Non O extension : Yellow book, Pink ID

Going for my 1 year extension on a Non O based on marriage next week.

We live in our own house on my wife’s land, so have no rental contract, wife has blue house book.

is there any reason or benefit to get myself a yellow house book and/or pink I’d card before I go for the extension?

I took both my yellow book and pink id card and they ignored them and required me to bring in a neighbor with signed copies of his blue book. He also had to come when they visited my house. This is at nonthaburi immigration though, they are a bunch of tossers there, rude, arrogant jobsworths. When the officer put my nationally down as english and I told him it should be British, he was adamant he was correct. You'd expect someone working in the field to know this simple fact. 

Edited by leeedwards

8 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I remember asking about the Yellow Book years ago at the Amphur and their advice, paraphrased, was 'Don't bother.  It is a world of pain to get it and it is of very limited use.'

Thats an odd thing for the Amphur to say, its really up to them how hard/easy the process is. Some will issue them with a minimum of documentation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, leeedwards said:

I took both my yellow book and pink id card and they ignored them and required me to bring in a neighbor with signed copies of his blue book. He also had to come when they visited my house. This is at nonthaburi immigration though, they are a bunch of tossers there, rude, arrogant jobsworths.

The neighbor with blue book is a witness, nothing to do with your yellow book/ID.

Yellow/pink cant serve the purpose of being a witness for your extension.

• Like 1

I did my yellow book many years back simply because I already had all the required paperwork from when I got married, the biggest one being the officially stamped translation of my passport from the MFA in Bangkok.  In 10 years, I used it maybe twice (open a bank account & driver's license) and even then it wasn't really mandatory.

If you already have all the paperwork, then go ahead and stop by your local amphur and ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats an odd thing for the Amphur to say, its really up to them how hard/easy the process is. Some will issue them with a minimum of documentation.

It may well be that they just wanted me to go away!  It was late afternoon on a Friday and they were all just chilling out in the office with nothing to do.  My wife and I were the only people there.

• Like 1

Some people say they have been able to get the Thai prices going into national parks with the pink ID. Some say they use it to check into hotels. Some say drivers license gets them the Thai prices sometimes. The dual pricing will still happen and you can use your wife’s ID or your drivers license/ passport when doing pretty much everything anyways. I see basically zero benefits to jumping through the hoops to get.  

• Sad 1

Like many others on this site, I have a Yellow Book, obtained because I/O at Chiang R tpld me I "needed one"

IMHO A complete waste of time.  Since then I have taken this book o every visit to Immigration, and it has been ignored by every I/O

Considering the trouble and cost, ( official translations of Marriage and Birth Certs, and verification by UK Embassy, visits to I/O at Bangkok,) and that I never visit national parks, it was not worth it.  My advice to anyone is not to bother until you find some reason why yo must have one.

if it was to make TM30 or 3 month reporting unnecessary, then it might have been OK, but completely useless.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, roath said:

If you are living long term in Thailand, you really should get a yellow book (and pink card that follows) as there are a number of benefits, not all of which are about using at a national park or avoiding needing a certificate of residence etc. You are taken (a bit) more seriously as someone who is a long-term resident rather than just (for example) a long stay tourist. I used my pink card only this week to register for my booster, which saved having to get my passport out etc. and also many registrations require a 13 digit ID number which you get. I also registered my phone with my Thai ID number, which means I no longer need to update if I change my passport number. Lots of benefits for the (usually) small number of hoops you need to jump through to get one

Has anyone managed to get into the Grand Palace for free with a pink ID card? Try as I may, I've always been stuck with the 500 baht foreigner fee whenever I have to take a visiting friend there.

It's the ultimate test of your "Thainess."

Paul Laew

You don’t need either the yellow book or pink ID card however I have both and have always found them extremely useful to get Thai rates rather than farang rates an example is my dentist as well as one particular ferry company when I’m island hopping if I’m ever stopped at a police check I pull it out and I no longer have to pay immigration 500 baht for a confirmation of address letter it took me all of 30 minutes to get and cost 300 baht and due to my age it is for life I no longer have to renew it so for me having the two is an advantage   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Robin said:

Like many others on this site, I have a Yellow Book, obtained because I/O at Chiang R tpld me I "needed one"

IMHO A complete waste of time.  Since then I have taken this book o every visit to Immigration, and it has been ignored by every I/O

Considering the trouble and cost, ( official translations of Marriage and Birth Certs, and verification by UK Embassy, visits to I/O at Bangkok,) and that I never visit national parks, it was not worth it.  My advice to anyone is not to bother until you find some reason why yo must have one.

if it was to make TM30 or 3 month reporting unnecessary, then it might have been OK, but completely useless.

Nah

The Pink ID card is well handy on trips to the uk.

Great for scraping the ice off the car windscreen.

So not totally useless.

55 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Has anyone managed to get into the Grand Palace for free with a pink ID card? Try as I may, I've always been stuck with the 500 baht foreigner fee whenever I have to take a visiting friend there.

It's the ultimate test of your "Thainess."

Paul Laew

The pink card specifically says that it is for Non-Thai Nationals so that's not really a good test as the card proves that you aren't Thai

Saying that, from personal experience, there have been a number of places where I have qualified for the 'Thai' entry price with a pink ID card (and where not even a Work Permit will suffice)

5 hours ago, Midwit said:

Some people say they have been able to get the Thai prices going into national parks with the pink ID. Some say they use it to check into hotels. Some say drivers license gets them the Thai prices sometimes. The dual pricing will still happen and you can use your wife’s ID or your drivers license/ passport when doing pretty much everything anyways. I see basically zero benefits to jumping through the hoops to get.  

There is something in what you say.  It used to be very easy to check in to a hotel with a pink card but that came to an end when Immigration recruited reception staff as unpaid law enforcers and made then take a copy of your permission to stay stamp.

My local DLT used to take yellow book/pink card but now they have stopped.

At the end of the day it is all about personal  perspective on value and I would suggest it is worth having.

I am registered at the hospital I use regularly with the pink card and when the vaccinations started the hospital registered me on Mor Phrom and I was vaccinated at around 9am the day the rollout started. I have also had free flu jabs and free medical checkups at the mobile health unit on the back of the yellow book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smiggley said:

I recently got my pink card and yellow book in Chaiyaphum, it was cheap easy and painless so I have no idea why people are saying they have to jump through hoops and at great expense.

Because some do in a different province .

Duh  !!!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Midwit said:

Im one of those who say both yellow book and pink ID have been very useful and neither of them were difficult or expensive to obtain., oh and I don’t have to rely on a wife or anyone else’s documents either. But I won’t expect you to believe me

11 hours ago, Midwit said:

The pink card can get you the Thai price quite often. The driving licence hardly ever ("never" in my case).

On 2/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Paulaew said:

You don't need a yellow book or pink ID for your Non-O extension by reason of marriage. A copy of your wife's tabien baan (blue book) will be sufficient for your documentation of residence.

I suspect those of us with Yellow Books can all show the odd occasion when its come in handy.

Just over a week ago I applied for a 1 year extension on my permission to stay (based on marriage) and my Yellow Book actually came in handy.  This was the first time I had gone for an extension of my permission to stay based on marriage (my previous extension was based on retirement). 

My wife's tabien baan (blue book) is for a different house than where my wife lives - and she has it on that house for tax management reasons.  The local IO noted the address in her 'blue book' did NOT match my address.   My wife explained the reason to them, and pointed out to them my yellow book.

In the end they accepted my 'yellow book' as proof where I lived, and also accepted the various pictures of my wife and I in the location where I live (condo complex sign, our unit door sign, inside the unit) ....

So IMHO one never really knows - sometimes because one does something a bit different, it might mean different items are accepted and other's not accepted.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Paulaew said:

I obtained a yellow book about 12 years ago and it has come in handy on a few occasions. I used it to document my residence when renewing my driver's license and it provided me with a Thai ID number when I registered for some vaccinations. Other forum members may suggest other occasions when a yellow book or pink ID has been useful.

Indeed.   I have found the pink ID helpful at times. Sometimes its been accepted by a Thai hotel ... other time's it has not.  Its sort of 'hit and miss' as to whether its useful.  But I don't regret owning it.