Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

Russian missiles were once again taunting Ukraine from the sky as we entered this prisoner of war facility in the west of the country.

Hundreds of captured Russian soldiers, conscripts, and mercenaries are held in these gritty buildings - one of 50 sites around Ukraine where they are detained.

The crump of Ukrainian air defences could be heard in the distance as we were led into a basement, to be met with the sight of dozens of prisoners taking shelter from the Russian attack.

Prisoner exchanges have become a regular feature of this war and for Kyiv it is crucial that they continue. Ukraine said this month it had secured the release of 1,762 men and women so far in prisoner swaps. These are highly sensitive operations, often taking months to arrange.

Under the Geneva Conventions, prisoners of war must not be paraded or exposed to the public.

• Like 2

Wagner chief slams 'bureaucracy' slowing Russian offensive

The head of Russia's mercenary outfit Wagner said on Thursday it could take months to capture the embattled Ukraine city of Bakhmut and slammed Moscow's "monstrous bureaucracy" for slowing military gains.

Russia has been trying to encircle and capture the battered industrial city ahead of February 24, the first anniversary of what it terms its "special military operation" in Ukraine.

"I think it's (going to be in) March or in April," Wagner head Yevgeny Prigozhin said in one of several messages posted online.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230216-wagner-chief-says-russia-s-monstrous-bureacracy-impeding-ukraine-fight

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Thousands of Ukrainians are arriving in the UK as civilians and returning home as skilled soldiers ready for battle.

In five weeks, 10,000 of the volunteers have learned the international laws of armed conflict, trench warfare, urban fighting, weapons handling and firing, medical training and dealing with explosives.

The recruits are part of Operation Interflex, which is held at secret locations across the UK, to help Ukrainians fight and survive despite the onslaught of Russian invaders.

First thing I thought when I read that was that it's too short at 5 weeks, so I checked how long the British army basic training takes and I reckon I'm right about that.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0138.html

There are 23 weeks of military training, which include basic or advanced soldiering, progressive physical training, infantry weapons, grenades, military leadership, marksmanship, parade ground drill. There is also a two week final exercise in the field.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Does anyone think China cares about sanctions? All they have to do is to cut off the supply of rare earth metals to the west and they are the ones laughing.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

First thing I thought when I read that was that it's too short at 5 weeks, so I checked how long the British army basic training takes and I reckon I'm right about that.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0138.html

There are 23 weeks of military training, which include basic or advanced soldiering, progressive physical training, infantry weapons, grenades, military leadership, marksmanship, parade ground drill. There is also a two week final exercise in the field.

It is too short but Ukraine is already a year into a big war, with huge casualties, so everything gets chopped down, unfortunately. 

38 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Just read in a Dutch online newspaper that The Netherlands are going to expel another 10 Russian ‘diplomats’. The Russian trade representation in Amsterdam is going to have to close as well.
I guess relations between the two countries are at a new low. Good. Hit them where it hurts. Now all the EU has to do is confiscate all the seized assets and money from blacklisted Russian oligarchs and hand it over to Ukraine so they can keep financing their war against the fascist and terrorist regime in Moscow. 

It would be fair. However, I am not sure there is a legal framework allowing it.