Thai Consulate permanently closed in Adelaide, creates problem for a friend.

Have a friend living in Adelaide who tells me that the Thai consulate is now permanently closed in Adelaide. This makes it very awkward for him as he now has to apply through either Sydney or Canberra for his 90 day Visa. It also presents a problem in as much the application form that he is now required to complete asks for a police report. He has one minor conviction from a few years back that may prohibit him coming. What other alternatives does he have? If he gets a visa on arrival that's only good for 30 days and I don't think it can be extended. I might add that he has been to Thailand many times before, but always got his visa locally in Adelaide, which never asked for a police report.

2 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I      thought  90 day visas  are now a thing of the past, having been stopped some time ago, though I imagine one can   apply for a 60 day, tourist visa, and once in Thailand   get a 30 day extension on that. 

That doesn't help with getting the initial 60 days.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney will not ask for a police clearance unless he is applying for Non-OA visa or STV.

He wants to be able to come on any visa that will allow him to apply for a retirement visa once he's here.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He wants to be able to come on any visa that will allow him to apply for a retirement visa once he's here.

He could enter visa exempt and apply for a non-o visa at immigration and and then a one year extension of stay at immigration.

He will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies for the non-o visa and then 2 months on the day he applies  for the extension of stay.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He could enter visa exempt and apply for a non-o visa at immigration and and then a one year extension of stay at immigration.

He will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies for the non-o visa and then 2 months on the day he applies  for the extension of stay.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is visa exempt?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

He has one minor conviction from a few years back that may prohibit him coming.

Just curious what this "minor conviction" is.  Wouldn't the Thai Consulate explain what sort of criminal conviction would prohibit someone from entering Thailand?  I mean, some crimes are more serious than others.  But I would think those of us who are law abiding citizens would want Thailand to prohibit criminals from coming to Thailand...wouldn't we?

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Just curious what this "minor conviction" is.  Wouldn't the Thai Consulate explain what sort of criminal conviction would prohibit someone from entering Thailand?  I mean, some crimes are more serious than others.  But I would think those of us who are law abiding citizens would want Thailand to prohibit criminals from coming to Thailand...wouldn't we?

Curb your curiosity.????