Climber rescued after spending the whole night trapped on rock face

webfact

5pm2.jpg

Daily News Thai caption: Left dangling all night!

A climber who had been meditating in a cave found that when he then went to get down down a cliff face he was neither able to go up nor down. 

He discovered too late that the roots attached to the rock face didn't go all the way down. And by then he was too tired to climb back up, reported Daily News.

Amnuay Rattanachotyo from Songkhla spent the whole night on the rock face at Khao Hua Chang Reservoir after visiting the Hua Chang cave in Phatthalung.

5pm3.jpg

In the morning he was spotted and rescue services swung into action.

50 rescuers helped in the operation that was very difficult and needed a 300 meter long rope to lower the stranded climber to the ground.

This was finally achieved by evening yesterday.

The exhausted climber was pictured smiling before being taken to hospital by medics for a check-up.

Locals said he was a frequent visitor to the area where he would meditate in the cave. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

Not quite correct - he could have come down anytime (with a bump)

Yeah, you know, it’s like you don’t really need a parachute when you want to go skydiving - you only need one when you want to go more than once! ????

9 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Yeah, you know, it’s like you don’t really need a parachute when you want to go skydiving - you only need one when you want to go more than once! ????

As we used to say when somebody asked if one specific potential base site was possible, "everything is possible once"! 

Risking it all for nothing! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

As we used to say when somebody asked if one specific potential base site was possible, "everything is possible once"! 

Risking it all for nothing! 

Yeah, not the smartest move to make. BASE jumping is no joke.

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

as every hill walker, rambler, climber knows, before you set out make sure you can answer the following three questions;

Do I have the right gear?

Do I know what the weather will be like?

Am I confident that I have the knowledge and skills for the day?

Off the top of my head, you missed at least another three vital questions to ask yourself; have I got a fully charged phone with me, did I  tell someone where I was going and for how long, have I got sufficient water/energy bars.