' to the Committee Members themselves !

Do you really think it works differently elsewhere. I can categorically assure the same corruption exits in the UK with the governing classes enriching each other. The latest bent contract scandals concerned PPE.

The air has been very clean up north here in Chiang Rai so far, with excellent visibility allowing yo to see the spectacular views from the mountaintops.

Seasonal burning in Myanmar (the main source of our smoke) and Thailand has been delayed due to wetter conditions, and the NASA fire map compared to last year shows it.

Here is the NASA site link: 

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:2021-01-16..2021-01-17;l:noaa20-viirs,viirs,modis_a,modis_t,countries;@99.0,19.4,8z

Last year vs this year:

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.44.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.43.33 PM.jpg

Sugar cane burning has been outlawed where I live in Central Thailand. Factory won't accept cane which has been burned before harvest. They're using this mechanical harvester which chops the cane into foot long lengths, and shreds the leaves into a fine mulch. A member of the work crew told me it wasn't necessary to burn the debris left in the field (not sure if that was 100% true), but absolutely no sugar cane burning burning. Very noticeable improvement in air quality. The sky is circa 1950's blue.

Edited by Gecko123

2 hours ago, Gold Star said:

The air has been very clean up north here in Chiang Rai so far, with excellent visibility allowing yo to see the spectacular views from the mountaintops.

Seasonal burning in Myanmar (the main source of our smoke) and Thailand has been delayed due to wetter conditions, and the NASA fire map compared to last year shows it.

Here is the NASA site link: 

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:2021-01-16..2021-01-17;l:noaa20-viirs,viirs,modis_a,modis_t,countries;@99.0,19.4,8z

Last year vs this year:

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.44.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.43.33 PM.jpg

That explains a lot possibly. Here is the ESE the air this year is as good as we can recall in years (touch wood)...hope it continues