Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was just reading a Russian media source (RIA Novosti) with Google translate from a twitter link and the theme of it was clearly that Ukraine needs to not exist. A total annihilation of Ukraine and a name change. [...]

Many people have noticed that the official goals of the Special Mission are complete nonsense. Officially, Russia would like to perform "denacification" of the Ukraine and then go back quickly. Is it possible? Of course not. Because even if you "denacify" the Ukraine, Zelenskyy will cancel everything 2-3 months later. And what`s next? Repeat the Special mission every 2-3 months and pay thousands of people lives for it?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Maybe Vlad should de-nazify his own country first. Starting with that horrible Wagner group, which seems to be the Kremlin’s pet terror organization.

The Russian nazi Wagner group is now in Donetsk, Ukraine doing their thing, this from Bellingcat:

"Wagner mercenaries spotted in Donetsk. Photo, released by a GRU-linked blogger, made in front of Park Inn hotel where @OSCE was housed until recently (thus photo = now). Many of the Wagnerites are true Nazies, as some of them have told me. The irony."

FPe9xsWXMAAegcb.jpg.baa59e8c509b55adb151a79b1bb425e7.jpg

Edited by Bkk Brian

43 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

They are only a temporary pretext for the invasion.
The main goal is to re-establish the former Soviet Union:
https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-putin-ukraine-invasion-trying-to-restore-soviet-union-2022-2

Of course the Ukrainian statehood will be destroyed during this process.
For tactical reasons, this is now not spoken openly. Vlad is waiting for the society to be ready for realising the real goals of this Special Mission.

Your tone indicates that you think it's a done deal that war criminal Putin will succeed in erasing Ukrainian statehood. It turns out he has a lot more global resistance to that goal than he bargained for.

4 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

The resistance of the West stems from the Russian inability to use nuclear weapons now. So the West behaves as if Russia did not have nuclear weapons. As If Russia were Iraq or Lybia.
This inability will persist for several more months for this reason:

Incomprehensible. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

The resistance of the West stems from the Russian inability to use nuclear weapons now. So the West behaves as if Russia did not have nuclear weapons. As If Russia were Iraq or Lybia.
This inability will persist for several more months for this reason:

I think everyone here should stop feeding this troll.  Just ignore him. In fact I have just remembered the ignored users list so I shall add him to it on him now.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I think everyone here should stop feeding this troll.  Just ignore him. In fact I have just remembered the ignored users list so I shall add him to it on him now.

I like his comments,it's refreshing.

He gets 7 replies for every one comment so there must be something in the pudding.

This thread would self destruct if it was just hand claps all round.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Ninety years ago, Joseph Stalin’s Soviet regime inflicted a devastating famine on Ukraine, killing 3.9 million people in what became known as the Holodomor, or genocide by hunger.

Now Vladimir Putin, whose invasion has stalled on the battlefield, is trying to starve Ukraine into submission again.

Russian troops have laid waste to farmland, destroying agricultural equipment and planting landmines in the rich soil where crops should grow.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-starvation-of-a-nation-how-putin-is-using-hunger-as-a-weapon-in-ukraine/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I agree with you. The factor of elites can protect only to a certain degree. It does not guarantee 100% protection.
That is why Western countries are increasing their aid to Ukraine very carefully.
At first there were only minor deliveries for basic needs. Gradually, the volume, quality (and lethality) of deliveries increases. I am sure that 1-2 months later they will try to deliver medium-range missiles reaching Moscow.

I don't think so.

But I do hope the West ups its game and delivers to Ukraine everything it needs to beat Russia in that localized conventional war:

* That includes tools to make the sky too dangerous for the Russian air force (I don't believe Ukraine can get air superiority). So, many radar and SAM systems. I hope many countries send such air defence systems to Ukraine.

* That also includes better bombardment capabilities, for example short range ballistic missiles and short range cruise missiles, up to 1000Km. bye bye Russian bases,  Russian ships, naval base Sevastopol, bye bye fuel depots, bye bye ammunition depots. Ukraine needs a handful of thousands of these missiles to strike everything Russian military up to 500 Km within Russia.

* more drones. surveillance drones, fighting drones and electronic warfare drones.

Germany will send 60 AFV

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2022/04/04/germany-sends-to-ukraine-ex-east-german-ifvs-based-on-soviet-bmp-1/

Poland will send soviet-era Tanks and get Abrahms in return from US

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/us/politics/us-tanks-ukraine.html

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-crisis-us-set-to-sell-abrams-tanks-to-poland/a-60829872

and I hope, someone, finally, will also provide planes !!!

• Like 2

Just now, tgw said:

I don't think so.

But I do hope the West ups its game and delivers to Ukraine everything it needs to beat Russia in that localized conventional war:

* That includes tools to make the sky too dangerous for the Russian air force (I don't believe Ukraine can get air superiority). So, many radar and SAM systems. I hope many countries send such air defence systems to Ukraine.

* That also includes better bombardment capabilities, for example short range ballistic missiles and short range cruise missiles, up to 1000Km. bye bye Russian bases,  Russian ships, naval base Sevastopol, bye bye fuel depots, bye bye ammunition depots. Ukraine needs a handful of thousands of these missiles to strike everything Russian military up to 500 Km within Russia.

* more drones. surveillance drones, fighting drones and electronic warfare drones.

Germany will send 60 AFV

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2022/04/04/germany-sends-to-ukraine-ex-east-german-ifvs-based-on-soviet-bmp-1/

Poland will send soviet-era Tanks and get Abrahms in return from US

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/us/politics/us-tanks-ukraine.html

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-crisis-us-set-to-sell-abrams-tanks-to-poland/a-60829872

and I hope, someone, finally, will also provide planes !!!

I guess Ukraine has more pilots available now than planes, so I hope these pilots have already spent one month at F-16 flight school ! One or two months more and they are ready to fly with their new toys.

6 hours ago, friendofthai said:

I agree with you. The factor of elites can protect only to a certain degree. It does not guarantee 100% protection.
That is why Western countries are increasing their aid to Ukraine very carefully.
At first there were only minor deliveries for basic needs. Gradually, the volume, quality (and lethality) of deliveries increases. I am sure that 1-2 months later they will try to deliver medium-range missiles reaching Moscow.

The Russians have set themselves up for a protracted asymmetric war with a well trained, motivated military and non conventional opponent that has a limitless access to sophisticated and lethal portable weaponry.

There is absolutely no need to supply any weapons capable of reaching Moscow or anywhere much beyond Ukrainian’s borders.

The Ukrainians will fertilize Ukrainian soil with Russian blood.

Russia will keep sending its youth to catch Ukrainian bullets and shrapnel until it dawns on them the cost isn’t worth paying. 

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I dare say Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic thought they were perfectly fine when the International Court opened cases against them, especially with them being on the winning side in Serbia, and all.

Didn't work out too well for them in the end though, did it?

LOL. Serbia doesn't have nuclear weapons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1