Not a lot of croc: crocodile meat is edible when it’s cooked well

snoop1130

2-1.png

Food vendors and consumers have been hard hit by the escalating prices of chicken, eggs, and pork in particular, the latter has doubled in price since last year. It’s a situation that calls for some innovative ideas, and owners of crocodile farms have risen to the occasion by promoting the reptile’s meat as a cheaper alternative.

While a croc might be unappetizing to some, the health authorities are reassuring, saying it’s fine for people to consume the meat when it’s handled and cooked properly. Indeed, gourmets will tell you cuts from the tail and fillet as well as the penis are tasty.

A good source of protein that is low in calories and fat

Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, chief of the Department of Health, says crocodile meat can be an alternative protein source when pork is expensive but advises people to remain vigilant when handling and cooking.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/not-a-lot-of-croc-crocodile-meat-is-edible-when-its-cooked-well/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-20

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Seen it for sale in street markets in Pattaya, and locally  in Kanchanaburi. You don't see many Thai people buying it... I have eaten it in Australia - tastes like chicken! ???? 

• Like 1

I've also eaten alligator in the U.S., in Texas and Louisiana. Tasted fine, probably comparable to chicken, although a bit chewier. Certainly have no objection to it nor do I find anything disgusting about it. It's a fine addition to the diet but certainly wouldn't replace pork with it.

• Like 1

I've had it in a few restaurants in my area.  Tasted fine, of course with lots of spices too.

At the night market in Chiangmai there was a lady selling it on skewers.  She also was selling scorpions on skewers.  But it tasted good.  I would buy it again.

• Like 1

Crocodile meat tends to taste like the food the animal consumes. Most from the farms are fed chicken. Wild animals would be a darker meat and a lot gamier. 

I've eaten it in Darwin and in Perth, where at one time you could buy it at Coles supermarket.

(I fed it to my parents once and told them what it was later!  They weren't impressed. Made up for all the offal and rabbit they used to feed me as a child.)

• Like 1

I have had crocodile in three different countries, and alligator in New Orleans, with a wide range of impressions. Alligator was dark and oily, while crocodile was light and white. But the frozen croc bought here in Khonkaen Big C was very tough, while the restaurant meat I ate in Australia and Taiwan was delightfully tender. I suspect this difference was related to the age of the animal.

• Like 1

Tried it once in Dallas TX guess wasn’t overly impressed.. mighta been the steak and ribs...

gourmets will tell you cuts from the tail and fillet.....as well as the penis are tasty.... errr screaxh say what.. a bit of Friday humor 555.. kinda

Once in China while at dinner with a customer...  the customer as usual orders all sorts of things.. 

Soup was first served... took a little taste of the broth it was nasty leaned over to my Chinese business partner asked what it that is horrible... dog dick soup...<deleted>.. true story..

"gourmets will tell you cuts from the tail and fillet as well as the penis are tasty."

There is  high demand for the later part; but due covid restrictions and non existent nightlife the supply is  running low....- according to Pattaya "experts"

Edited by tingtong