Which country’s COVID policy is the best model for Thailand?

Marvest

The COVID pandemic reaches far and deep.  It’s a 100-year phenomenon that is complex to deal with.  Ultimately, governments’ success in dealing with the COVID pandemic will be determined by how well they balance the economy and safety with the happiness of their citizens.  

According to the official COVID case and death count, Thailand is relatively safe.  Thailand’s economy grew in 2021 as did exports.  However, consumer confidence remains very low, and many restaurants and tourist related businesses continue to suffer.  According to many of the experts on this forum, the Thai government is doing everything wrong.

In the big picture, allowing foreigners to freely enter Thailand is not a priority for the Thai government except to the extent it effects the balance of economy, safety and happiness of Thai citizens. 

Which country’s policies are the best model for Thailand to follow?  

19 minutes ago, Marvest said:

Agree... going forward.  England is ahead of Thailand and past their peak on the omicron spike.  Thailand should remove restrictions once they get past the peak.  I think they will.

I am wondering what restrictions?  Beside the temperature check at many (not all) shops and donning a mask before entering I haven't known about restrictions. And that with driving every day, ocassionaly also to other provinces, staying not only in hotels at short term trips but also in state hospital for 4 days - not related to Covid (OK being checked on Covid before admitting), my wife staying with me in the private room as it is always requested - to name just few...

Edited by Saanim
  • Like 2

Too early to judge how did Thailand fared in this pandemic and how things will unfold once all this will subside, Thailand dropped the ball at the onset of the Covid 2 years ago and paid dearly for it and still paying, as for the OP question, each country is model onto to itself and its hard to say who's model was/is the best..

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Testing its 146th in the world with 246,437 tests per million people. As a comparison Denmark is 8th in the world with 21,030,737 tests per million people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Excess deaths you can add remove countries in the charts here to get comparisons

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Hypothetically, advanced countries will have better treatment for COVID and the ratio of deaths to cases will be lower.  But 'excess deaths' is a very good (best?) metric.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Too early to judge how did Thailand fared in this pandemic and how things will unfold once all this will subside, Thailand dropped the ball at the onset of the Covid 2 years ago and paid dearly for it and still paying, as for the OP question, each country is model onto to itself and its hard to say who's model was/is the best..

Thailand had one of the best records in the world for its dealing with Covid and was classified as in the top six-but it became complacent and it initially failed with its vaccine roll out.  Its other major failure was lack of economic support  for its citizens. But it did well in terms of its low death rates compared to the USA and UK. It was fantastic at controlling authoritarianism compared to China and Australia whose response is best described as unhinged. In my opinion no country in the world has excelled at dealing with covid. Many should be ashamed but Thailand is not necessarily one of them.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Tourism in the case of Thailand- 20% of GDP

GDP fell less than 10% in 2020 while almost all economic sectors were down.  Exporting of manufactured goods are growing and are much more important to a newly industrialized nation's future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So, none really.

As for the economy growing- I don't believe that one for a moment!  No country can adjust to having its main industry wiped out.

In the early days the government said the shortfall in tourism from abroad would be made up with domestic tourism ?

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Actually BoJo's latest move, remove all restrictions, may be the way forwards when "most" are double jabbed / boosted.

The economy needs to get going.

Are you talking about England or UK?

England is a mess. Lead by a liar. He opened to distract from the scandals.

15 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Are you talking about England or UK?

England is a mess. Lead by a liar. He opened to distract from the scandals.

... he ist not so far away from Trump, Putin, Erdoğan ...... Tragically, in this day and age, the list is getting longer and longer.

A few years ago, we were amazed at the political system in certain countries in Africa and South America.
And today, unfortunately, it affects almost the whole world. Barely in power, certain politicians only think of themselves and their friends.
I don't want to say that it was better in the past, but the difference between rich and poor was not so obvious and not so big. The people are taken for fools and are amazed when revolutions break out.
It reminds me more and more of the Sun King in France (Louis XIV), and we all know what came afterwards.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

...Thailand claims to be one step ahead. How wrong they are

Right.  UK and other European countries have already come down from a sharp peak in omicron.  Denmark is a trailblazer in ditching coronavirus restrictions.  If Thailand eases restrictions after their omicron peak, they will be like many other nations.