China-made diesel locomotives handed over to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Off topic, posit most ire is aimed at their disgusting gov and the racist abuse towards the Tibetans, Uighur, etc etc. Now that’s something worth being emotive about isn’t it?

Yes, certainly.  But it has nothing to do with trains.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

If you saw the state of the trains that go from Ubon to BKK, you would think the Chinese gift were a WOW...The drivers will be very happy....????

"in a bid to achieve an even greater modernization of Thailand's railway system."   since the Imperial Japanese government donated so much .

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

Actually these are electric. The diesels are only used to drive generators that provide the electric, As far as I know there are no commercially  viable, battery operated trains. 

No they are not electric but diesel electric. Makes no difference because they are polluting like diesel trains so no gain here.

You're right about the battery operated trains but in first world countries they use overhead supply lines.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, seedy said:

Not surprised to see the EV Fanatics jump all over this.

As if overhead power lines get their 'juice' from fairy dust.

To further your education :

fanatic
  1. A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

Once I had the pleasure to join the engineer of the train in his "cockpit". It was only a 10 minute ride and being halfway the engineer when the train had reach speed switched of power and the train reached its destination without traction.

Not only that, the engineer pointed me a gauge showing in the same time the train was producing electricity and delivering to the net so no fairy dust needed.

And no I am not an EV Fananatic.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Well done, you found a picture of a bridge collapse from ten years ago.  That one was caused by the bridge operator allowing severely overloaded trucks to use it (way over design capacity).

How many US bridge collapses in the last ten years?  Many.  I remember one in Florida three years ago which killed several people.   And there was one in California a couple of years ago which collapsed due to an overloaded truck.

Not sure what your point is really.

Actually another just collapsed in Pittsburgh just 8 days ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/28/us/pittsburgh-bridge-collapse/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

No they are not electric but diesel electric. Makes no difference because they are polluting like diesel trains so no gain here.

You're right about the battery operated trains but in first world countries they use overhead supply lines.

A train who's propulsion  is provided by electric motors is an electric train.

There two choices  in providing electricity to those electric motors. One is to have it transmitted to the electric train via overhead wires or a third rail, and the other is to have it  either stored or generated in board, both these options have their challenges.

Overhead transmission requires a certain amount of infustracture that  either topography and or a country's economy might not make it technically and economically viable.  For many countries at their particular level of economic development and topographical challenges such as Thailand, on board electrical generation is the best option.

Several on board generation options have been considered, but given the possibility off a catastrophic accident as  it often happens with trains, diesel is so far the best option. 

Does Diesel pollute?

it does to an extend but not more than most of the pickup trucks all those in this forum that have an issue with this acquisition drive.  It is also worth to consider that remorse electric generation and transmission has a pollution component.    

I don't mean to be didactic, but  I hope the above explanation put's this issue to bed????  

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 6:58 AM, sirineou said:

Actually these are electric. The diesels are only used to drive generators that provide the electric, As far as I know there are no commercially  viable, battery operated trains. 

Poster couldn't figure out what "AC" meant.

Diesel/electric locomotives have been around for many years. I remember as a kid having a large cutaway diagram of the English Electric Deltic which first appeared in 1961 as the 'Class 55'. It is a very efficient way of transferring the energy from the rigidly mounted generator to the articulated bogies.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:07 AM, sirineou said:

Powerline delivery is  only a different mode of electric delivery. and requires a certain amount of ,infrastructure  with the associated maintenance and transmission loss problems.  that some might argue is more antiquated than  onboard  generation. 

I agree, electrification on much of Thailand's railways is not viable. Let's take the Bangkok-Udon Thani line. around 500kms, single track, narrow gauge and there are only 4 passenger trains each way per day (plus some freight trains)

The cost to electrify that line would be enormous, then there has to be the supply infrastructure to deliver the power which has to be 100% reliable of course. In Thailand? I was struggling to make toast this morning due to the low voltage!

I cannot see that there can possibly be an environmental or a cost benefit to such a project, just to run 8 trains per day.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Diesel/electric locomotives have been around for many years. I remember as a kid having a large cutaway diagram of the English Electric Deltic which first appeared in 1961 as the 'Class 55'. It is a very efficient way of transferring the energy from the rigidly mounted generator to the articulated bogies.

I agree, electrification on much of Thailand's railways is not viable. Let's take the Bangkok-Udon Thani line. around 500kms, single track, narrow gauge and there are only 4 passenger trains each way per day (plus some freight trains)

The cost to electrify that line would be enormous, then there has to be the supply infrastructure to deliver the power which has to be 100% reliable of course. In Thailand? I was struggling to make toast this morning due to the low voltage!

I cannot see that there can possibly be an environmental or a cost benefit to such a project, just to run 8 trains per day.

I could not have put it better. simple and to the point:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting how such topic can bring so many comments within few hours. Wondering whether some of the posters ever have taken ride on a Thai train?

Although the locomotives by the kind Chinese might be of a second-hand origin, why not, better than the current ones.

To equip the existing lines by an overhead power line feeding? The existing lines are over 100 years old, with narrow 1,000 mm gauge laying on not very rigid foundation, not much improvements made in last 50 years. All of this has to be completely changed. And there are surely some plans for it. Perhaps we will see it in our next life.

Thailand was always crazy on development of automobiles with all the infrastructure needed for it. And all that by neglecting railways systems. Not surprising, hadn't been done so similarly in other developed world? (not so in Europe).     

13 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Interesting how such topic can bring so many comments within few hours. Wondering whether some of the posters ever have taken ride on a Thai train?

Although the locomotives by the kind Chinese might be of a second-hand origin, why not, better than the current ones.

To equip the existing lines by an overhead power line feeding? The existing lines are over 100 years old, with narrow 1,000 mm gauge laying on not very rigid foundation, not much improvements made in last 50 years. All of this has to be completely changed. And there are surely some plans for it. Perhaps we will see it in our next life.

Thailand was always crazy on development of automobiles with all the infrastructure needed for it. And all that by neglecting railways systems. Not surprising, hadn't been done so similarly in other developed world? (not so in Europe).     

Agree with you, but just to point out that these 50 locomotives are brand new, not second hand.  And replacing units that were built in the mid 60's is definitely a good thing.  But so many posters here only ever have negative things to say.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, josephbloggs said:

Yawn.

CRRC is the world's largest train manufacturer.  They hardly make things out of scrap metal.

Take your anti Chinese racism elsewhere, it crops up in every thread of this kind and is extremely boring.

True. What the Chinese have done with rail is truly impressive. 23,000 KM of very high speed rail. However you feel about the CCP, it is the world's greatest rail system, by far. 

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. What the Chinese have done with rail is truly impressive. 23,000 KM of very high speed rail. However you feel about the CCP, it is the world's greatest rail system, by far. 

Yes indeed, and actually closer to 40,000kms now.  An interesting read:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/china-high-speed-rail-cmd/index.html

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bangon04 said:

perhaps they were going to be sold to Ukraine until Putin had a meeting with XI.

They could fit 2 of them side by side on Ukraine's broad gauge tracks. Their locomotives are monsters.

As far as I know there are no commercially  viable, battery operated trains. 

Not in Thailand, but in the UK, a two car battery driven train was introduced in April 1958 on the Deeside Line in Scotland between Aberdeen and Ballater. Many lead-acid batteries supplied the electricity and charging points were at both ends of the line. The service was withdrawn in 1966. (Wikipedia). In the photo, the batteries can be seen under each unit.

x63376.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JdbTL-bgZ_.webp

Today, the Japanese lead the world in battery/accumulator operated trains (Wikipedia):-

1280px-JR_East_EV-E801_G1_train_set_at_Oga_Station_20180526.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

They are new and apparently have the following specification:

* Diesel-electric locomotives with German-made engines

* Axel load 16 tonnes

* TP [Automatic Train Protection] brake system

* Compatible European Train Control System (ETCS) level 1

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011931

spacer.png

Edited by Morakot

Very interesting!

I am sure , a bit ahead of their  times technologically, , which is why it only lasted two years but I am sure there is a place for it in certain short route applications. Now with wireless charging it might become more of a thing. For instance for a commuter line there might be a wireless charging pad under every  station , if a train spend 3 min in every station and there were 20 stations a one hr charging event can be achieved 

Or a quick  battery swap a la Nio EV system in China. at every  terminal.