Return flight or one way is ok?

Am planning to enter as visa exempt for 30 days then apply for O retirement visa.   As am planning to not have any need to return to HK for at least a few years is it ok to just book a one way ticket as if I book less than a year I won’t plan on using the return portion so seems a waste.  Do I have to have a return flight to enter visa exempt?  Thanks. 

• Like 1

I’ve entered Thailand tens of times and was never asked to show a return ticket. I always had one, but was never asked. I retired in 2019 and came on a one-way ticket. No problems. My plan, if it came down to showing an onward ticket, was to just get out of line, buy a cheapo Air Asia ticket to Phnom Penh on my phone, and get back in line. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jack Batty said:

I’ve entered Thailand tens of times and was never asked to show a return ticket. I always had one, but was never asked. I retired in 2019 and came on a one-way ticket. No problems. My plan, if it came down to showing an onward ticket, was to just get out of line, buy a cheapo Air Asia ticket to Phnom Penh on my phone, and get back in line. 

All well and good idea,

But only good if the internet is working for you.

If you arrive visa exempt you should be asked for proof on onward travel at check in. This often does not happen but why risk the stress. As recommended above a cheap flight from anywhere in Thailand to anywhere outside Thailand will do. Alternatively look up onwardtravel for 'rent a ticket' Peace of mind in my book for $12 or so 

14 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

If you arrive visa exempt you should be asked for proof on onward travel at check in. This often does not happen but why risk the stress. As recommended above a cheap flight from anywhere in Thailand to anywhere outside Thailand will do. Alternatively look up onwardtravel for 'rent a ticket' Peace of mind in my book for $12 or so 

OP, read this post above I quoted twice as it's the correct advice.

The airline at departure may/will require an onward flight if flying visa exempt. 

It's never asked for on arrival at passport control. 

• Like 2

You might have an issue with the airline, though. I had huge difficulty checking in for a one-way flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok with Thai Airways in 2017, as they insisted that I 'needed a tourist visa or a return flight'. - I finally convinced them that I had plenty of cash in case they had to take me back, but it was really scary, as time was short, and I still had to take the ferry from the mainland to Hong Kong. I barely made it there in time.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

Another ridiculous thread with people saying you must buy a throw away ticket to justify what they think is real

Traveled to Thailand at least 50 times in last 10 years, never been asked to show onward ticket, just like no-one has been asked to show proof of 20,000 baht funds.

Waste your money if you like with a throw away ticket, but no need. Worst case scenario is buy a throw away if they insist, which they obviously don't unless you look like a homeless bum ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And here I am on a visa exempt with a one way ticket, just extended for another 30 days

I used to add a false date to my TM6 to pretend that I was flying out, this time I left it blank. Still arrived ok and got the extension ok with a blank TM6 ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

And here I am on a visa exempt with a one way ticket, just extended for another 30 days

I used to add a false date to my TM6 to pretend that I was flying out, this time I left it blank. Still arrived ok and got the extension ok with a blank TM6 ????

Think you have previously posted this re no onward flight required.

Think you mentioned Thai airways (not sure).

It often depends on the carrier.

Jetstar for just one example along with AirAsia will 100% require onward flight.

I find your posts often poor advice. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you have previously posted this re no onward flight required.

Think you mentioned Thai airways (not sure).

It often depends on the carrier.

Jetstar for just one example along with AirAsia will 100% require onward flight.

I find your posts often poor advice. 

No, I have flown Etihad, Qatar, Singapore, Thai Airways all one way....maybe you look suspect on cheaper airlines like Jetstar why you seem to think it's mandated????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

No, I have flown Etihad, Qatar, Singapore, Thai Airways all one way....maybe you look suspect on cheaper airlines like Jetstar why you seem to think it's mandated????

You have super human powers which makes you immune from having an onward ticket. Myself, I'm a mere mortal and I require an onward ticket when flying visa exempt. The "onward ticket" for 12 bucks works nicely.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Another ridiculous thread with people saying you must buy a throw away ticket to justify what they think is real

Traveled to Thailand at least 50 times in last 10 years, never been asked to show onward ticket, just like no-one has been asked to show proof of 20,000 baht funds.

Waste your money if you like with a throw away ticket, but no need. Worst case scenario is buy a throw away if they insist, which they obviously don't unless you look like a homeless bum ????

It's an official requirement to have a booked ticket out of Thailand when entering visa exempt. Immigration doesn't enforce it though.

Many people have been asked at check-in to show an outward flight booking, because if they were denied entry due to this the airline would have to pay for the deportation and be fined.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, DrJack54 said:

The airline at departure may/will require an onward flight if flying visa exempt. 

It's never asked for on arrival at passport control. 

I travelled to Thailand a couple of years ago and was grilled at check-in about visa for Thailand, onward flight and the visa for the onward destination (that I was never going to go to).  I told them I checked and I could get visa exempt and they were OK with it.

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I travelled to Thailand a couple of years ago and was grilled at check-in about visa for Thailand, onward flight and the visa for the onward destination (that I was never going to go to).  I told them I checked and I could get visa exempt and they were OK with it.

What is your point.

At departure you may or may not be required to show onward flight.

Many airlines are very strict about this.

Some it seems are flexible.

I recommend in public forum to have an onward flight at boarding check in departure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Funny how "couple of years" could mean 2 or 20 as we get older.

• Haha 1

I have been questioned about a one way flight to Thailand from the US in the last five years and without an onward ticket to Laos would not have been allowed to board the flight. Call the airline and they will tell you what their rules are.

13 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

. Call the airline and they will tell you what their rules are

I think thats good advice.

I'm somewhat biased on this. 

Seems low cost carriers are more strict.

We often fly Bangkok to Japan (AirAsia)

Even with boarding pass for Thai partner they carefully count the days against return flight to allow entry to waiting lounge.

Thai are allowed 15 day visa exempt to Japan.

Without onward flight she simply will not be able to board flight. 

Edited by DrJack54