What are the exact dates that the American army boys are visiting Pattaya.

davidst01

Cobra Gold is definitely not competition to the bar crawlers.... if anything any competition comes from JUSMAG-THAI guys in BKK that are here permanently. Normally they are married already due to their age, but may go out now and again.... but very few in numbers, Even COVID Era tourists outnumber them greatly.

Strange to care that much when regular tourist number greatly dwarf anything a military exercise could possibly bring(and hasn't in a generation).... perhaps someone that enjoys the lockdowns?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:08 AM, bbko said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Signed a 24 year military retiree, with 14 of them overseas.

1982-2006

I live here in Pattaya and I know exactly what I'm talking about regarding life here as do the staff and bar owners who know there will be no huge surge of military coming ashore this year just as there has been no huge sure of American military personnel here in Pattaya for years. Your 'claimed' service years ended before the period I refer to.  Perhaps in your day you and your cohort enjoyed whoring and carousing here in Pattaya but it stopped by about 2010/ 2010.

• Haha 1

One time I stayed in a large hotel in Pattaya, had these same American military idiot big kids running up and down the corridor tasering each other, throwing up, banging and kicking on each others doors all night, and crying that their mate was humping their hooker lady. Completely no respect for other guests or the hotel. Suggest they come in, get drunk and go back to their hammock with the lady they just got tattooed on their arm!

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The times when Cobra Gold had a measurable impact to Pattaya's bar scene are long gone.

Nevertheless I recall it well... special prices for the loudmouths! Staff putting fingers to lips.. 'don't tell them they are being overcharged' in Dave's GB Bar.....

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Nevertheless I recall it well... special prices for the loudmouths! Staff putting fingers to lips.. 'don't tell them they are being overcharged' in Dave's GB Bar.....

I remember those things from my first years here. I avoided the city as far as possible during Cobra Gold then.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

One time I stayed in a large hotel in Pattaya, had these same American military idiot big kids running up and down the corridor tasering each other, throwing up, banging and kicking on each others doors all night, and crying that their mate was humping their hooker lady. Completely no respect for other guests or the hotel. Suggest they come in, get drunk and go back to their hammock with the lady they just got tattooed on their arm!

This is precisely the reason why I don't want to visit whilst these rednecks are in town. 

cheers

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, Saraburi121 said:

The most true post in this thread. Sad but true in recent years that the restrictions are ridiculous.  It is a shame the troops are not allowed to go out and have good time. Did Cobra Gold from the late 90's to 2006.  First CG in Lop Buri and had a blast!  Best times were at small exercises in Isaan and Chanthaburi, good folks, great food, beer and beautiful women!  Got to see a lot of the country and met my wife here. Retired and settled in Thailand now. 

Laugh every year when Cobra Gold comes around the Pattaya crawlers become nervous like the OP, scared of a little competition?

Please read richard colemans comment- re your last sentence. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I remember those things from my first years here. I avoided the city as far as possible during Cobra Gold then.

It's all in the past now but it's fascinating that senior ex pat clubs and Thai municipal administrators don't realise it all finished YEARS AGO for the reasons explained on this thread.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Nobody cared or worried.  The generous hearted GIs were never penny pinching, snivelling Cheap Charlie's. They had their own bars including the Blue Parrot around Soi 12 Beach Rd.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Youthfull High spirits celebrating life! Before returning to theatres of war such as the Gulf. The American marines were real gentlemen compared to the British troops in Berlin and Belize.  Thank goodness those guys never came on maneuvers here!

On 2/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Back in the day. Thousands of military personnel came on shore.  The girls prepared banners and sewed welcome messages to pin and hang outside the bars. IT WAS A MASSIVE OCCASION and great fun. But it was killed off by feminism via the recruitment of female personnel into the forces basically horrified at the fun and freedom Pattaya offered men. I remember about 2008 the girls in the beer bar on 2nd Rd across from the Lek Hotel chattering excitedly and stitching welcome signs.

I can just imagine some poor soldiers having risked their lives in a dust hole like Afghanistan, where all the women look like bell tents, then getting a chance to go to Thailand,  and being confined to the barracks ????

51 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Youthfull High spirits celebrating life! Before returning to theatres of war such as the Gulf. The American marines were real gentlemen compared to the British troops in Berlin and Belize.  Thank goodness those guys never came on maneuvers here!

But they do, I was in Kanchanaburi a few years back with the RBL. There was a Scottish regt on manouevre's at the time, in the evening they came into the British bar on the main drag, can't remember the name now, one of the guys brought his bagpipes in, a bloody good night ????

I hope they do come, I'm happy to buy them a few beers for their service

If you go to 5 Star bar on beach road you'll see many old photos and letters of gratitude from high ranking military for how they were accepted and treated in these bars....the good old days

Edited by aussiexpat

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

But they do, I was in Kanchanaburi a few years back with the RBL. There was a Scottish regt on manouevre's at the time, in the evening they came into the British bar on the main drag, can't remember the name now, one of the guys brought his bagpipes in, a bloody good night ????

I can't put 'bagpipes' and 'a good night' in the same sentence. 

The British Military you mention in Kanchanburi were probably visiting the war graves. I doubt they were on Military maneuvers.

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I can't put 'bagpipes' and 'a good night' in the same sentence. 

The British Military you mention in Kanchanburi were probably visiting the war graves. I doubt they were on Military maneuvers.

I can assure you they were on manouevre's, we as a group visited them, I believe they were learning survival ( tropics )  tactics from the Thai army, why do you doubt the word of someone that was there ?? Or do know better ?

36 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can assure you they were on manouevre's, we as a group visited them, I believe they were learning survival ( tropics )  tactics from the Thai army, why do you doubt the word of someone that was there ?? Or do know better ?

Right that would make sense.Jungle manouevres. I was going to suggest that option. British troops usually do their jungle training in Malaysia...They certainly don't come to Pattaya.  However, I do standby the contractdiction of 'bagpipes' and ' a good night'...lol

On 2/11/2022 at 10:08 AM, bbko said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. 

Signed a 24 year military retiree, with 14 of them overseas.

1982-2006

I caught my first ship in Subic 1976 18 yrs old, pretty wild days in Olongapo. 

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Right that would make sense.Jungle manouevres. I was going to suggest that option. British troops usually do their jungle training in Malaysia...They certainly don't come to Pattaya.  However, I do standby the contractdiction of 'bagpipes' and ' a good night'...lol

I was born and bred in that smokey place called London, but having spent 12 years in the army & having lived in Edinburgh for a few years + having had a Scottish MIL I can tolerate and quite like bagpipes, especially when played live, I also like Haggis, so my rounded education of life in general has stood me in good stead.???? 

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nobody cared or worried.  The generous hearted GIs were never penny pinching, snivelling Cheap Charlie's. They had their own bars including the Blue Parrot around Soi 12 Beach Rd.

Heck no, people were making extra money.....

They were always pleasant enough kids, good for a chat. As said, relatively well behaved.

2 hours ago, USEpat said:

Flew into U-Tapao on the afternoon of February 15th.  There were four V-22s (US) and three C-130s US cammo gray, but not sure if US aircraft, parked on the field.  Likely associated with the Cobra Gold business.

They are USAF, they fly over my house most days then turn out into the gulf and when half way across the water turn off their transponders so don't know where they go after that.

Here is a screen shot I took a couple of days back of one of them from fightradar.

CV22.jpg

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

4 years ago.  They don't visit too often then, even pre covid, do they?   ????  

Pre covid, yes! They came a lot.  I as a veteran  would actually  talk with them Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, special  ops..  just haven't  seen them since covid.