Brit 'tourist' murdered by scythe in Kanchanaburi - friend in hospital - loud music blamed

webfact

14 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It looks like an everyday, ordinary sort of a place, in everday ordinary provincial Thailand, inhabitated by everyday, ordinary sorts of Thai people.

Me being an everyday, ordinary sort of bloke......I think it'd do me just fine.

The units are owned by one of the local hotels. I would guess about 16-20 in total in the locale, 95% rented by expats of all nations

• Like 2

It's YABBA which fuels most of this sudden adrenaline-charged Jason Voorhees-style violence.

Meth. Speed. Crank.

The bargirls & even some of the Westerners use Ice but the Thai laborer's drug of choice is the old crazy pill.

They supplement it with whiskey which makes them even crazier.

But hey, his comedown is probably pretty awful.  He is sobering with the realization he got high & cut off someone's head.

Any Westerner who ever lived cheap wwill tell you 50% of these rash bursts of crazy violence or homicides are meth-induced..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Usually it is the local Thais blasting music at crazy volume, and we are being driven crazy. 

Wonder if the guy asked them to turn the music down first? Always remember. Never say no to an insane man wielding a blade. 

Is this indicative of more happiness, that ChaCha is bringing to his people? 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

More to do with the justice system IMHO.

In the UK you would be caught and jailed for a long time.

In Thailand there's a good chance of getting away with it or a minor sentence.

Not the justice system, the health system. The UK is an older society but not that much, when I was young the mentally ill were usually called the village idiot but violence in one form or another was not uncommon. Guy I used to work with had his 14 year old son committed for continually beating up his mother.

Thailand still has a long way to go on the issue of mental health which is fairly widespread, and something that foreigners need to bear in mind for their own safety.

Some years ago just after I got married went out for a short walk with my wife. We turned a corner and this lad probably late teens come charging toward us waving a bamboo pole that had a meat clever tied to the end. My wife ran forward and put her hand up and he stopped in his tracks, hate to think what could have happened if he had come from behind.

Turned out he was a neighbour with mental issues and was trying to protect my wife from the evil falang, not an uncommon perception among the Thais in that area at the time. His parents would lock him out when they were out and often saw him wandering the roads with some form of weapon, he sometimes came to the house looking for food, but never a problem again. Family moved away a few years back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but the response should be to politely go over and ask the guys to turn the music down a bit .

Not going over there and killing them 

Of course, that is why I am asking was there loud music. Seems there was. Yes normal people ask to tone it down. But the fact that this guy had mental issues does not mean he did not ask that first. I am just asking for a bit more information.

I mean playing loud music can tick a lot of people off and normally people ask, for someone to turn it down. I just wondered if that happened or not. Because it stated in the article that people were annoyed. So it happened without a warning, that is bad. I dislike it when people farang or Thai play loud music and don't respond if you ask them to turn it down. 

But as i said it did not justify this barbaric attack but if he was asked to tone it down did not then it still not justifies it but makes the person a bit to blame too. I was not there im just enquiring.

• Like 2

Thailand is a very safe country but if you really want trouble you can find it. These two Brits antagonised the locals and broke the law and sadly suffered the consequences. If they'd just stopped at 9pm as required by law nothing would have happened. Let it be a lesson. Behave yourself when in a foreign country. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonypattaya said:

I can empathise with the offender who nerves were taken to extremities.

So could I, until I read this... 

This is simply cold blooded murder by a ‘crazy’ who should not have remained unsupervised or uncontrolled. 

It leads to the question - how much noise were the guys making, was there any loud music at all ? or were they just drinking and talking etc...  Were they even a disturbance or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time with a total nutcase nearby ????

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

The killer had known mental health issues as stated and should not have been at large. Have you never had Thai neighbours playing music at night?? No warning he just came strait out and attacked them.????????

• Like 2

If the playing of music into the early morning hours was done out of malice perhaps in retaliation for earlier noise infractions by their neighbors, or because, as old hands in country, they felt they had earned the right to on occasion to be inconsiderate of their neighbors, that obviously proved to be a terrible miscalculation. It is tragic that a late-night noise complaint escalated into such a bloodbath, and I send my condolences to the family and friends.

Edited by Gecko123

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What more is there to say here...

Guys drinking with music, 3am.... 

Neighbour has enough attacks the group. 

This story has been repeated numerous times in Thailand, it usually ends up with gun-shots.

------

The guys drinking were certainly inconsiderate of those around them, but no one deserved to die or to be on the wrong end of a grievous attack. 

This is what happens when you lockdown Party-towns and night-time places like Pataya or Bangkok. Tourists hang out in boring places like Kanchanaburi, nothing to do after 8 pm, sitting in front of their rooms drinking for endless hours. No Bars around, no girls to meet. Just wasting time and annoying others. Until.... R.I.P.

21 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

why single out thailand? for example, there are around 14,000 gun deaths a year in the usa,

Per head of population Thailand worse.

Thailand has the highest rate of gun-related deaths in Asia, and twice as many as the United States, according to new data. A study conducted by academics at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health and Metric Evaluation shows that in 2013 there were 7.48 deaths by shooting per 100,000 people in Thailand. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonypattaya said:

Continuous disturbed sleep cause by non-caring selfish individuals can lead to extreme actions. by those who are inflicted by it. 
Near to my condo I had regular experiences and whilst i am saddened by this dreadful taking of a life I can empathise with the offender who nerves were taken to extremities.

I very much doubt that the victims were there every night playing music and its most likely that this was a one off and wasn't a prolonged disturbance , just a one night sound

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

I suspect the attitude towards foreigners leads some Thais to believe that they can treat foreigners worse than they would treat a fellow Thai, with impunity.

I suspect mileage may vary.....   while some in some area Thai’s may feel an excessive level of disregard for foreigners in general due to the behaviour of some foreigners in those areas lending to a shorter fuse and sometimes the attitude of ‘looking for trouble’... the opposite also applies whereby foreigners who are behaving poorly are ‘given a pass’ because it is not expected that they know the ‘local etiquette’ and when trouble occurs there may be a greater degree of attention than a Thai on Thai conflict. 

Swings and roundabouts I reckon.... 

• Like 1