Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

11 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

If I were him I’d stay put. I think he would qualify for political asylum, even in a country like Switzerland. 

Not even there will he beyond the long poisonous needle or umbrella tip of the Putin pussbots 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:16 PM, placeholder said:

This addition to the the Ukrainian armory will, I think both figuratively and literally sink the Russians.

Exclusive: U.S. aims to arm Ukraine with advanced anti-ship missiles to fight Russian blockade

The White House is working to put advanced anti-ship missiles in the hands of Ukrainian fighters to help defeat Russia's naval blockade, officials said, amid concerns more powerful weapons that could sink Russian warships would intensify the conflict.

Ukraine has made no secret it wants more advanced U.S. capabilities beyond its current inventory of artillery, Javelin and Stinger missiles, and other arms. Kyiv's list, for example, includes missiles that could push the Russian navy away from its Black Sea ports, allowing the restart of shipments of grain and other agricultural products worldwide.

https://www.reuters.com/world/exclusive-us-aims-arm-ukraine-with-advanced-anti-ship-missiles-fight-russian-2022-05-19/

U.S said Denmark would send harpoon missiles to Ukraine. 

If that's correct i hope those missiles gets a nice new home.

Right smack inside a russian warship.

With love from Denmark...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virt said:

U.S said Denmark would send harpoon missiles to Ukraine. 

If that's correct i hope those missiles gets a nice new home.

Right smack inside a russian warship.

With love from Denmark...

Harpoons are still short range weapons, I wish Ukraine would receive missiles with an operational range of 1000 to 2000 Km, so they could strike Russian ships, especially cruise missile launchers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Not even there will he beyond the long poisonous needle or umbrella tip of the Putin pussbots 

Agreed. But the choice between going back to Russia and asylum in Switzerland is not a hard one, IMO. Just look at what happened to Navalny when he went back. 

Reported off topic post removed.

Meaningless link post removed. Please do not post just a link ! If you cant be bothered to intro it or give some informationas as to what its related to etc it will be removed, along with any post quoting it.

Link with pay wall content removed , do not use these please.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Russia’s highest ranking airforce commander killed:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-botashev-commander-killed-1709596

Interesting, this retired General who got shot down had a somewhat checkered past, from your link:

"he was dismissed from the military in 2013 when he was accused of crashing an Su-27 fighter near the city of Petrozavodsk, which he did not have permission to fly."

Then according to the original BBC report he was sentenced to four years probation and a fine of 5 million rubles for crashing a plane.

The tweet below links to the original BBC report:

The BBC confirmed Ukraine's claim that retired Russian Major General Kanamat Botashev was shot down, possibly by a Stinger MANPADS, in a Su-25 aircraft near Popasna on Sunday and killed. It appears he was flying for Wagner.

image.png.729e474b0fcc08158ad6bb06bb22c1b8.png

• Like 1

Putin seems intent on creating a worldwide famine as part of his strategy to conquer Ukraine. Its similar to Holodomor but global and could end up being far more serious.

From Russian State TV:

I'm hearing this message on multiple programs broadcast by Russian state TV, it must be one of their mandatory assignments. The gist of it: yes, there will be global hunger, but those who have good relations with Russia won't starve. Primitive, cruel and callous Russian agitprop.

The satellite images provided by Maxar Technologies have spotted the Russian ships being loaded with Ukrainian grain at the temporarily occupied Crimean port of Sevastopol.

Russia is using food supplies as a weapon with global repercussions, acting the same way as it does in the energy sector, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said

Blinken Accuses Russia of Using Food as a Weapon in Ukraine

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, the head of the EU’s executive arm said about 20 million tons of wheat are currently stuck in Ukraine.

“And on top of this, Russia is now hoarding its own food exports as a form of blackmail – holding back supplies to increase global prices, or trading wheat in exchange for political support,” she said. “This is using hunger and grain to wield power.”

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

Russia launches all-out assault to encircle Ukrainian troops in twin cities straddling eastern river 

Bloody battles are raging on Ukraine's eastern frontline today as Russia launches an all-out effort to surround and capture two key cities in the Donbas in what could prove a pivotal moment for Putin's war.

Heavy fighting is today underway to the south, west and north of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk - sister cities straddling the Donets River in Ukraine's industrial heartland, where it is thought thousands of Ukrainian troops are trying to hold the line against mounting assaults.

Lung-crushing thermobaric rockets were filmed pounding Lyman, 30 miles to the west of the cities, late Monday and into Tuesday as Moscow's forces stormed into the outskirts in an attempt to capture one of the last remaining Ukrainian stronghold on the eastern bank of the river, opening the way for a pincer movement to the south.

58243311-10850061-image-a-2_1653432605872.jpg

Daily Mail

Kissinger mouthing off at Davos:

"Kissinger's comments imply that Ukraine should accept a peace deal to restore the situation to what it was before February 24, where Russia formally controlled the Crimea peninsula and informally controlled part of the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian officials have opposed the idea that they should give up any territory".

Kissinger says Ukraine must give up land to Russia, warns West not to seek to humiliate Putin with defeat (yahoo.com)

So, Russia marches in, commits atrocities and war crimes by the score, and is allowed to leave again unpunished?  Let's just sweep it all under the carpet and carry on the way things were before, as if nothing ever happened.  Until it happens again.  Rather appropriate from a man with his warmongering history.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Russia launches all-out assault to encircle Ukrainian troops in twin cities straddling eastern river 

Bloody battles are raging on Ukraine's eastern frontline today as Russia launches an all-out effort to surround and capture two key cities in the Donbas in what could prove a pivotal moment for Putin's war.

Heavy fighting is today underway to the south, west and north of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk - sister cities straddling the Donets River in Ukraine's industrial heartland, where it is thought thousands of Ukrainian troops are trying to hold the line against mounting assaults.

Lung-crushing thermobaric rockets were filmed pounding Lyman, 30 miles to the west of the cities, late Monday and into Tuesday as Moscow's forces stormed into the outskirts in an attempt to capture one of the last remaining Ukrainian stronghold on the eastern bank of the river, opening the way for a pincer movement to the south.

58243311-10850061-image-a-2_1653432605872.jpg

Daily Mail

Isn't there a large river running down in North easterly direction in that area that could be used as a barrier line.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Kissinger mouthing off at Davos:

"Kissinger's comments imply that Ukraine should accept a peace deal to restore the situation to what it was before February 24, where Russia formally controlled the Crimea peninsula and informally controlled part of the Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian officials have opposed the idea that they should give up any territory".

Kissinger says Ukraine must give up land to Russia, warns West not to seek to humiliate Putin with defeat (yahoo.com)

So, Russia marches in, commits atrocities and war crimes by the score, and is allowed to leave again unpunished?  Let's just sweep it all under the carpet and carry on the way things were before, as if nothing ever happened.  Until it happens again.  Rather appropriate from a man with his warmongering history.

Yes, lets have an all-out nuclear exchange to satisfy your lust for revenge. That way we can turn this earth into a bowl of radioactive dust and no one will get anything.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Isn't there a large river running down in North easterly direction in that area that could be used as a barrier line.

errr, the bit about "twin cities straddling eastern river" could be a clue?

I'm wondering when Russia will run out of munitions. It is expending arms and lives at an unprecedented rate, and the manufacturing of replacements and recruitment of soldiers (poorly trained ones ) are both degraded. Who wants to serve in a military where the equipment is demonstrably inferior, and the senior officers treat their soldiers as expendables?

In contrast, the Ukrainians have more and more motivated soldiers coming on stream, with ever increasing high tech weapons supplied by a range of countries.

IMO the only way for Russia to avoid complete military disaster is for Putin to be assassinated, or start using nukes.

• Like 1

82% of Ukrainians oppose territorial concessions - poll

Some 82% of Ukrainians believe that Ukraine should not give away any territory as part of a peace deal with Russia, according to a new survey by one of the country's top pollsters. The huge majority said they did not support territorial concessions, even if it prolonged the war and increased the threat to Ukraine's independence, according to the poll conducted by the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology.

The War Won’t End Until Putin Loses Offering the Russian president a face-saving compromise will only enable future aggression.

Russian troops’ behavior in this war demonstrates that there is no international agreement that Putin can be counted on to respect. Regardless of what he might promise during peace negotiations, Western officials would have to assume that any Ukrainian populations handed over to Russia would be subject to arrests, terror, mass theft, and rape on an unprecedented scale; that Ukrainian cities would be incorporated into Russia against the will of the public; and that, as in 2014, when Russian proxies in the Donbas agreed to a truce, any cease-fire would be temporary, lasting only as long as it would take for the Russian army to regroup, rearm, and start again. 

31 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

errr, the bit about "twin cities straddling eastern river" could be a clue?

Where Russia will draw a line in the sand as a future border between Russia and Ukraine I  reckon. 

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Where Russia will draw a line in the sand as a future border between Russia and Ukraine I  reckon. 

NO, not IMO, they have proved they cannot be trusted with those currently in the lead .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm wondering when Russia will run out of munitions. It is expending arms and lives at an unprecedented rate, and the manufacturing of replacements and recruitment of soldiers (poorly trained ones ) are both degraded. Who wants to serve in a military where the equipment is demonstrably inferior, and the senior officers treat their soldiers as expendables?

In contrast, the Ukrainians have more and more motivated soldiers coming on stream, with ever increasing high tech weapons supplied by a range of countries.

IMO the only way for Russia to avoid complete military disaster is for Putin to be assassinated, or start using nukes.

Maybe this is their last gasp, or, to use a better analogy, a Hail Mary throw. They're going to use up pretty much all the artillery and cruise missiles they have and then dig in.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

9 hours ago report.

This is just the beginning.  

bbc.com world news.

Edited by Rimmer
Hotlink added to existing dead link
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm not into tech stuff sorry only motorbikes. 

I thought what I posted was enough to get to the report. 

Your able to post links and images as demonstrated in other posts you've made, perhaps its a selective tech amnesia when the post contains no relevance to the post you were replying to

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm not into tech stuff sorry only motorbikes. 

I thought what I posted was enough to get to the report. 

It was but that's not the point. Admins have said time and time again to post links or have your posts deleted and I'm sure you already know that. Don't expect everyone who reads your post to individually have to go search for your reference, especially since the post will eventually become very old.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1