why obesity is not a choice (i disagree partly)

robblok

On 1/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, Pravda said:

My absolute favorite about choice is when some rich American goes on and on about his hard work as if that's the only thing that made him rich and not the about actual opportunities that helped him get rich. 

Fortunately that would never happen among Asians, Euros, Latinos, Brits (inherited to House of Lords), certainly not Russians. 

Fat people stop making these excuses for yourselves.

You are fat because you eat too much.  That is all it is. 

If you don't like being fat stop eating so much food and do some exercise. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2022 at 11:07 PM, KhunLA said:

Everything is about choice, and you live or die by the ones you make, chose.  Unless a medical condition, all excuses are BS.  

i think that just about sums it up .    short and to the point 

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Fat people stop making these excuses for yourselves.

You are fat because you eat too much.  That is all it is. 

If you don't like being fat stop eating so much food and do some exercise. 

Not really usually high sugar

Never met a fat person that wasnt high sugar

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Berb good for acne says Dr Berg

No idea, never had acne. But scientific studies have shown that berberine yields the same result as the anti diabetic medicine metformin. So it helps curbing insulin spikes. 

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Not really usually high sugar

Never met a fat person that wasnt high sugar

I'm enough of a wingnut that I think food companies are putting stuff in their processed food that makes people crave more.  It may be as simple as sugar, or high fructose corn sweetener.  But I suspect it's also one of those multisyllable chemicals like potassium disorbate.

Got a real eye opening after my bypass when they had me on the treadmill for rehab. An hour on the treadmill only burned up the calories of a small order of fries.  I'd have to be on the belt for hours and hours to offset that double meat burger that came with the fries.  Exercise makes me feel better, but diet is the key to me losing weight.

My favorite exercises in BKK were renting a canoe at Q Sirikit or Lumpini Park for upper body and riding a bike for lower body.  Running was too hard on my knees and hip, and gyms were boring.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:47 AM, robblok said:

I largely agree with you, i feel education and poverty are good excuses too. There are so many diets (fad diets) and tricks shops use to make us buy stuff that is bad plus healthy food is more expensive then fast food.

But i posted this topic because some people said being fat is not a choice. While it might not be a conscious choice it still is a choice in a way.

I got (fat (developed a bit of a belly) because of covid, its gone now next step is a 6 pack (though that has always been a hard thing to do for me at least the lower part). Giving myself 2-3 months to get there. Probably will involve a lot of patience sticking to the right foods and more cardio then now.

Though anyone who knows anything about dieting knows its like 80% diet and 20% exercise (when i say diet im talking about changes to how you eat not per say a fat diet ect but just a meal plan or a way of eating). For me that is no processed foods, and hardest of all (no sugary drinks).

Most people I know who is fat but healthy, and also complaining about being to fat have a eating problem. They have no dicipline what so ever to do something about it, but they are also aware of why they are fat, but enjoy their food and drinks to much, and will not do anything about it, before they get health problems, and have to.

I have been back home for 2 weeks, and already gained 4 kg, and I know I will spend 4 weeks to get it off again, maybe 5 with strict diet and hard work.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm enough of a wingnut that I think food companies are putting stuff in their processed food that makes people crave more.  It may be as simple as sugar, or high fructose corn sweetener.  But I suspect it's also one of those multisyllable chemicals like potassium disorbate.

Got a real eye opening after my bypass when they had me on the treadmill for rehab. An hour on the treadmill only burned up the calories of a small order of fries.  I'd have to be on the belt for hours and hours to offset that double meat burger that came with the fries.  Exercise makes me feel better, but diet is the key to me losing weight.

My favorite exercises in BKK were renting a canoe at Q Sirikit or Lumpini Park for upper body and riding a bike for lower body.  Running was too hard on my knees and hip, and gyms were boring.

Of course food companies research what makes people eat more. Its all in their strategy once you prepare your own food and don't go for too much processed food things change. 

Exercise burns only a lil bit of fat but for you bypass and heart health exercise is great. However you have to find what you like. 

You said about diet is what make you lose weight.. exercise makes you feel better.. for me it also helps me stick to my diet better.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course food companies research what makes people eat more. Its all in their strategy once you prepare your own food and don't go for too much processed food things change. 

But there's a huge difference between tweaking Granny's brownie recipe to make them more chocolaty, and adding hashish to the mix.  Hash brownies just aren't fair to someone who needs to lose weight.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

But there's a huge difference between tweaking Granny's brownie recipe to make them more chocolaty, and adding hashish to the mix.  Hash brownies just aren't fair to someone who needs to lose weight.

What is wrong with space cake.. you barbarian ????

Anyway most of the producers who do this kind of <deleted> are KFC. Lays, Mc Donalds. Not really shining examples of healthy foods. You can read online about it how certain things helps them to combine certain flavors and drinks. 

Its unfair but then again, its easy not to visit these places. People should not be eating that stuff if they want to lose weight. Maybe if you eat healthy and stay on a certain weight you can go there once in a while but while losing weight you should stay away.

But i still see obesity as a choice. This time i dropped more weight then ever. Wanted to get into the beachbody lean look. That is really low in bodyweight. I learned from my last mistakes. Made changes and it worked. Never been so lean. (there is a difference between not fat and lean a huge one)

But point is i came to realise for instance i could never drink sweet drinks again. Banned some other stuff permanently too and did a bit more cardio and voila weight come down more then ever. So it really is a choice a choice of not eating certain stuff ever again. If you don't want to or don't find weight loss important enough. That is fair but that just confirms its a choice a choice in how far your willing to go.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

But point is i came to realise for instance i could never drink sweet drinks again.

Sweet drinks are a perfect example.  Caffeine is added, not as a flavor enhancement, but as a feel good reward for drinking them.  In fact, Coca Cola originally came with cocaine, before it was outlawed.  Even with just caffeine, a lot of people get headaches if they quit cold turkey (I do).  

Sure, it's a choice.   But the bustards do everything they can to make that a hard choice for a lot of people.  And they're sneaky about it.  In 20 years or so, it'll go just like the tobacco industry where whistleblowers will spill their dirty secrets.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Sweet drinks are a perfect example.  Caffeine is added, not as a flavor enhancement, but as a feel good reward for drinking them.  In fact, Coca Cola originally came with cocaine, before it was outlawed.  Even with just caffeine, a lot of people get headaches if they quit cold turkey (I do).  

Sure, it's a choice.   But the bustards do everything they can to make that a hard choice for a lot of people.  And they're sneaky about it.

But you won't hear me saying its all easy as its not. However it can be done by everyone (unless having some kind of illness). 

Its just a matter of priorities and what your willing to give up / do. 

I feel that always saying how hard it is and how its ok to be fat sets people up to fail. Then again you have to set realistic expectations. But I seen quite  a few people succeed and yes they put a lot in it. Most people that i see fail or just not willing or able to change. 

My SIL has given up. Not that is fat but wanted to lose some weight. But is quite hard to do if you have kids and you like baking. She can't really make stuff for herself and not eat the cake she makes. So she chooses for this life. But is just shows how it is a choice. 

But not an easy choice.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, robblok said:

Poverty is a great excuse, but lets talk about foreigners living in Thailand for them it certainly is a choice. I totally agree about poor people as bad food is cheaper as healthy food. No argument from me on that point. (that is why i made that point in the OP)

BS.

We get fat because we have more income than ever before. Even the "poor" village kids are drinking a bottle of coke a day. And the guys having their daily beer. The rich have Starbucks and McDonald's.

Even the poor have more money than ever before. Waistlines increase with cash in the pocket. I think only Japan has defied this trend.

It ain't about healthy food either. Most cuisine has not changed in decades, it's all the snacking we do now.

Back in the 70s most were slim in the West (compared to now). Did they have access to better health foods? No. They ate cornflakes for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and meat n two veg for dinner.

And that's it: portion control, calorie control, no much snacking, be hungry for your meals.

They didn't have all the fruits n veggies, and healthy oils in their diet that are available to us now. They just ate mediocre food sensibly. Probably moved more too.

Edited by 2009