Why do Thai's drink water that tastes like plastic?

Don Chance

I can understand why Thais drink bottled water if their own tap water is not good or healthy,

but i seriously don't understand those people that buy bottled water,

in their own countries that has excellent water directly from the tap.

In most parts of Thailand, you are running a risk to drink the tap water, unless you have filtered it

through a Brita or equivalent filter system.  My Thai family all use bottled water, in Bangkok.

I even brush my teeth and use bottled water to rinse out my mouth.  In London England you also

do not drink the tap water, unless you really want to be sick.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 PM, 2long said:

A lot of them are conned into buying those stupid Amway filters. That stuff tastes like a granny's minge!

Well we have an Amway filter and l, like many on this site, are actually married to a granny.

I don’t know which granny’s you have been spending time with or where you picked them up but ………………..and I’m quite surprised at your tasteless comment ????

Edited by PFMills
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:55 PM, Captain Monday said:

Used to love the :taste" from these kind of bottles. Don't seem to encounter them anymore.

waterbottle.jpg

That is the "village bottled" stuff. Tap water through 3 filter towers & a UV light. The seal caps get bashed on with a wooden mallet.

I have been here a long time.  I remember years ago the Phuket Gazzette had a question and answer section where someone could post a question to a government official.

One expat asked if the white plastic water bottles were a health risk.

The relevant government officer replied quite simply.... Yes.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, Norvabc said:

What a racist comment 

He was being facetious.  He is right, of course, because i am getting the water free as part the monthly rent. I realized it is full of plastic and undrinkable. I thought to mention it and explain that it is unhealthy and they should try and source water from a PET jugs instead. But thought better of it. No explaining or discussing anything with a farang. They would be offended and perhaps even refuse to rent to me next month.  I already mention the sketchy internet connection and got an angry look, "if you don't like it you can leave."

The water I get delivered does not taste of plastic ... because it's in glass bottles ,

been drinking it for 20 years plus and never had a bad bottle,  Via Glacier water

56 Thb for a crate of 24 x 500 cc , if it was all profit how can they do it.

regards worgeordie

16 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The water I get delivered does not taste of plastic ... because it's in glass bottles ,

been drinking it for 20 years plus and never had a bad bottle,  Via Glacier water

56 Thb for a crate of 24 x 500 cc , if it was all profit how can they do it.

regards worgeordie

That's expensive, i get the 20litre bottles ( for water dispensers ) for 16 baht per bottle - delivered.

I don't know how he makes a profit??

11 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

That's expensive, i get the 20litre bottles ( for water dispensers ) for 16 baht per bottle - delivered.

I don't know how he makes a profit??

The large plastic bottles ?, I would rather pay a bit more for

convince of glass bottles I can put straight  in the fridge, the

water is Ozonated and filtered  then bottled. expensive ? 

regards Worgeordie

On 1/31/2022 at 5:20 PM, bbko said:

If the water tastes bad, time to find a new source or spend a couple of extra baht and get quality over quantity.

Exactly. My Thai lady buys ONLY “Minere” brand, which we use for drinking & cooking ,saying all others have bad taste or contamination risk. Sometimes treat myself to San Peligrino spring water or their Grapefruit sodas. Thais as usual have little concept of the importance of high quality drinking water, they generally think water is water and just buy the cheapest.

Right , get a badly installed water filter and flood your house when the freakin’ flimsy 10mm hose connection breaks at night or better still the various filters between your stomach and the reservoir black water Don’t Work ! ????Not everybody here has Govt or well water.????
Bottled Water so bloody cheap here Nobody but the desperately poor should be drinking tap water …….????