Thai media update on legal matters after female boxer and adversary get fined the same - 1,000 baht

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

That Rath followed up on the story of a female boxer called Pareploy Saeaia who attacked a man who had earlier poured a beer over her head.

Pareploy was shown on video aiming a few kicks and expletives at the man all caught on video. 

But they said many people in Thailand were perplexed that they were both fined the same, even though the charges were slightly different when they went to Huay Khwang police station following the incident at a khao tom restaurant in Bangkok.

The man - a former hotel employee who has now lost his job over the incident - was fined 500 baht for the beer tipping, deemed as dirty and offensive, and 500 baht for affray.

The female boxer was charged 500 baht for assault and 500 for affray (essentially being drunk and disorderly).

The media noted that with the man losing his job he had been dealt a double whammy by society and the law - perhaps deserved in the eyes of many seeing as he started it after his "clink glasses" request was rejected and he did the beer pouring. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

House legal expert Wanchai Sornsiri told the media that a court would take into consideration if an assault occurred immediately after a beer pouring incident of this nature as then it could be construed as acting in anger on the spur of the moment.

How long the spur of the moment was, was a matter of debate. 

The woman could have been jailed for what she did, noted Wanchai, as courts can give sentences for up to 2 years for assault.

But he noted that the police probably saw it for what it was - a minor assault.

Though in his opinion he thought that due to the circumstances the woman involved could still argue that she acted on the spur of the moment out of anger. 

The man's smiles when being assaulted could also amount to ridiculing the woman, he suggested. 

The incident is doing the rounds of Thai and foreign social media as the public debate the issue, notes ASEAN NOW. 

Especially given the job of the woman involved - known in the ring as "Petchploy Khwatonsung".

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It was the woman who was assaulted not the man.

The vdo shows a professional female boxer assaulting a man? Not very professional but she was likely drunk. The guy was a douche bag and caused the first assault by tipping beer on her. The o/p has got it right along with the outcome.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So up to 2 years in jail for defending myself but 500 baht fine for the person who starts the fight?  Pouring been over my head is not even an assault?  

Its provocation, i would never call it assault. Does not assault mean some violence ?

I totally understand the woman pouring beer over someone's head is just asking for a fight. I would not fight but I am mainly anti violence as it can go totally wrong. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The vdo shows a professional female boxer assaulting a man? Not very professional but she was likely drunk. The guy was a douche bag and caused the first assault by tipping beer on her. The o/p has got it right along with the outcome.

But he did not cause any assault - just spilled some beer causing offense because he was drunk.  ????

Edited by lopburi3

Just now, robblok said:

That is not just spilling some beer, pouring beer over someone her head is a pure provocation. Spilling is accidental. 

I know that - it was assault in my book per my original post.  That post was supposed to be sarcastic (added emoji).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are always at least two sides to a story.

The police did not cause the sacking.

That was 100% his employer.

If you ran a hotel, would you want it to be known as the place where drunken staff pour beer over the heads of innocent girls?

I take your point. But what about a certain convicted drug smuggler retaining his position and even being elevated to higher things in government? Double standards methinks. I doubt many know, or care who the idiot beer throwers employer is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I take your point. But what about a certain convicted drug smuggler retaining his position and even being elevated to higher things in government? Double standards methinks. I doubt many know, or care who the idiot beer throwers employer is.

True, definately double standards in Thailand , The way he trashed the paper cup afterwards is evidence enough of his arrogant self righteous nature and the Hotel with a European country name ending in *****otel 204 Rachadapisek rd was 100% correct in sacking him and 100% Kudos to her.  

• Confused 1

The guy was walking away he had his hand up a professional boxing girl kick them a few times may also mention they were low blows I think they were both wrong but seeing the video of the girl kicking him repeatedly makes me think she needs to go to anger management TIT

Judging from what I can seen in the video, I have no sympathy for either of them.

He behaved like an as*le, she kept kicking even as he was walking away and her point had already been made abundantly. btw, we have no clue on what happened before the pouring.

For once, good calling by the police.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

Well in that case you really ought to know that pouring water on someone's head is not assault. 

I also know this is not Songkran (which may not be observed for the 3rd year in a row in any case).  And it was reported as beer rather than water.

Songkran 2022 in Thailand will begin on
Wednesday, April 13
and ends on
Friday, April 15

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, worldexpress said:

The difference between first world and third world. No common sense. in justice, or anything else for that matter.

TIT baby, This is Thailand. Keep smiling and always give the police a wide berth or a wai ????

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But they said many people in Thailand were perplexed that they were both fined the same, even though the charges were slightly different when they went to Huay Khwang police station following the incident at a khao tom restaurant in Bangkok.

He pored water over her, she got revenge by assaulting him.  At a guess they fined them the same because it was a tit for tat situation, but they had to be seen to be doing something about it.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The female boxer was charged 500 baht for assault and 500 for affray (essentially being drunk and disorderly).

No.  Assault and affray.  Not being drunk and disorderly at all.  One is about hitting and fighting, the other is being drunk and behaving in disorderly way.

8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this. Stopping him from earning a living and jeopardizing his family is too much for doing something stupid on the spur of the moment which, no doubt , he will regret forever.. ????

So his advances were rejected, loss of face, his reaction do something to show his superiority over a woman, but he picked the wrong one, then tried to run away, sniveling coward. Well done lady, no woman should be subjected to this type of denigration. Give her a medal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It has been my experience that gym Rats and martial arts students grow a chip on their shoulders after they gain some expertise. You can see it in their new-found swagger. They look for opportunities to use their skills.

That said, the woman had the right to challenge they guy for his behavior and to call the cops. But her attack was purely gratuitous and self-aggrandizing. 

I think they both deserved the minor fine they got. My Thai GF does not agree with me, just for the record.

17 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

It has been my experience that gym Rats and martial arts students grow a chip on their shoulders after they gain some expertise. You can see it in their new-found swagger. They look for opportunities to use their skills.

That said, the woman had the right to challenge they guy for his behavior and to call the cops. But her attack was purely gratuitous and self-aggrandizing. 

I think they both deserved the minor fine they got. My Thai GF does not agree with me, just for the record.

I tend to agree a certain group of people who study martial arts and gym rats use it to dominate others once they get a lil bit of strength / skill.  They seem to want to take  some sort of revenge on others / prove themselves. 

I would not say its really that common but it happens usually people who were not confident before and seem to think they need to prove themselves. 

Most of the guys i grew up with who went to the gym stayed normal, few exceptions but certainly not a majority.