Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

39 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Lukashenko has said He will move a thousand troops to help Putin. As this is not Russia NATO troops can mount attacks on them as their not Russian so Putin can't complain NATO is aiding Ukraine against Russia. Other news is Jens Stoltenberg Secretary General of Nato, and France's president Macron have both come out saying Russia is committing war crimes by deliberately targeting Civilians and infrastructure and will be held Accountable for the Actions.

Actually, not.  Belarus is part of the Collective Security Treaty Organization:

"The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO)[3] is an intergovernmental military alliance in Eurasia consisting of six post-Soviet states: Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan. The Collective Security Treaty has its origins in the Soviet Armed Forces, which was replaced in 1992 by the United Armed Forces of the Commonwealth of Independent States, and was then itself replaced by the successor armed forces of the respective independent states.

Similar to Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty and the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance, Article 4 of the Collective Security Treaty (CST) establishes that an aggression against one signatory would be perceived as an aggression against all."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_Security_Treaty_Organization

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Couple of bullet points from the latest ISW report also confirming what GCHQ head said about dwindling ammo:

* Russian forces cannot supply mobilized forces, likely due to years of supply theft by contract soldiers and commanders.

* The October 10 Russian attacks wasted some of Russia’s dwindling precision weapons against civilian targets, as opposed to militarily significant targets.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-october-10

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jvs said:

When are you going?Or are you suggesting i am going?

I have said many times before,the Ukrainians are fighting for all of us

against the Russian evil.

We all pay for the war but the people from the Ukraine pay in flesh

and blood.

Not sure what to make of your response but have a nice day.

Why on earth would I go to fight for the Ukrainians when it's nothing to do with me? I certainly don't believe they are fighting for me.

I said right before it started that if Ukraine gave up some land, and any idea of joining EU or NATO it likely would never have happened at all. No need for all the destruction and death.

I was responding to the statement that other countries should go to war in Ukraine, and IMO if anyone feels like that, perhaps they should go fight for what they apparently believe, and not expect other people to do so.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

yeah, well, who are you to tell Ukrainians what to do and if they wanted to join the EU, why should they ask your permission or Putin's ? and they should give up some land ? for real now ?

Come on man, where did I tell Ukraine to do anything, and do you prefer what happened to negotiating an exchange of land for peace? The dead would, I'm sure.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Come on man, where did I tell Ukraine to do anything, and do you prefer what happened to negotiating an exchange of land for peace? The dead would, I'm sure.

by any chance do you own a house with some land, would it be ok for somebody to illegally come and grab it or part of it from you, would you fight for it or you would try to negotiate and maybe give concessions to get back what originally was yours

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only countries to vote against this resolution were Belarus, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russia and Syria.

Ukraine: UN General Assembly demands Russia reverse course on ‘attempted illegal annexation’

The UN General Assembly passed a resolution by a large majority on Wednesday, calling on countries not to recognise the four regions of Ukraine which Russia has claimed, following so-called referendums held late last month, and demanding that Moscow reverse course on its "attempted illegal annexation".

Immediate reversal

The resolution now passed in the Assembly, calls on all States, the UN and international organisations not to recognize any of Russia’s annexation claim and demands the immediate reversal of its annexation declaration.

Civilian areas bombarded

Since Monday morning, Russia has launched dozens of missiles targeting civilian areas of multiple Ukrainian cities, leading to dozens of deaths and injuries, in retaliation for the bombing of Russia’s bridge to Crimea on Saturday. 

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/10/1129492

UN General Assembly Resolution Condemning Russia’s Attempted Annexation of Ukraine’s Territory

Today’s remarkable vote at the United Nations General Assembly is a powerful reminder that the overwhelming majority of nations stand with Ukraine, in defense of the UN Charter, and in resolute opposition to Russia’s ongoing war against Ukraine and its people.

Territorial integrity is a central pillar of the United Nations, and Russia’s violent contempt for Ukraine’s national borders and sovereignty cannot and will not be accepted.  By adopting this resolution, the assembled nations made clear: they will not tolerate an attempt by any UN Member State to seize land by force.  

https://www.state.gov/un-general-assembly-resolution-condemning-russias-attempted-annexation-of-ukraines-territory/

image.jpeg.9916d73f430e780c1b41939e27acb890.jpeg

On 10/12/2022 at 1:44 PM, LosLobo said:

Your flawed original and still current assessment that if Ukraine gave up joining Nato and some land, the war would have not happened is not support by facts.

At the start NATO never had any plans for Ukraine to join NATO and later Ukraine even offered to never seek membership. Putin never sought to discuss this offer or withdraw his attack.

It is clear that the main reasons for the war is that a free and democratic, west-facing Ukraine would jeopardize Putin's authoritarian rule in Russia, he considers Ukraine is part of Russia and it has no right to democracy, and he wants to roll back the clock to 1991 before the collapse of the USSR.

Obviously, you have not read most of the factual information about the Ukraine/Russia war posted here. Perhaps you at least attempt to contemplate a view that does not agree with your flawed alternate one.

Ukraine will not join Nato, says Zelenskiy, as shelling of Kyiv continues | Ukraine | The Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKblujiRyk

You have zero knowledge of what I have or have not read, so I suggest you give up the personal comments and stay on topic.

My opinion is not dependent on your approval, just as yours is not dependent on mine.

A deflection post leading to multiple bickering posts have all been removed.

This topic is not about why, it is the go to topic for discussing what is happening now in Ukraine, in this respect it is as up to date as the regular posters here can make it, and many thanks to them for their efforts.  Lets keep it like that please ????

• Like 2