Opinion: With the Pattaya music festival postponed and Songkran at risk for the third year in a row, what’s the exit strategy? When do we truly “live” with Covid-19 in Thailand?

webfact

1645739913586-1024x764.jpg

By Adam Judd

Does it feel like Groundhog day to anyone out there?

It should. Once again major events have been postponed/canceled by authorities in Pattaya due to Covid-19 concerns. Once again more events, including the biggest of the year, Songkran, the Thai new year/water festival is at risk for strict rules.

Now, to be fair, the postponing of the music festival in Pattaya was apparently a decision based on national “advice” from the Thai government around the current Covid-19 alert being “Level 4”. Amongst other things, this discourages inter provincial travel which is the main reason the event was postponed, as authorities were concerned about people traveling from rural provinces or areas and bringing Covid back home.

Chonburi is, by the way, the highest vaccinated province in Thailand and the booster program is moving along nicely, according to the Chonburi Public Health Department.

Pattaya individually as a tourism “Blue” zone is well over 90 percent double vaccinated according to the Mayor, Sonthaya Khunpluem, and the booster program has been taking place on a regular basis.

Despite high numbers of Covid-19 cases, Chonburi deaths and serious cases (pneumonia and on a ventilator) remain very low. This is likely driven by high vaccination rates in the area. Yet, restrictions remain, events are postponed or canceled, and the nightlife and bar industry, a huge part of the local economy in Pattaya whether people like it or not, continues to be stifled by rules and restrictions like no dancing, no singing from customers, no pool, early closing times, required antigen tests to enter, and other rules.

Granted, as we have covered previously, large parts of Thailand still have fairly low vaccination rates, especially in rural areas. These areas also have nowhere near the hospital or medical capacity Chonburi does, or Phuket, or Bangkok. So I certainly understand officials being overly cautious as cases rise. I get it.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/25/opinion-with-the-pattaya-music-festival-postponed-and-songkran-at-risk-for-the-third-year-in-a-row-whats-the-exit-strategy-when-do-we-truly-live-with-covid19-in-thailand/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The biggest problem of Thailand is that they want to live normal again, but a few months back they opened the country too soon, with too less people vaccinated with good working vaccines. Although there was a lot of comments not to open the country they did not listen and now this is the result. If they had waited a few months more and vaccinated more and better things would have been better. In Europe they did the same and more people were vaccinated..... better wait a bit longer and loose the restrictions slowly and now everything is almost back to normal again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Life need to move on, there are vaccines, booster , therapeutics , masks available for those who need them. Let people make that choice. Educate people about hygiene and making right decisions. Save old , vulnerable and who are in need. Now is the time to get economy going.

Edited by RandiRona
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There is no exit strategy.

This illegal government are loving the fact that they can jerk it's poorer citizens around on their strings.

Prayut working on his authoritarianism plan as always.

If he remains in power or the senate remain in their present capacity it will become a virtually totalitarian country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Songkran will happen I bet.

Domestic travel is not busy now.  My observation was these previous music festivals were not well attended anyway.

Songkran not at risk. All travel restrictions lifted but minimal precautions stay in place such masks.

2/24/2022

www.thaipbsworld.com

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Prayut working on his authoritarianism plan as always.

If he remains in power or the senate remain in their present capacity it will become a virtually totalitarian country.

It already is, but it's masquerading as a democracy.  

Opinion: With the Pattaya music festival postponed and Songkran at risk for the third year in a row, what’s the exit strategy? When do we truly “live” with Covid-19 in Thailand?

Acceptance.  Accept that the Thai leadership have no plans to returning to 'normal' and then make your own plans accordingly. 
It that interferes with your life, check out countries that are more open.  If it doesn't effect your life?  Stay and enjoy. 
I'm not here for Songkran or music festivals.  My Thai family is here.  So I'm not effected, especially out here in rural Thailand.  I enjoy my family, my garden, my dogs, cat, and bird.  Have a beer every blue moon.  Life is good.
I plan to hang out and enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Songkran not at risk. All travel restrictions lifted but minimal precautions stay in place such masks.

2/24/2022

www.thaipbsworld.com

Your summary is a bit lacking, shall we say…

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/no-travel-restrictions-during-songkran-nsc-chief/

“He said, however, that it is not possible for the celebration to be totally normal, noting that social gatherings, parties and other high-risk activities will still be prohibited, but inter-provincial travel will not.”

• Like 1