Thailand of yesteryear; Rooster reminisces as an antidote to all that boring news

webfact

In the 1980s I got caught on the 90 day exit tax at Dong Muang, near midnight.  After a five hour drive from Sattahip. No motorways then. At immigration I paid my bt500 for overstay and was then told to go to the tax office the next day. Fortunately my wife was still outside departures. She contacted her brother, a local top cop who arrived and persuaded them to fine me and let me go, just as my luggage was about to be off loaded. The officers had  added up my previous visits??? The mysteries and surprises of the Orient.? Those were the days.????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Australians used the word “pom”

Strange because it is actually spelt "pohm", for Prisoner Of Her Majesty."

I have fond memories of a sleazy bunch of bars between soi 20 and 22 with pool tables and cheap booze but that was the early 70's. It was opposite that hotel (was it called the Windsor, I can't remember) where all the septic non-coms etc... were put up.

• Haha 1

Yes, Right On !!! and Nice one Roster, and well put .... "The way things were" ??? .... Mostly. ... 

... And yes ... P. O. M. .... Prisoner of her Majesty, ... a slight at early Australians Really ??? .... and not originally at the British at all ??? ... I think ??? .... and well, not an Insult Really either .... Like "Aboriginal" ??? ... Just a technicality Really ??? .... Like we ALL know what A Real Insult is !!! ... And well I suspect ... knowing the last two ???/ That ... “ai hia, ai naa, ai sat, son teen” IS !!! ??? ... So thanks Mate, !!!! .... And until next week. ... and well yes Take Car ....

(... Though Ps. .... Benign and boring or not, most versions of CV 19 I think ? .... CAN kill old people ... AND those with Pre existing Weaknesses !!! ... And very fast also I am sure !!! ... Like while they are thinking about calling the ambulance ???? ....  ??? ... )

... Though well, being fully vaccinated, WILL probably save them though. ... Why I waited nearly another Full year, to get back here !!! ... apart from other miss planning, changes, and political opportunism, .... locking me in !!!  .... It WAS to get triple jabbed in the end !!! ... .... And now am even more certain that it was 100% the right think to do !!! ...  (And for my 90 Year old mother who I was staying with at the time, while trapped for nearly 2 Years also, like I now have to worry about her Much MUCH less !!! ??? Right ??? ... )

... I have Better not go on ... Free Now ... comparatively ... and well, Boordome now is mu only enemy !!! ??? Right ??? .... Not like the good old days, as you say !!! ... Right ???

Edited by Mark mark
added Right On !!!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, car720 said:

I have fond memories of a sleazy bunch of bars between soi 20 and 22 with pool tables and cheap booze but that was the early 70's. It was opposite that hotel (was it called the Windsor, I can't remember) where all the septic non-coms etc... were put up.

If it really meant prisoner of her majesty it would have to refer to aussies as non of the brits there are prisoners these days unless they have escaped

• Like 1

Remember Pattaya, the bus station was in soi 2, welcome inn in soi 3 and not much from there until Pattaya Klang. There was Tahitian Queen running, Daves GB bar on the front. Soi 6 not even dreamed of, walking street not thought of. Spinney's supermarket in soi Post Office, Friendship supermarkey between beach road and second road where it turns up before walking street. Tropical storm taking all the tarmac off that road and leaving it on the beach with all the broken boats from the bay and all the fallen trees. 5 tee shirts for 100 baht. Simon bar and Katoey show in south Pattaya and Soi BJ RIP.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

No mention of the heady days when a cheerful tuk tuk driver would load up his carriage with 5 or 6 passengers that had tumbled out of the Blue Fox on Soi Ngaam Duplee and for 15 baht take them all the way to Patpong.

Blue Fox was owned by a cop and was together with Thermea open on Buddha days. Nearby Malaysia hotel was also rocking, lots of girls there.

I first came to Thailand as a consultant to a manufacturing operation in Map Ta Phut in the late eighties. One night, the company president took 15 staff out to dinner at a live seafood restaurant, with me as the guest of honor. The beer flowed freely, as did the seafood cooked to order after selection from the tanks.

When I expressed some misgivings about the cost of the party, the company president said the total was AUD 75, or $5 per person.

I also was impressed by the beauty and grace of Thai women, and the fact quite a few seemed to be hooked up with Thai and Western men who, to put it politely, were a lot older and ugly as a hatful of bums to boot.

I think those two experiences planted the seeds for my eventual retirement in Thailand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, car720 said:

Of course it's not spelt "pohm"! And the word is actually "pommie".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

I don't think the synapses are properly connected. A short-circuit somewhere!

POM - "Prisoner of Her Majesty", that is where the Nick Name POM came from ... a straight out fact of History. ...

4 hours ago, SheikYabodyline said:

Yes, the first McDonalds was in Amarin Plaza (where it still is), and Thais, anxious to try this exotic new food experience, queued around the block when it first opened, despite the, for then, outrageous prices. It opened a little later than 1986 I think - maybe 1988 or 9? 

I remember in 1987 there was a McDonald’s on the ground floor of the Robinsons Department Store on the corner of Silom and Rama 4, across from the Dusit Thani hotel.

A couple other fast food chains I remember- Tom’s Quick and Hoburger.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I remember a couple of trips to Phuket, where I stayed at a small motel

called Friendship Bungalows, which were ran by a couple of cute Thai sisters. I stayed at the Dynasty and Nana Hotels 

near the Nana Plaza. The ride to Don Muang airport was 200 baht from Nana Hotel, and it was fun to walk

the sidewalk markets along Sukhumvit.  There was a row of bars along a railroad track between Sukhumvit and

Ploen Chit roads. People had to wear a tie to be able to enter the Oriental Hotel on the Chao Phraya  river.

Those were the good old days. Life seemed more exciting and interesting back then, and people were

more friendly and happy to see the tourists. Or maybe I was just green and never seen the true Thailand

back then.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dionigi said:

Remember Pattaya, the bus station was in soi 2, welcome inn in soi 3 and not much from there until Pattaya Klang. There was Tahitian Queen running, Daves GB bar on the front. Soi 6 not even dreamed of, walking street not thought of. Spinney's supermarket in soi Post Office, Friendship supermarkey between beach road and second road where it turns up before walking street. Tropical storm taking all the tarmac off that road and leaving it on the beach with all the broken boats from the bay and all the fallen trees. 5 tee shirts for 100 baht. Simon bar and Katoey show in south Pattaya and Soi BJ RIP.

My oh my, so many memories. Dave's GB Bar on the front with the guy in earphones putting up the football scores.