Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The Russians backed Assad, and have driven many  thousands of refugees into the border area of Turkey, effectively holding them there with medical aid, limited food, no sanitation, as Turkey will not let cross .They are effectively held in a concentration camp.

Putin/Assad, disgusting tyrants both.

Russia did indeed back Assad, and in doing so - among other things - indiscriminately bombed cities and villages in Syria, causing many thousands of innocent civilian deaths. The people of Aleppo cheered when they heard the news about that Russian fighter pilot being downed in Ukraine, since he had bombed the city dozens of times. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tgw said:

I admit the invasion of Ukraine by Putin's orcs has greatly affected me.

I once had great hopes for Russia to join the free world, but this is just a shameful memory now. Shameful for me because I misjudged the Russian people.

I have visited Russia, know some Russian people, made friends.

I had hopes the Russian people would not allow yet another dictator to ru(i)n their lives.
They did the right thing in 1991, but it seems they are hopeless people when it comes to defending their freedom.

The grandmother always warned about the Russians, not to trust them and that they were coming.

At the time, I thought Russia was on the way to join our community of free nations.

I thought Russia would go the same way as Ukraine wanted to go. Ukrainian People defended their freedom in the Orange Revolution and again at the Euromaidan.

But grandmother was right about the Russians.

It's so depressing.

Putin has destroyed a part of my world - some of it physical, most of it spiritual.

He wants to destroy more of it.

That's why he must not be allowed to win.

That's why I'm happy at every Russian plane that gets shot down, happy at every Russian tank that gets popped by a javelin, happy at every Russian general that gets rekt.

Ukraine needs Gandalf to stop these orcs and strike down their evil masters.

Putin's Russia shall not pass.

Thanks for your view.

I just want the war to stop whatever. 

I have worked in Russia among Russian people I like them and was also friends with a Russian couple while there. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say I have mis-judged any Russians in cities and far outside cities they have seen many western things coming to Russia and enjoying many things that have come from the west.

In relatively remote places the communities are very suspicious at first which turns in to crazy party situations.

Putin has messed up Russia's future now and western gov's are not without blame when they did have opportunities for better relationships to evolve.

Russians are told about things by media about the west just the same way as western people are told by the media of Russia.

The way the world has got to where it is now since WW2 is a pretty sad state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Probably better for you to calm down with that tirade you just blasted off. As for referring to Ukraine as a muddy field really just displays your ignorance and one sided stance on the whole situation.

I've been to Ukraine. Muddy fields is the predominant feature, as it is with most of the land from Eastern Europe to the Urals. Some forest of course, some steppe, but, especially when it rains, mainly muddy fields.

Anyway, it was meant as witty rhetoric, to get the conflict into historical and global perspective, so no need for the virtue-signalling.

15 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Maybe he'll take with him the 30% of Ukrainians whose first language is Russian.

Ukraine president's Volodymyr Zelenskyy's first language is Russian! I think he dont want go no place!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

How would this have gone down with American soldiers in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Obvious not experienced soldiers! 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Witty rhetoric it was not. The Russians are not bombing the muddy fields, they are bombing towns, cities, residential area's, medical facilities 18 of those already and killing thousands of civilians on their way.

Now get back in your hole with Putin's propaganda

Very well, let's talk about the cities. Take Kharkiv, Ukraine's second biggest city. This was basically a Russian creation. A hundred years ago Russians were greatly in the majority. Then the Soviets, for reasons of SSR politics sufficient to their own purposes, decided to bring in Ukrainians and make the place capital of Ukraine SSR. Today the population is (as far as I recall - feel free to check) about 65% Ukrainian, 45% Russian.

Given that history and current situation, and geographical location, I'm not sure that makes the place 'properly' Ukrainian, but let that pass. The fact is, there are a sizeable number of people in Kharkiv cheering the Russians on, though of course you won't hear anything about that in the western media. The point is that information like this should certainly influence anyone's understanding of the war and if anyone has come down on Ukraine's side in this war without being aware of the situation in Kharkiv, then their opinion is completely invalid.

Edited by Mr Derek
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

... well, China - having to watch their new boy Vlad Jong-un digging his own (shallow) grave - ain't going to move on Taiwan, here's why:

"... 96.7% of Chinas foreign reserves are in danger of being potentially frozen compared to roughly 50% of the russian ..."

... the gist:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=399&v=xLm5TkmT4og&feature=youtu.be

... the whole schtick:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLm5TkmT4og

Collective sanctions against Russia scare Beijing/Xi Jinping's misjudgment of the Ukraine war

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Very well, let's talk about the cities. Take Kharkiv, Ukraine's second biggest city. This was basically a Russian creation. A hundred years ago Russians were greatly in the majority. Then the Soviets, for reasons of SSR politics sufficient to their own purposes, decided to bring in Ukrainians and make the place capital of Ukraine SSR. Today the population is (as far as I recall - feel free to check) about 65% Ukrainian, 45% Russian.

Given that history and current situation, and geographical location, I'm not sure that makes the place 'properly' Ukrainian, but let that pass. The fact is, there are a sizeable number of people in Kharkiv cheering the Russians on, though of course you won't hear anything about that in the western media. The point is that information like this should certainly influence anyone's understanding of the war and if anyone has come down on Ukraine's side in this war without being aware of the situation in Kharkiv, then their opinion is completely invalid.

You refer to Kharkiv........................a very good example of my previous post of the Russians indiscriminate bombing of cities and in that particular one 100's dead, feel free to check.

Russia bombs a university in Kharkiv and leaves at least four dead - 24  News Recorder

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You refer to Kharkiv........................a very good example of my previous post of the Russians indiscriminate bombing of cities and in that particular one 100's dead, feel free to check.

Russia bombs a university in Kharkiv and leaves at least four dead - 24  News Recorder

You didn't listen to a word I said, did you?

23 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... well, China - having to watch their new boy Vlad Jong-un digging his own (shallow) grave - ain't going to move on Taiwan, here's why:

"... 96.7% of Chinas foreign reserves are in danger of being potentially frozen compared to roughly 50% of the russian ..."

... the gist:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=399&v=xLm5TkmT4og&feature=youtu.be

... the whole schtick:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLm5TkmT4og

Collective sanctions against Russia scare Beijing/Xi Jinping's misjudgment of the Ukraine war

I wish I could believe that....but.

56 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

The fact is, there are a sizeable number of people in Kharkiv cheering the Russians on, though of course you won't hear anything about that in the western media.

Source information? Link?

You appear to be stereo-typing people of Russian ancestry as supporting Putin's Russia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Derek said:

Even if true, not sure if it is or not, does that mean it's OK for a country to invade another country, bombing and killing indiscriminately, just to 'liberate' a minority population of a city who might happen to prefer Russian to Ukrainian identity. In a sense even if it is true who cares. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Even if true, not sure if it is or not, does that mean it's OK for a country to invade another country, bombing and killing indiscriminately, just to 'liberate' a minority population of a city who might happen to prefer Russian to Ukrainian identity. In a sense even if it is true who cares. 

There will be Quislings in every country, so not surprised! 

The war could have been Alot worse from what I see from the footage around that have been released. Big crowds chasing soldiers, people who physically stop tanks, to the elderly couple who chasing the soldiers out from what's looks like their own gardens! With nervous and trigger happy soldiers it can lead to Alot more casualties than we so far have seen, but it will come sooner or later, when the soldiers learn attacks can come from anywhere and anyone.

Some will use other humans as shields to provoke panic attacks, something that have been used as a weapon in many wars that give  horrifying live pictures to be used as propaganda. Let's hope that will not happening in this war.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The war could have been a lot worse? Tell that to the innocent injured and dead.

I get that point, but it will be worse before it gets better, and it is not over yet

• Like 1

The destruction and horror cannot get much worse than it is already, at what point will this be described as Genocide?

AFP

#UPDATE A mosque in the southeastern Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, where 80 civilians were taking shelter, has been shelled by Russian forces, Ukraine's foreign ministry said on Saturday

Edited by Bkk Brian