Anyone know a cheap / free app for making international calls to a landline?

Kenny202

36 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

OK we agree that Skype is the way to go. But I have the option to have them call back back instead of sitting on call waiting. I am only stating the advantage of having static number.

Call back or number is not important to me. If it is taking a long time or the other party needs time to investigate I simply give them my Thai landline number to call back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Most companies / banks I find will call you back at their expense wherever you are these days.

Yeah, but how do they do that if you called in via Skype (unless you also pay for a Skype phone number)?

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

Some will ask for a phone number to call you back in case you are cut off, or they'll use your phone number of record.

I'd just plan to call back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Kenny,   a good one that I've used before is called  mytello    .....  you just top up a few dollars and you can call anywhere very cheap,  also the voice quality is fine.   Just google '  mytello '  

I use Top-Up service with my AIS sim on my mobile phone. When I call a US landline or mobile number through the mytello Thailand dial-in number, does AIS also charge me for the number of minutes that I use on the mytello call? 

I have been using 2ndline app  for calling to the U.S. for over a year. Free if you have wifi.  Also can receive texts which is why I got it initially, but now use ot instead of Skype for calls

Had to get a U.S. number to receive a text from my bank to set up my USB security key which became necessary for international transfers last year.

2nd line.jpg

2 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Line, completely free, video calls, chat, no ads. Popular here. 

Yes if the person you're calling has LINE. Line out is free to make calls but only for a length of 5 minutes which is no good to me. 

15 hours ago, Paulaew said:

I don't know if there are any free apps, because the local phone companies charge to connect those calls.

I use Skype, which is very cheap to the USA and some other countries. When I call my bank in the USA I can use a toll free (800) number and there is no charge from Skype. When I put $10.00 in my Skype account it seems to last forever.

Paul Laew

I got a Colorado Skype number and unlimited north America calling plan, mobile or land-line phones.

Total is $10/month. I talks for probably a hundred hours a month to people in USA.

14 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think I gave Skype $35 for an annual subscription that allows me to make unlimited calls to landlines in the US. I used to top up in increments of $10, but given my usage, this was cheaper.

Interesting. I have the same but only pay $10/month regardless of usage. No top up, etc. Charged to my credit card every month. Hundreds of hours usage each month. Have my own dedicated USA number with Skype. Americans can call me just like they would call their neighbors.

Not sure why you're paying so much.

7 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Interesting. I have the same but only pay $10/month regardless of usage. No top up, etc. Charged to my credit card every month. Hundreds of hours usage each month. Have my own dedicated USA number with Skype. Americans can call me just like they would call their neighbors.

Skype have several different options.

Calls to mobile, landlines, unlimited time etc.

He could be on a different package.

If you have an old package like I do, it is sometimes cheaper than new packages which come out.

35 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

I use Top-Up service with my AIS sim on my mobile phone. When I call a US landline or mobile number through the mytello Thailand dial-in number, does AIS also charge me for the number of minutes that I use on the mytello call? 

good point, because with mytello you call a Bangkok 02 number then it connects the international call.

I don't have an answer,  but i remember a few years back I did check that out and if memory serves me correct I think the cost was minimal ...  I know the total cost to Australia was around like 50 cents for 30 minutes .

Very cheap and voice clear like normal call.  

I think the OP would be wise to check out mytello .....   no apps,  no big payment, no hassle,  just register, top up & call.

As many have said, skype is good. Can call both landlines and mobiles. Rates vary according to the country you're calling, but generally quite cheap. If calling toll-free numbers in the US, no charge. You need to download the app and set up an account, but that's free. You can use it on both mobile and desktop.

17 hours ago, Paulaew said:

I don't know if there are any free apps, because the local phone companies charge to connect those calls.

I use Skype, which is very cheap to the USA and some other countries. When I call my bank in the USA I can use a toll free (800) number and there is no charge from Skype. When I put $10.00 in my Skype account it seems to last forever.

Paul Laew

Yes. I also use Skype . Good, cheap. Set up a subscription if you use alot. If not put in a credit which you can choose to auto top up if you wish.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I have the same but only pay $10/month

Of this amount how much for number each month?

Do you receive SMSes with this number? You should be able to do this. (I think only U.S. Skype numbers can receive SMS?)

They have an unlimited plan for the U.S. as low as $2.99/month (Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S.)

So maybe the number is $6.99 /month?

Hundreds of hours usage each month.

Really? I think Skype has some fair use limits in hours per day, and hours per month. When you say "hundreds" you mean 101 hours? 200 hours? More?

Have you run into any limits?

I get the same services free with Google Voice, but would recommend Skype for some.

$10 per month is $120 per year. I'm paying $35 per year. 

I use phonenet calling cards, available from the CAT telephone offices throughout Thailand....and available online.  Calls to the US are 1 baht per minute.  I use my mobile phone to call from anywhere in the country.  Been using this method for many years.....crystal clear calls.

https://voicebycat.com/catvoice/index.php/en/individual/cat-phonenet-thaicard/cat-phonenet-thaicard

Free calls.......I use LINE to call our daughter in the US.  The app is free and the calls are also crystal clear.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Skype have several different options.

Calls to mobile, landlines, unlimited time etc.

He could be on a different package.

If you have an old package like I do, it is sometimes cheaper than new packages which come out.

My package is unlimited calling to North America (really only Canada & USA) mobile and landlines for $3.95/month. I also registered for the international plan, which is prepaid and tops up to $5 every time I use it. It covers most of the planet with reasonable per minute fees. No charges if not used.

Maybe also because I used a USA address to register about 8 months ago I got a cheaper fee. .

I only posted the info for information if it may help. I have been very impressed with Skype so far.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

$10 per month is $120 per year. I'm paying $35 per year. 

Ah. I missed that. Good plan then. I doubt it can get any cheaper than that.

I burn so much time with American friends and family that my plan feels pretty cheap.

32 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Of this amount how much for number each month?

Do you receive SMSes with this number? You should be able to do this. (I think only U.S. Skype numbers can receive SMS?)

They have an unlimited plan for the U.S. as low as $2.99/month (Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S.)

So maybe the number is $6.99 /month?

Really? I think Skype has some fair use limits in hours per day, and hours per month. When you say "hundreds" you mean 101 hours? 200 hours? More?

Have you run into any limits?

I get the same services free with Google Voice, but would recommend Skype for some.

The phone # is $5.95/month and 3.95 for unlimited calling plan.

I am not aware of daily limits but I know I've spent as many as 6 hours a day on two or three calls. I've never had any reason to count hours but I'm pretty sure it's over 100/month.

Voice quality is very good and I can get SMS too. It is voip so if my internet glitches the call drops. Also has voicemail.

Just now, RocketDog said:

Ah. I missed that. Good plan then. I doubt it can get any cheaper than that.

I burn so much time with American friends and family that my plan feels pretty cheap.

I find it quite cost-effective. 

I have a very elderly parent in the US who has no computer or smartphone, so being able to call landlines cheaply is a godsend.

I lived in Europe in the early 1970s and recall the high cost of phoning the US back then. One reason to appreciate today's technology.

• Like 1

There is a Globfone app.
Globfone allows you to make free audio calls through your browser to create a PC to phone connection. On the
However, they have a major limitation in that you can only call for a few minutes before the connection drops. In addition, there is a limit on the number of calls that can be made through one IP address in a 24 hour period. But it's free. I don't know of other programs that allow you to call landlines for free.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course you can.

Line Out

https://line.me/en/call/howto

Call rates from Thailand (or anywhere) to Australia quite reasonable, two U.S. cents per minute.

https://line.me/en/call/price-table

They can't call you back though.

Yes, I use Line to call the U.K. at 16b per hour to landline only. The only drawback is that it's limited to 1 hour a month and it seems you can't top up within that period if you use up the credit. It works fine for me though.

• Thanks 1