Thai PM says if MPs want general election, they must attend parliament meetings

snoop1130

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Personally, he said, he wants the two organic bills to be passed quickly, but admitted that he is powerless to order the MPs to attend meetings,

but he does know some people with a fondness for uniforms and medals who may be able to do so…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An interesting threat: pass these laws if you want an election. And if not passed ... then what?

If they say the last election was valid, surely they could have another election without the new laws.

It's a pity I cannot say more, as I don't really know the effective thrust of the two "organic bills."

OK maybe the Brits on here can explain the way Thai and Brit government works.

In North America you elect 1 person to represent  you in your riding.  There are no other people appointed and others made part of the government.  

That person is solely responsible to his riding.

What is the reason for these party list people?

I hope that British history actually has a reason for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

OK maybe the Brits on here can explain the way Thai and Brit government works.

In North America you elect 1 person to represent  you in your riding.  There are no other people appointed and others made part of the government.  

That person is solely responsible to his riding.

What is the reason for these party list people?

I hope that British history actually has a reason for it

AFAIR in the UK there are only elected MPs and there are no party list MPs at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_Parliament_(United_Kingdom)

All MP positions become simultaneously vacant for elections held on a five-year cycle. The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 sets out that ordinary general elections are held on the first Thursday in May, every five years.[4] However, with approval from Parliament, both the 2017 and 2019 general elections were held earlier than the schedule set by the Act.

There is more in the link.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/whos-in-the-house-of-lords/members-and-their-roles/how-members-are-appointed/

The Appointments Commission recommends individuals for appointment as non-party-political life peers. It also vets nominations for all life peers, including those recommended by the UK political parties, to ensure the highest standards of propriety. Members can be suggested by the public and political parties. Once approved by the prime minister, appointments are formalised by the Queen.

There is more in the link.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, smedly said:

the people in Thailand want Democracy - they don't want elections and then people they never voted for running the country - THAT IS NOT DEMOCRACY 

You are going to find out soon what that means ....................they don't want you Payuth - Prawit - Anutin and the rest - I feel an implosion coming soon in Thailand, I hope all the unelected have a good exit plan - that is what I am feeling  

In the UK (where you come from) the plebs vote for MP's in their area (constituency). These elected MP's then elect the leader (PM), who in turn selects the Government.

So it would be true to say that the UK is run by people that the vast majority did not vote for.

Would you agree that THAT IS NOT DEMOCRACY (within a Monarchy)

Edited by Joe Farang
sic
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, RandiRona said:

spacer.png

What, he cant parade them in Parliament despite of big stick he carries?? Seems he is passed his use by date now, time for a new General to take over.

Sure. Why not. 

Don't really require any such parliamentary rule or elections of any sort, do we? All a bit of a rhetorical charade anyway, with little practical application

A comforting and timely coup would suffice nicely. 

Much less complicated to stay on history's side. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

In the UK (where you come from) the plebs vote for MP's in their area (constituency). These elected MP's then elect the leader (PM), who in turn selects the Government.

So it would be true to say that the UK is run by people that the vast majority did not vote for.

Would you agree that THAT IS NOT DEMOCRACY (within a Monarchy)

No it would not be true  The UK in s probably one of the most democratic and politically inclusive societies in the world. 

The PM wonders what kind of game they are playing. 

It is a total lack of fealty.

It is a show of civil disobedience.

It is a demonstration of how much they disapprove of you, Cha Cha.

It is likely a sign of how tired they are of listening to your nonsense, droning on, day after day, as if you knew what you were talking about, and as if you had the interests of the people at heart. You are the man largely  responsible for the decimation of the Thai economy, and the increasing irrelevance of Thailand, throughout the world. 

Don't you get it? The time has come to step down. Your time is over. You did promise a short term of power when you became PM. Forgot already? Did the power and money go right to your head? 

Any country in an emergency situation needs a leader that not only comes out strong but can also create confidence. A leader that can show empathy, and make sense of what is going on. Well, it is obvious we do not have that leader. Not even close. Not even a faint shadow of what the nation needs. In terms of showing empathy, is that something we have ever seen from this man? Any attempt rings hollow, as we have already seen that he is as out of touch as them come. A true Ivory tower sort of guy. 

Can't you see the extent to which you are despised? Your approval rating, in a real poll, would likely be down to 2% nationally, at this point. Get out. Get out now. 

WireAP_f2d5e865bde74bae9daa81a5434caea9_16x9_992.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:32 PM, RandiRona said:

spacer.png

What, he cant parade them in Parliament despite of big stick he carries?? Seems he is passed his use by date now, time for a new General to take over.

Do the people know what they got back for it? May be in this case its better to deal with the devil you know then the devil you dont know.

• Like 1

The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn't want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door, without causing any fuss or consequences, and then not stop running until I reached Dubai! 

There are things that we don’t want to happen but have to accept, things we don’t want to know but have to learn, and power we can’t live without but have to let go.

That sums it up Cha Cha. Time to exit, stage right. You are not liked. You are not wanted. You are not needed. Few approve of you. See ya! Get thee behind us!