Policy change to Non Imm O-A (Long stay) ‘retirement visa’ allows foreigners to self insure

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

What these people don't seem to understand is that those making rational decisions on where and how to retire cant do that on constantly changing requirements. People coming in on one set of rules need to . at the very least. have these rules grandfathered in. 

I don't understand why they can not device a fair system where long term residence can buy into the Thai national health care system, as many countries do, then if said expat desires additional insurance he/she can purchase supplemental insurance in the private sector .

A win win situation for both the Thai system that has another stream of income, and the expat that has a minimal health care safety net. 

Nothing has changed with the normal non-immigrant type-O visa and the annual extensions based on retirement.

The O-A type visa are for the those that apply for a one year stay from abroad, and keep their savings abroad instead of in a Thai bank deposit or showing month income transferred into Thailand. The self-insurance is just a wished for extra benefit for those that have difficulties in obtaining a heath insurance for various reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Again I think there's a method to the madness of the new rules. We simply call them (Immigration) stupid but are they?? They know the more crazy they make getting a visa the more apt we are to use an "Agent"

Hands up how many immigration officers have an agent as a brother-in-law?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

That is quite an interesting development. However, the main question now is, how do foreigners show that they have 3 million in assets? From the article:

"documents demonstrating properties, bank deposit, health insurance or others whose coverage shall not less than 3 million THB in total in accordance with the criteria prescribed by the Immigration Bureau."

How do you value houses that officially are in your wife's name, or in a company name, or where you have leases? I am lucky to have health insurance, but nevertheless, the issue is interesting for me too.

The3 million baht refers to the inpatient insurance cover and has nothing to do with property or money in bank.

• Confused 2

When I lived and worked in Thailand for 6 years (with a bonafide Thai Limited Co and work permit), I had several million in THB in a Thai bank with the main reason that if I needed extensive medical care for whatever reason, I had the juice to pay for it. I also had a substantial amount in overseas bank accounts if the THB funds ran dry. If one desires to live overseas, I believe one must be set up to weather the storms life tends to throw at us and not become a financial burden to someone else or another country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

That is exactly what I am talking about... how do they value my assets... and yes, a crypto wallet IS an asset, at least according to the tax authorities who have no whatsoever problem to assign a value to every single asset I have... the question is, does immigration do the same or not. 

Probably like I posted in the first sentence of the post you just quoted.

I gave up on the bold-italic-underlined bit:

3) In the case of risk groups who are totally or partially denied insurance purchase by the company, they shall have additional documents as follows: (1) the letter of denial [(1.1) if the denial is issued in Thailand, follow the criteria, but (2) if it is done in foreign countries, coordinate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant’s country to sign the notary by the authorised person] (2) documents demonstrating properties, bank deposit, health insurance or others whose coverage shall not less than 3 million THB in total in accordance with the criteria prescribed by the Immigration Bureau.

The UK Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office. As the majority of civil servants in the UK don't want to go back to the office and want to keep working at home I wonder what the chances are of raising one to "coordinate with to sign the notary by the authorised person" -- whatever that means?

My wife is Thai and we own property in CM.  My chances of obtaining ordinary travel insurance (78 this year with early but treatable cancer) are pretty dismal/expensive/impossible.  We spend money when we return to the L-of-S but we won't be returning -- in a hurry!

I fail to comprehend this?

Non o-a visa holders now need to show either health insurance cover for a minimum of 3,000,000 baht, or proof of assets of a minimum 3,000,000 baht. Yes?

Non o visa holders only need to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

I fear that this is only a pre cursor, and that all retirement visas will soon need the 3,000,000 baht, either health insurance, or assets?

With the cheapest 3,000,000 baht health insurance that I have been quoted being 120,000 baht per year, that is beyond a lot of people's budget!

Time to jump ship before my next non o extension, because I am convinced that we are next!

One only has to read the banter, that Thailand only want rich foreigners, to realise that those of us who have been unlucky in life, and not have 3,000,000 baht lying around, are not welcome here!

The Philippines here I come! Only need to deposit 300,000 baht in the Philippines government bank account (with pension income), or 600,000 baht with no pension income! And no stupid 90 day reporting!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

What these people don't seem to understand is that those making rational decisions on where and how to retire cant do that on constantly changing requirements. People coming in on one set of rules need to . at the very least. have these rules grandfathered in. 

I don't understand why they can not device a fair system where long term residence can buy into the Thai national health care system, as many countries do, then if said expat desires additional insurance he/she can purchase supplemental insurance in the private sector .

A win win situation for both the Thai system that has another stream of income, and the expat that has a minimal health care safety net. 

Right but what is fair, i mean if your an older foreigner you are probably going to cost the Thai taxpayer a lot of money. So what is a fair buyin ? 100k 200k 500k ? 

Just remember in your most productive years with least disease you did not pay a thing, and now when your old when your going to need it you buy in. So the buy in might be a lot higher then you think. 

But i understand the idea and would not be opposed to it. But like i said what is a fair buyin. 

Edited by robblok
  • Thanks 1

[quote]

How do you value houses that officially are in your wife's name, or in a company name, or where you have leases? 

[/quote]

Well, then they are not your houses!!  They are owned by your wife or a company, or you only lease them.  Same as in any other country ????

11 hours ago, USNret said:

Must these assets be in Thailand? Can they be overseas? Considering that many O-A applicants don’t yet have a Thai bank account, showing the assets in Thailand can be problematic when you visit a Thai embassy overseas. 

MY guess is if you want a subsequent extension, it must be in Thailand. If you want the visa, it should be in the country where you get your visa (generally your home country).

4 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

have a house or condo and will presumably use that as collateral.

I only know in The USA, a house or condo is almost like cash and and lenders are willing to offer cash as loan in a very short period (sometimes in a week). I doubt a house or condo in Thailand is like cash and banks are willing to offer loan easily. 

It still makes me chuckle that, with or without the need for health insurance, they demand that you have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank every time you renew. There are countries out there (mainly in S. America) where proof of a lifetime pension of over $900 a month is all that is required to get a 2 year retirement visa with:

no 90 day reporting

the ability to get permanent residency after your 2nd renewal

the ability to  own land and property

Can't see, particularly as things stand at the moment, what makes Thailand feel it is worth so much more than those places.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Exactly. Whenever this issue comes up, there are always lots of posters here saying, "they should just let us join the social insurance system for 500 baht a month, problem solved".

I understand that most of them come from countries with socialized medicine where they've never seen a medical bill and have no idea what health care actually costs, and good for them if that's the case. But realistically, the cost of unsubsidized coverage for a cohort of people, all over age 50, with a variety of pre-existing conditions, who have never paid into the system during their young and healthy years, will be high - shockingly high to those who imagine it can be done for 500 baht per month. It can certainly be done, but it would come at a very high price.

I come from a country with socialized medicine, that does not mean I can't think or understand how the system works.

You pay in it during your working life and at first you pay more then your ever get from it then at some age that changes. Not in all cases of course but in general. That is how the system works basically. Though in general the young pay for the old as most of these systems were set up at a certain point without everyone having paid into it. 

I think a lot of people just don't have an accounting background, so they are not versed in stuff like this. Just like I am not versed in other stuff like all the technical stuff. Think most here are from a more hands on background. So its not so strange that most don't seem to understand. 

Im pretty sure that most Thais (and for good reason) would oppose for Thais shouldering the financial burden. They hardly give their own population a good healthcare system and now there would be extra cost. 

Can't blame them.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

A lot of people getting excited but this is mostly irrelevant as most people have non imm O visas so can already self insure so calm down

Good news.  I was not aware of that.  Could you expand please? Thanks.