Why do Thai's drink water that tastes like plastic?

Don Chance

Because it comes in plastic bottles - duh! 

It’s the same in Germany, if you buy the cheap <deleted> water in plastic bottles from Aldi or Lidl the water tastes a bit like plastic. 

At least here in Germany I can buy water in glass bottles, which is 

probably not the case in Thailand unless you go for the really expensive 200ml Evian bottles. 

Edited by pacovl46
Typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Because it comes in plastic bottles - duh! 

It’s the same in Germany, if you buy the cheap <deleted> water in plastic bottles from Aldi or Lidl the water tastes a bit like plastic. 

At least here in Germany I can buy water in glass bottles, which is 

probably not the case in Thailand unless you go for the really expensive 200ml Evian bottles. 

You can get Perrier 1l bottles here in different super markets

Edited by JustAnotherHun

23 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They don't  seem to trust their public water  supply. In Lisbon  the water used to taste so strongly of chlorine we couldn't cook with it or use it for tea or coffee.

That's what I do with tap water here in Thailand. After 34 years I'm still here. My pipes may need descaling occasionally. but a few gin and tonics takes care of that.????

27 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Buy it from a busy place, the turn-around means that the water isn't in the bottle for long, so it doesn't have time to get the plastic taste.  That's my theory anyway.

We fill our own containers from the water vending machine. The water is passed by the owner. It's a bit salty sometimes.????

On 1/31/2022 at 4:43 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Do what the Thais do, just add some whiskey to it to take the taste away.

... and/or clean the bottle with a little vinegar in the sluice water or a little bleach, but well rinsed out of course.

I somehow doubt these bottles get a good cleaning at the filling station.

15 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Are their options?

We do have a water filter, but for cold water we put it in a plastic water bottle... I think I missed the opportunity to die young... 

We have a good quality water filter fitted at the corner of the kitchen sink. Son changes the cartridges regularly.

Every evening after dinner my 3 granddaughters have to clean the empty 1 litre bottles sitting at the side, then fill them and in the fridge. It's a poduction line, when it works well their father gives them a reward - a bottle of fresh chilled milk. They're happy. 

Plus every evening when the kids go upstairs to go to bed they have to put a fresh bottle of water on their mothers bedside table. Like many folks she has a drink of water several times through the night.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

Back when I worked in S Korea in the mid 80's the locals used to boil the water and add a very mild tea, they said that indicated the water had been boiled. tasted better and is safe to drink.  Must of been before the bottle water craze started.

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Which provokes the question of what your granny may taste like and how do you know? 

Provokes the question why do many readers have to google some archaic British word when there are a dozen more modern vernacular English words for the same thing?. Time to upgrade the vocabulary. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

The white plastic is not food grade. Even in Nepal they have PET refillable bottles.  I have even found worms swimming in the plastic jugs on the table that was filled with the big white 20l jugs.

If you smell the white plastic jug you will smell plastic. It is no brained not use these.

No idea what you are talking about. Taste of bottled water varies all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Don't know what the OP means; I drink this sort of water every day for 12 years, everybody here drinks it, nobody is sick and I don't think it smells plastic : it's smell ... nothing, just the same taste I smelt in my home country :

for about three months, 20 liters bottles have changed, they are stronger than before, I think if they fall down, they not break like before ( yes, these bottles could break like glass , two times in my case ) 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

You can get Perrier 1l bottles here in different super markets

At what price? My wife dutifully refills our recyled PET six litre bottles at the village RO water facility, which is well maintained. I notice no objectionable taste.

Personally I use tap water to make coffee, boil spaghetti, etc. A little high in sodium just now due to brakish backwash, but no real health concerns that I am aware of.

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Provokes the question why do many readers have to google some archaic British word when there are a dozen more modern vernacular English words for the same thing?. Time to upgrade the vocabulary. 

You're just being mingy.????

• Haha 1