THAI looking to resume most routes by end of April, return to ‘normalcy’ by mid-year

webfact

8 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The time frame is far too fast I think.  Of course what the hell do I know or any one of us?  

Another airline just reinstated a destination after two years, announcing flight prices. I noticed that the price was about 4 times that of the similar flight, back before the pandemic, but I guess, this will normalise over time, adjusting for the higher kerosene prices.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

The wider issue here is for government to implement major training and education programmers to train some of the current and future generations in meaningful employment away from tourism sectors. Wonder if this current administration is capable of such challenges?

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

And a huge thank you Thai people for the massive injection of free money.....

Never made public and no-one fired....the scam flies on forever!!

Privatize the Profits; Socialize the Losses.

Another "public-private" partnership where taxpayers bail out corporations in a public to private wealth transfer.

Free markets people! Let them go under. They'll be replaced with a more efficient organizations.  Mussolini had a term for these 'public-private' partnerships.  It wasn't "Free Markets."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomyami said:

Oh good news, 12 yrs travelling 2/3 per year to europe I never even came close to using them when searching on skyscanner all ways behind at least 6 other airlines on price.

It was nice when they had a non-stop flight from BKK to LAX.  After that ended, so did my interest in THAI.

To all those people that said they never got a refund. I know I didn't either, but got a voucher for the total amount, didn't have to use, it had 2 years on it, to use, that was Nov 2019. We just booked our flight again, to fly Australia on 31 March. They where great with the voucher, they even give us seats in premium area on our leg back to Thailand in May. They where great booking with them. That's my spin on it, ????????

I had a flight ticket Brussels-BKK on Thai in mid-January. When I stepped into business class I was greeted by my name. All 4 business class flight attendants seemed to be expecting me. I then discovered I was the one and only business class passenger on that flight. Eerie.

Take the PCR tests, test and go, and COVID insurance off the table and I'd be more than happy to take a trip home. My only time I'm really available to fly this year would be at the start of my extension of stay. 1 years COVID cover costs about the same as the flight I'd normally buy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

No, they just merged the Board of Directors with TAT.

Which means there's an even bigger management team but even less overall knowledge/experience in running/operating an international airline/enterprise.

Edited by scorecard

36 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Not normal when requiring fully vaccinated folks be tested 3X to enter…

Heard US airlines pressuring White House to drop air test to enter US…what a contrast between thailand and US….

Meanwhile:

- Total death toll in USA now over 900,000.

- Daily positives around 118,000.

- Daily death toll around 3,800. 

So is your comparison really valid?

3 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand including Thai Airways has lost credibility its fleet has been reduced to old outdated Air Craft very expensive to operate so there is no way they can get back the routes and respect they had prior to the Pandemic they are charging double fares of other airlines with modern fleets and owe so many customers money for cancelled flights. The same applies to the Thai Tourism as a whole.

i’m not so sure of that.

Their A350s are just on average around 5yrs their 777s are just over 10yrs and their B787s are just a bit over 5yrs

While it’s true they do still have some older fleet types - as example their 744s - still on their books, speaking for the current/active fleet, it appears to be well on the younger side on an average basis.

It’s always been my opinion that right now, with interest rates at relatively speaking low levels, this might be an opportune time to transition from older fleet to younger fleet types.

It’s hugely beneficial on the PAXEX side of course, but not only that, but in short and medium term maintenance costs tend to be lower, it also helps up your operational relatability as well and of course your fuel burn issues as well.

If i were BOD for Thai, i’d be a buyer/lessor right now, while interest rates are historically speaking low and fuel hasn’t rocketed up like we saw in 2007/8…. I wouldn’t want to be caught out on a price spike and/or have to rely on purchasing hedges.

When I was looking for return business class flights to the UK, Thai Airways were by far the most expensive. As much as I would like to fly direct, there was no way I was going to pay their prices. Settled for Emirates in the end with not that much time difference and a great deal cheaper!! 

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Won't even consider flying Thai until my family gets the refund owed for flights cancelled 2 years ago.

I do have 45000 baht worth of credit with them. That's roundtrip for two to almost anywhere but...

I don't want to go anywhere now. Six months from now, maybe. I hope I can get my credit extended beyond this year. 

I don't get the dumping on Thai Airways. I've always had positive experiences with the exception of the 45000 baht refund

Edited by Pinot

57 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Meanwhile:

- Total death toll in USA now over 900,000.

- Daily positives around 118,000.

- Daily death toll around 3,800. 

So is your comparison really valid?

17000 Americans died in the last week of January. I get so sick of hearing that the Thai government is the worst for being sticklers about all these tests. 

I've always thought the Thai government has done an exceptional job handling the pandemic. 

17000 in a week. Test everyone and then test them again. There should be no tourists 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

The wider issue here is for government to implement major training and education programmers to train some of the current and future generations in meaningful employment away from tourism sectors. Wonder if this current administration is capable of such challenges?

Oh dear.

Shirley, you jest.....