Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

14 hours ago, tgw said:

Damaged Russian warship is afloat, Pentagon says, amid conflicting reports from Ukraine and Russia

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-14-22/index.html

Although these news caused me slight disappointment, I think there is a third possible cause for the fire: sabotage. that would be worse than incompetence or act of war.

Apparently afloat no longer. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61114843

• Like 2

Russian state TV is attempting to make excuses as to why the Special operation is taking so long. They are claiming this has already escalated into WW111 and Russia is fighting Ukraine and NATO.

VIDEO And here we have it - in a rant seemingly aimed at explaining to viewers why the "special operation in Ukraine" is taking so long, Russian state TV presenter Olga Skabeyeva says her country is fighting World War Three against Nato I've added subtitles

Russia warns US to stop arming Ukraine

Russia this week sent an official diplomatic note to the United States warning that US and NATO deliveries of the “most sensitive” weapons systems to Ukraine were “fueling” the conflict there and could have consequences. “unforeseeable consequences”.

“What the Russians are telling us privately is precisely what we’ve been telling the world publicly – that the massive aid we’ve provided to our Ukrainian partners is proving extraordinarily effective,” a senior administration official said. who spoke on the condition of anonymity on the sensitive diplomatic document.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/04/14/russia-warns-us-stop-arming-ukraine/

If above link is Paywall you can also get a free version here:

https://reelslug.com/russia-warns-us-to-stop-arming-ukraine/

• Like 2

Catch up and overtake America. That was a slogan of Khrushchev’s times in USSR. Which led to another Soviet joke (it was especially popular among Soviet scientists back then): it is ok to catch up America. But we better not to overtake it because then they will see our naked as* (an idiom, meaning somebody’s “true situation”, as opposed to the one a person wants to present to the world). 

Thanks to this war, the whole world was able to see the true worth of the Putin's regime, its “naked as*”.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Virt said:

There is probably some nasty things that will leak, but i would be more concerned about it's ability to launch nuclear warheads. Did they have any nuclear weapons on board or only conventional weapons.

The Moskva no longer has any ability to launch any warheads, conventional or nuclear.

Though it is very clearly exploding bombs in the Kremlin.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Moskva no longer has any ability to launch any warheads, conventional or nuclear.

Though it is very clearly exploding bombs in the Kremlin.

True i was just thinking about the possibility of nuclear warheads on the bottom of the sea and what it might cause of damage.

Just now, Virt said:

True i was just thinking about the possibility of nuclear warheads on the bottom of the sea and what it might cause of damage.

Article on it here although apparently not too much to worry about.

The Ukrainian industry portal Defense Express, in turn, reports that the Moskva cruiser may have nuclear warheads. 

According to Defense Express, in the short term, there is no risk of a possible explosion of these missiles in the event of a sinking of the cruiser. As the portal emphasizes, there are currently about 10 reactors, about 10 torpedoes and about 20 ballistic missiles at the bottom of the seas and oceans, most of which ended up there as a result of accidents on Soviet ships that took place from the 1960s to the 1980s.

https://dip.org.ua/en/russia/experts-say-cruiser-moskva-may-have-nuclear-warheads/

• Thanks 1

With every new loss suffered by Russia, the world moves closer to the prospect of nuclear war.

According to the CIA, the sinking of the Russian warship in the Black Sea could be enough to tip President Vladimir Putin over the edge.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/risk-of-nuclear-war-increases-after-big-blow-to-russia-sinking-of-warship/news-story/e78589716a54acc34af96c9b9505772f

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

They are claiming this has already escalated into WW111 and Russia is fighting Ukraine and NATO.

okay, so let's recapitulate, NATO is not in Ukraine, which means that so far Russia has lost 20.000 soldiers (how many wounded?) , 750 tanks, 150 planes, 140 helos, 2000 apv, 1500 trucks, and now a capital ship, all while fighting against NOT NATO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So Ukraine and the west is supposed to intentionally lose to Putin, this era's Hitler because of his threats?

no, but I think the West should give Russia all assurances and guarantees that its 1990 borders are totally safe.

and maybe also the assurance that the rights of Russian minorities will be respected in areas that were de-facto colonized / russified by the Soviets.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, I think Putin is losing a lot of friends (or should I say cronies?) really fast:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/14/germany-superyacht-seized-russian-oligarch-dilbar/

“World’s largest yacht, linked to Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, seized by Germany”.

Maybe these billionaires can stage a coup against Putin, just so they can play with their expensive toys again.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Shall we pretend that it’s only Putin who is concerned by the military defeats, losses of equipment and men and that the sinking of the Moskva hasn’t caused anyone else in Russia to start thinking about where all this is headed?

It should be headed to the end of Putin ASAP. He knows that too obviously. Thus the desperation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Maybe these billionaires can stage a coup against Putin, just so they can play with their expensive toys again.

How? They have lost their power with their money.

Edited by Chris.B

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's not a perfect world.

even in 1990, there were plenty of Russian territories with a disputed status.

security of Russia is not only the excuse used by Putin for his war, but also a major concern for many Russians, especially those in the military or in the power structure.

the West must leave no ambiguity about the conflict posing no potential existential threat to Russia's security and territorial integrity.

But there is an existential threat to Putin.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

How? They have lost their power with their money.

If there is one thing I know about rich people, it’s that they never have all their wealth in one location, but it’s spread over many different locations (bank accounts) and ‘investments’. You can also bet your life that they have quite a few secret stashes of money and/or gold (bitcoins?) hidden away. 

Besides, their ill-gotten fortunes are very difficult to trace and locate anyway:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60608282

So my guess is that if these billionaires wanted to raise enough money to get rid of Putin, that would not a problem for them.