Could it be Covid safer to take the train rather than the plane?

webfact

The train is for fun, romance and adventure. Planes are faster, safer and cheaper (here). Remember a 12 hour 1st Class "sleeper" when food and beer were served. Wasn't much sleeping going on! Great time, but give me plane over train any day!

• Like 1

Hello ,

Here we go !! Some of that bizarre Thai thinking ????

plane or train there crowded and in closed !! Solution assuring that there both properly cleaned and sanitized , Secondly masking , Frequent hand washing and sanitizing your hands is the solution PERIOD !!

So should I question the Thai thinking or Aseannow.com News !!?? ???? Or both !!?? ???? 

1 hour ago, Howiehotspur said:

It’s near on impossible to catch Covid on a plane … certainly actually in the air .. that’s what the airlines have been saying since practically the start of it … 

But what about on the ground, at the airport and embarking/disembarking. Despite being told to remain seated everyone wants to jump up as soon as the wheels hit the ground. I flew to Krabi in Aug 2020 and CM in Dec 2020 and both flights were quite disconcerting with people's behaviour.

Trains are much safer. On 5th Feb 2020 as the pandemic was kicking off, I travelled from Bangkok to Pedang Besar by train, had to go 2nd class that time. Everyone on the train was wearing masks and got behind the curtains as soon as the beds were made up. You do not sit next to anyone on a sleeper train, it is one person per double seat which converts to a bed. The long distance routes have had new rolling stock in recent years and are quite comfortable.

I would normally try and use first class where you have your own cabin, particularly since they brought in the alcohol ban. It is a dedicated carriage with very few using the toilet facilities.

• Like 1

I trust blowers over trains, minibuses or Hepa filters on flights. The only study I read, granted, it was a linked study by someone else, on how safe air travel with filters is, was done by the airlines themselves. A number of train trips i have been on had serious air con unit blowers. If I was sure to get that, I would take the train.

For some destinations taking the train is great - like taking the sleeper to Chiang Mai - for other destinations it makes the journey too complicated compared to travel by air, for example if you wish to travel from Bangkok to Phuket, or even worse to koh Samui, apart from considering the trip as an experience...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello ,

Here we go !! Some of that bizarre Thai thinking ????

plane or train there crowded and in closed !! Solution assuring that there both properly cleaned and sanitized , Secondly masking , Frequent hand washing and sanitizing your hands is the solution PERIOD !!

So should I question the Thai thinking or Aseannow.com News !!?? ???? Or both !!?? ???? 

The only real solution is for everybody to stop being pussies.  That would be Yankee thinking.

Edited by Joules
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2022 at 2:46 AM, internationalism said:

Airplanes are using the newest HEPA filters and you spend on them 10x less time, than on train. 
nice article, but outdated and sounds like an advert

Time no problem when on holiday . Once in Thailand I use the buses ,trains . I do not use airplanes. I travel down to Penang every 3months  . I go on train no 31 from Bkk to Hat Han Chang trains to the boarder .Immigration  . Get on Malysia train to Butterworth ,then ferry to Penang. Train No 31 has,latest luxurious carriages.

• Like 1

Just now, Percy P said:

Time no problem when on holiday . Once in Thailand I use the buses ,trains . I do not use airplanes. I travel down to Penang every 3months  . I go on train no 31 from Bkk to Hat. Yai Change trains to the boarder .Immigration  . Get on Malysia train to Butterworth ,then ferry to Penang. Train No 31 has,latest luxurious carriages.

T

16 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Time no problem when on holiday . Once in Thailand I use the buses ,trains . I do not use airplanes. I travel down to Penang every 3months  . I go on train no 31 from Bkk to Hat Han Chang trains to the boarder .Immigration  . Get on Malysia train to Butterworth ,then ferry to Penang. Train No 31 has,latest luxurious carriages.

that was pre-covid. For almost 2 years land borders are closed.

I do also use trains extensively, as well as cheaper night couches, but only if I cant use air planes (very heavy luggage, air travel covid requirements etc).

But surely covid risk is higher, because new passengers alighting at each station, stop. Walking next to you along corridor. Sitting very close to you. So on a long 800km train journey I might have next to me 10-20 potentially infected co-travellers. I am very aware of this, but sometimes there is no choice

Edited by internationalism

No. No science to back up that premise. You spend alot less time on a plane, they have high end air filtration systems, and everyone is masked up (whatever that is worth). I would rather fly here. The trains are substandard, they are slow, and they are usually late. Thailand should have been spending the last 4 decades upgrading the train service here. It is a bit like being in India. 

On 2/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, webfact said:

The dreaded Covid virus apparently tends to linger longer, so sitting on a packed airplane flying domestically around Thailand maybe a way to spread the germs.

Therefore, perhaps in the future taking a train could be the answer.

Contradiction much? Plane journeys are usually shorter per given distance. Surely one has a better chance of picking it up while sat on train for 18hrs?